Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 PM

188 posts, read 150,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yes but....that's not what he heard on Fox News.... it's because of a permissive liberal heathen culture. Nothing else. Good white christian's know that you're supposed to live in the suburbs. Duh.
Lol. You could not have failed worse at presuming to guess my stance on politics or religion. Present yourself like something other than a 12 year old if you really want to be taken seriously in this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:37 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Differ with research data all you like. Your two cents will be different than mine, and like I said if you are involved in surveying appropriate sample sizes of people, you will start to see a number of factors emerge for the reasons marriage is on the decline. Many of which are available to you and anyone else via reading, so do not limit your perspective to your or my opinion.
Quote:
Every non-married male friend I have says exactly something to this effect "no way I'm getting tied up in that cluster of a court system". They know the odds of it all not ending in divorce are against them.
Doesn't sound like research data to me. Can you Google some for me??

Old 08-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Doesn't sound like research data to me. Can you Google some for me??
Funny, someone else in this thread was confused about how to do that. Perhaps some of you could form a support group and lunch and learn around how to do this?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:42 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,552,171 times
Quote:
Funny, someone else in this thread was confused about how to do that. Perhaps some of you could form a support group and lunch and learn around how to do this?
Let me google that for you

Old 08-26-2016, 01:33 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,885,259 times
Quote:
I love these guys who pop up on forums right out of the clear blue sky. Thanks for the intertainment buddy

Old 08-26-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I love these guys who pop up on forums right out of the clear blue sky. Thanks for the intertainment buddy
Those guys aren't new, and they've got the rep points and join dates to prove it! What I love is when the state unleashes the spelling bee champions on the rest of society, all at once like they always seem to do.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,058,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
They're popping up everywhere in the Five Points neighborhood as people tear down smaller houses on decent size lots and build huge houses that are pretty much on top of one another (drive down Bickett Boulevard if you're ever in the area). I personally don't think they'll suffer there because of the location but it'll be interesting to see how they perform financially. (Most of them don't even have a backyard because the house occupies all of the plot of land)
When I was looking for my first home to purchased, I actually looked at a home on Bickett. It was teeny tiny at 850 square feet and I decided against it because it needed about 20K in immediate work that I didn't have the cash to complete. Looking back, I think that the house was listed for $48,000. I could certainly afford that price. I just didn't have the reno money in the bank. If anyone is curious as to the date associated with that price, let's just say that it was probably before pierretong1991 was born.

As for the reno's in the 5 points area, I am very familiar with the activity. In fact, a good friend of mine recently completed one of these renovations on an existing foundation of the former home and doubled the footage by going to 2 stories. I am not sure that I would call it a McMansion per se based on the growing consensus of what a McMansion is architecturally.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,058,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yes but....that's not what he heard on Fox News.... it's because of a permissive liberal heathen culture. Nothing else.

Good white christian's know that you're supposed to live in the suburbs. Duh.
This post needed a to translate the sarcasm that I think was intended.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This post needed a to translate the sarcasm that I think was intended.
Somewhere on the planet, there is a committee hard at work right now trying to obtain consensus on an appropriate emoticon to represent juvenile d-baggery. I put in my vote for a kid on a trike with a propeller beanie, but I haven't heard back yet . It would have been perfect for his post.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:12 PM

6,335 posts, read 5,427,906 times
Quote:
Lol. You could not have failed worse at presuming to guess my stance on politics or religion. Present yourself like something other than a 12 year old if you really want to be taken seriously in this discussion.
I might suggest taking your own advice.

Anyways back on topic. I think that in general, nationwide, millennials tend to gravitate towards urban areas moreso than generations past. I think that the reason they stay longer is more along the lines of most of our generation waiting longer to get married and have kids (this is the case nationwide, but not so much in the triangle...which is why I don't think the "most move ITB" trend is big among folks my age). Once the spouse and the offspring come along; there is still a preference of the house with the yard in the good school district.

I will say that a national trend that I see continuing..and is slow to start here in the Triangle but is indeed picking up...is the gravitation more toward the "inner ring" suburbs. Not very long ago these were the places people predicted would be emptying out and decaying as young people moved to the city center and everyone else moved further out into the ex-urbs. I think millennials will be more inclined to take a slightly smaller and older house that is still closer to work and amenities than the shiny bigger new one on the fringes. I think this is especially true in the Triangle and especially in Western Wake Co. as new construction has gotten ridiculously expensive there and much more practical homes can be had at more reasonable prices in the older established areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary