Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 08:24 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They brined the hell out of my street and it's completely covered.
Ditto. It stayed wet for a whopping 20 or 30 minutes and was then covered. Makes me wonder how useful brine really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 08:31 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I've gotten about five inches in Sanford and it's still snowing.
I don't think I'll get the foot or more I always hope for...
That would prove to be crippling for the area considering that the weather won't warm up until Sunday/Monday. I mean, we get 2"-3" and everything shuts down for at least as many days, I couldn't imagine what a foot would do.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Ditto. It stayed wet for a whopping 20 or 30 minutes and was then covered. Makes me wonder how useful brine really is.
Same. Totally covered, brine underneath.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:42 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Anyone staying home from work tomorrow? ;D

Old 01-03-2018, 09:07 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They brined the hell out of my street and it's completely covered.
Since my 10pm post the roads are covered here as well. Still less than an inch.

The brine treatment up north last week allowed for complete cover but quick melting afterwards, I don't think they did any plowing as they only got 3-4" and the roads were clear hours later or the next day. It was colder there than here.

It looks like the kind of thing that's white for a few hours then melts or turns to slush, hopefully not to black ice.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Anyone staying home from work tomorrow? ;D
I telecommute already. But, if I didn't, I would tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
The brine doesn't prevent snow cover........it just prevents the roads from icing up which is much worse driving wise than snow. It's pretty much rock salt in liquid form - you throw it on your sidewalk and it's still going to be covered by snow but it's not going to turn to ice.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The brine doesn't prevent snow cover........it just prevents the roads from icing up which is much worse driving wise than snow. It's pretty much rock salt in liquid form - you throw it on your sidewalk and it's still going to be covered by snow but it's not going to turn to ice.
That doesn't make sense to me...if fluffy snow can survive on top of brine, why can't ice? Rock salt melts snow.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense to me...if fluffy snow can survive on top of brine, why can't ice? Rock salt melts snow.
The brine lowers the freezing point of the pavement. I think rock salt lowers the freezing point of water to 25 degrees and brine to much lower temperatures (Google says -6 degrees?). So if the temperature stays above that freezing point, the snow that is on the brined roads won't turn to ice.

https://www.ncdot.gov/travel/severeweather/winter.html

Among a number of benefits, brine:

Lowers the freezing temperature of water to about 18 degrees Fahrenheit (8 degrees below Celsius)
Prevents snow and ice from bonding with the road's surface

Keeps snow from being compacted by traffic, which can turn it into ice
Is more effective and coats roadways better than plain salt or sand
Gives crews time, since brining can occur up to 48 hours prior to a storm
Costs 15 cents per gallon to produce. One mile of a single lane of road can be treated for about $6; rock salt costs about $14.38 to treat the same stretch of road.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The brine lowers the freezing point of the pavement. I think rock salt lowers the freezing point of water to 25 degrees and brine to much lower temperatures (Google says -6 degrees?). So if the temperature stays above that freezing point, the snow that is on the brined roads won't turn to ice.
It still doesn't make sense to me, but I'll take your word for it since I know you know more about this stuff.

But if ice can't form, how can snow remain unmelted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary