Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
My parents want to drive 500+ miles south today. Major roads look nice and clear, but I think they should wait until the sun comes out more just to be safer.
I think that's probably a really bad idea, but don't take the random word of an internet stranger. Check out NC511 and SC11 and GA511 and FL511. They got a lot of snow in Savannah and Charleston, more than we did here.

Video: LIVE updates on roads in Effingham County, the Lowcountry, I-95 near Pooler and Wilmington Island | WSAV-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:08 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyforlife View Post
Work on Oberlin Road off of Wade. Wade was wet and clear. Oberlin pretty much the same. The side streets to get here (Trinity and Edwards Mill) were slick with snow. Just need to go slow. And PLEASE remove as much snow from your vehicles as you can! Still see so many drivers out there with windshields barely cleared.
Good to hear - I took the long way up to 440 instead of Wade because I didn't want to get stuck trying to get up one of those hills!

Old 01-04-2018, 08:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Ditto. It stayed wet for a whopping 20 or 30 minutes and was then covered. Makes me wonder how useful brine really is.

I am 100% positive brine is useful at destroying a car.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:14 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Snowmageddon ended here before midnight leaving well under an inch accumulation.

The streets in the sun are completely clear, those in the shade have some coverage left for now, look safe, and with the brine I doubt any of it is icy.

Snow on the grass and sidewalks (many salted) is light, the grass is showing through 50/50, with the wind it's blowing away, with the sun I expect much of it will be gone by tonight.

I'm only staying off the roads as I just washed all that NE brine the car (it's way worse than salt) and I ain't about to do that again so soon.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:19 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I am 100% positive brine is useful at destroying a car.
Which reminds me that I should wait a few days before hitting the car wash since now everyone is going to be going there.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
440 and Wake Forest Road were completely cleared of snow so the major roads appear to be ok. Jones Franklin Road (where I work) was a little iffy but drive-able if you take it slow.
Six Forks was clear as well and 440, but Wade to 40 was a little iffy and Miami, Davis, TW Alexander and Kit Creek are all white and snow pack

Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would need a pressing deadline to go out this morning.
Not that I would be afraid to, but why not wait a bit for even better roads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think that's probably a really bad idea, but don't take the random word of an internet stranger. Check out NC511 and SC11 and GA511 and FL511. They got a lot of snow in Savannah and Charleston, more than we did here.

Video: LIVE updates on roads in Effingham County, the Lowcountry, I-95 near Pooler and Wilmington Island | WSAV-TV
They just left about 20 minutes ago. It's not the road conditions right now on 40 and 95 that are that bad, but there's significant traffic in South Carolina but it's about 2 and a half hours from here. They've been staying with our family here and there for months, so they were jonesing to get back home.

They're pretty savvy drivers and won't push it. If it's too dangerous, they'll stop.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

I agree. Convince them to stay with you and extra day or two. Today is not the day to be driving south (or north for that matter)!

Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I agree. Convince them to stay with you and extra day or two. Today is not the day to be driving south (or north for that matter)!
Too late for that. The sun is melting the snow and only the secondary roads are that bad. At this point, their worst problem is traffic, but if they're ok with it, so be it.

Once the sun goes down is what I worry about more but they should be in Florida by then, south of where the snow started.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM

25 posts, read 27,119 times
had to run an errand this morning; Davis and High House were covered with snow, the neighborhood roads were in much bad shape given they didn't brine them. Suspect that coming out from the community upto the main roads will be risky business tonight or even tomorrow and they might stay covered with melting ice until Sat/Sun. Don't see the temps going up to melt them anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary