Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 04:34 PM

39 posts, read 63,085 times

Advertisements

We started south and visited Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs, Apex, Garner, Angier, Clayton, South Raleigh, and a few other places closer to Fayetteville. Left feeling a little deflated. We visited a few times over the past two years and I feel like every time we get near the west side of Raleigh (Apex, Holly Springs direction), we see more growth and traffic (what we are trying to get away from). I can see this area continuing to grow and become congested very easily. We didn't really like Garner at all. Out of all the areas, Clayton seemed the best for what we want: more suburban feel to town and opportunity to be rural but still reach Raleigh within 30-40 minutes. An acre of land with decent home is within our target price range ($250ish). Schools are decent, plenty of shopping and food, but not too built up like where we are coming from (Tampa area). My thought process is that since Clayton is built on such a small downtown platform with charm and old brick buildings, it won't be "built up" and become super congested like so many places do. I could be way off base here, but that is the gut feeling I get after seeing towns that grow where we've lived before.

We have the entire day to explore tomorrow and then leave Sunday am. Please leave me any suggestions about other locations to check out that may make sense. We don't want to leave FL to live somewhere else with the same growth problems. We want rural to suburban with decent public schools for our son (in 6th grade), but within reach of decent jobs (she's a RN and I work in college administration management).

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 04:50 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Your problem is your budget. You're right, this area is not for you. The sprawl will spread just like it always does. Clayton will not be immune and just give a longer commute.

We don't know what locations might make sense for you because we don't know where your job would be.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:53 PM

69 posts, read 62,622 times
Move to a smaller town around tampa. This place will continue to get worse

Old 10-11-2019, 04:53 PM

I appreciate your honesty. We can afford a place for $350 in the growing areas, but don't want that. Perhaps I'd like to believe that Clayton will be immune, but probably wont.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyp555 View Post
Move to a smaller town around tampa. This place will continue to get worse
Was hoping for somewhere without 7 month summers. lol. We literally hate Tampa weather.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:00 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Once 540 reaches I-40 south of Raleigh, I would expect to see growth in Garner and Clayton as it will make a huge difference in commute times to job centers with longer commutes today.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

We don't know what locations might make sense for you because we don't know where your job would be.
I must have missed this sentence when you first posted.

I could work Campbell University, NC State, or Wake Tech (multiple campuses). My wife is an RN and case manager, so could literally work anywhere. We saw a UNC Health campus near Clayton that looked nice. I could work UNC too, but not sure Chapel Hill is our cup of tea.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Once 540 reaches I-40 south of Raleigh, I would expect to see growth in Garner and Clayton as it will make a huge difference in commute times to job centers with longer commutes today.
Well that makes sense I heard about that project and it looked to me like it would flood Garner and surrounding areas with traffic and potential growth surges. Ehhh, perhaps will just enjoy the day tomorrow and head back to the drawing board. Sucks, we love NC in general, very clean, decent schools and much better weather.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:14 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo459sx View Post
I must have missed this sentence when you first posted.

I could work Campbell University, NC State, or Wake Tech (multiple campuses). My wife is an RN and case manager, so could literally work anywhere. We saw a UNC Health campus near Clayton that looked nice. I could work UNC too, but not sure Chapel Hill is our cup of tea.
You could definitely get a property and setting more your speed with a commute of under 40 minutes to UNC. This is possible in eastern Chatham, Northern/Western Orange, and Eastern Alamance counties.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:17 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"An acre of land with decent home is within our target price range ($250ish)"
good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary