Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:29 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Do you think Cary may be loaded with bigots? Perish the thought.
The only thing worse than a bigot is a hypocritical bigot.

That article provides zero useful information on why the decision was made. But lets jump to conclusions as we always do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 AM

678 posts, read 738,350 times
"not a good fit for the neighborhood"

"We don't want those types around here"

also stated as, "we want to preserve the character of our neighborhood"

Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I read that they were worried about excess traffic, property values, and runoff.

Not sure how much anyone sticking their nose up knows about Cary, but that runoff issue can be a real concern. 23 houses were to be built. Now, there will be 9 single-family houses.

So, really, nobody rejected Habitat outright. They just rejected cramming 23 houses where 9 were a better fit.

Not seeing the story here except that the homeowners near the project have every right to share their concerns.

They did, and Habitat is still building homes.

But, let's bash Cary some more, shall we?

Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I read that they were worried about excess traffic, property values, and runoff.

Not sure how much anyone sticking their nose up knows about Cary, but that runoff issue can be a real concern. 23 houses were to be built. Now, there will be 9 single-family houses.

So, really, nobody rejected Habitat outright. They just rejected cramming 23 houses where 9 were a better fit.

Not seeing the story here except that the homeowners near the project have every right to share their concerns.

They did, and Habitat is still building homes.

But, let's bash Cary some more, shall we?
From what I understand, the project was scaled back to 9 houses and it was still rejected?

Quote:
The plan was scaled back to nine detached homes after neighbors said the new houses would lead to increased traffic, more flooding and declining property values.

Cary's board members said they support the organization but decided the project was not a good fit for the neighborhood.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Do you think Cary may be loaded with bigots? Perish the thought.
I think Cary is loaded with NIMBY's, just like ANYWHERE else.

Too many people: "I've got mine, I'm not worried about yours". Not at all unique to Cary. I posted earlier in this discussion, I think all the people who live in this part of town (my part) are all from somewhere else, and therefore hypocritical when saying growth is bad.

Same for you Cap. You came from NY, and now you're against growth. Doesn't make you a bigot, just a hypocrite.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I read the article that even the 9 were denied.

But again the article is so horribly written, who knows.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
From what I understand, the project was scaled back to 9 houses and it was still rejected?
Right - that's why I sighed. The quote about the project not being "a good fit" for the neighborhood didn't scream runoff, and there are also ways to deal with runoff?

Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 AM

555 posts, read 501,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Right - that's why I sighed. The quote about the project not being "a good fit" for the neighborhood didn't scream runoff, and there are also ways to deal with runoff?
Exactly. If officials are truly concerned primarily about runoff and increased traffic from 9 new houses, there are a lot of building projects in this area that need to be shut down immediately.

This entire thing is very sad to me. While I can potentially understand the concern about a couple of dozen townhouses packed into 2 acres, the fact that the project was still rejected after trying to address those supposed concerns reveals a lot about the attitudes in those making the decision. Not bashing or supporting Cary. But it has to raise some eyebrows at the very least.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Way back, when this topic was first posted, they were considering 23 homes, then after talking with neighborhood people and understanding their concerns, regarding character (which I can agree with as 23 attached homes in a detached home neighborhood didn't see, like a good fit) they changed to 9 detached homes. Last night, the PZB voted against that also. Will be interesting to see what the council does.

I beleive from previous writings, that the council has directed public works to look into the pre existing runoff problems and work on a solution. So, potentially that will be fixed either way and certainly they can design 9 lots to not have an adverse effect, assuming that the structures down stream for them are made adequate. This is something all cities and towns will do here and there when it crops up because sometimes things might have been adequate 50 years ago, become trapped with silt, damaged or just can't keep up with runoff coming form well away.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Way back, when this topic was first posted, they were considering 23 homes, then after talking with neighborhood people and understanding their concerns, regarding character (which I can agree with as 23 attached homes in a detached home neighborhood didn't see, like a good fit) they changed to 9 detached homes. Last night, the PZB voted against that also. Will be interesting to see what the council does.

I beleive from previous writings, that the council has directed public works to look into the pre existing runoff problems and work on a solution. So, potentially that will be fixed either way and certainly they can design 9 lots to not have an adverse effect, assuming that the structures down stream for them are made adequate. This is something all cities and towns will do here and there when it crops up because sometimes things might have been adequate 50 years ago, become trapped with silt, damaged or just can't keep up with runoff coming form well away.

Factually, in accordance with typical development standards, 7000-8000 SF lots inserted into a neighborhood of 11,000+SF lots is a reasonably questionable fit.
http://townofcary.org/home/showdocument?id=14437

I think Habitat may have poisoned their own well with the original 23 unit proposal in the same area.
They may have done OK with 9 as an original proposal. 23? Easy to oppose.

But, once you get people outraged it is hard to back them off it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary