Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:03 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuen75 View Post
And since it's your neighbor's complaining, after you do what you need to do to meet hoa guidelines, I recommending dumping your cans and bottles of recycling very slowly early morning or late at night. That will certainly drive them up the wall. My neighbor's complained when we took down trees that were already approved by the hoa. So now I let the kids play basketball before getting on the school bus.
You must be at the very top of the invite list for neighborhood pot lucks and cocktail parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:58 AM

74 posts, read 67,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuen75 View Post
And since it's your neighbor's complaining, after you do what you need to do to meet hoa guidelines, I recommending dumping your cans and bottles of recycling very slowly early morning or late at night. That will certainly drive them up the wall. My neighbor's complained when we took down trees that were already approved by the hoa. So now I let the kids play basketball before getting on the school bus.
I had some problems with neighbors annoying kids playing basketball and screaming in the morning. I bought one of those hobbyist "mosquito" units (that broadcast the piercing frequency that can't be heard over the age of 18 or so) and piped the output through the stereo amp and out the window. No more kids hanging around within about a 4 house radius.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:29 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
There are more non-HOA neighborhoods that look lousy to a homebuyer than there are ones that do not, generally speaking.

I'm glad yours is an exception. Unfortunately, you could have a neighbor sell nearby you tomorrow and have some slobs move in that put their car up on blocks in the front yard.

Unless you do have some covenants?

You can have covenants and no HOA.

As to the OP's issue, I'd push back if your cans really are hidden from street view.

I would probably also consider building a lattice "trash and recycling corral" so everyone would just **** about it in the first place. Those look quite attractive, generally speaking.
No covenants
We all just do what we want when we want. It's funny though because nobody leaves their trash cans out or keeps their lawns untidy. If you drove by neighborhood you would think that there is an HOA though

Old 09-16-2016, 12:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
No covenants
We all just do what we want when we want. It's funny though because nobody leaves their trash cans out or keeps their lawns untidy. If you drove by neighborhood you would think that there is an HOA though
You are very fortunate. You should hope nobody ever sells.

I am in an HOA neighborhood where we really don't have control over our HOA (and the neighborhood has been finished for years, but it's a long story). I think that people just keep things nice because that's the tone of the neighborhood.

And, as I type this, I hear a very loud "Can't Find My Way Home" (Blind Faith) cranking outside somewhere. That is SO odd. Fortunately, I like that song. LOL.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:32 AM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
My neighborhood is part of this mess:

Police estimate $500K missing in Garner HOA embezzlement investigation :: WRAL.com

Old 09-17-2016, 08:28 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I read all of the HOA documents and there's nothing in there about trash sheds or similar structures. It says any outdoor structures such as hose reels, etc should TRY to match the color of the house. It does say dog houses are not permitted.

I don't care about the HOA - I'm going to invite a friend who is a local woodworker to build me a nice storage shed and paint it to match the house color, and will put it against the side of the house.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:09 PM

111 posts, read 88,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwalla View Post
I had some problems with neighbors annoying kids playing basketball and screaming in the morning. I bought one of those hobbyist "mosquito" units (that broadcast the piercing frequency that can't be heard over the age of 18 or so) and piped the output through the stereo amp and out the window. No more kids hanging around within about a 4 house radius.
Are you referring to one of these devices?

Mosquito Device Anti Loitering

And if so, may I ask where you purchased yours?

Old 09-17-2016, 05:12 PM

390 posts, read 366,211 times
If it continues to be a problem, Reddit offers some wonderful suggestions for taking legal revenge in horrible horrible ways on your HOA (generally not recommended) or HOA board members (generally highly recommended).

Old 09-18-2016, 08:24 AM

74 posts, read 67,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelru View Post
Are you referring to one of these devices?

Mosquito Device Anti Loitering

And if so, may I ask where you purchased yours?
I bought it many years ago from a guy that was making them in his home workshop. I think he was making and selling them on ebay on a hobby, I bought direct from him after meeting him on a website where people restore old arcade machines and such. It's not a commercial grade unit like that website, nor outdoor mountable just basically a small wooden box, you have to run an audio cable from the box to something like an amp or boom box to make it loud enough for outside use.

It does work, no more kids loitering. lol. But I don't think you need external hardware these days unless you're running a business and kids hanging around are a problem. For basic consumers they have mobile phone apps that do the same thing as the DIY unit I have.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I'm actually trying to build a trash shed myself with good pressure-treated lumbar and to the side of the house, and it will match the paint color of the house exactly. I bought the same paint color number from Sherwin Williams.

Has anyone had problems with their HOAs refusing to allow trash sheds along the side of the house, painted to match the color? I pretty much have no answers to my questions (I live in a new construction neighborhood and not all of the houses are sold; therefore, the HOA is not transferred to homeowners yet).

Here is an example: it will be painted to match the house
Cedar Outdoor Storage Sheds For Trash Can and Recycling Bin Storage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary