Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:26 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,104,796 times

Advertisements

I live in Holly Springs and would love to be able to spend more time there so perhaps I can take over your job if you leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:48 AM

18,113 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I agree but let us know if you want to try to stick it out a little longer and find more things to do here that you might like. We’re happy to help you explore our area but can’t change the weather.
huh? I'm not the one looking to move. I've been here many years.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
huh? I'm not the one looking to move. I've been here many years.
Maybe I didn't word that right. I quoted your comment because I agreed with what you said and was directing my comment about "finding more thing you like" to the OP. Sorry for the confusion. I edited it to clarify.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:44 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Some people say that it gets better with time, but others say it will only get worse. In my experience, it got worse.

I moved from NC to MO and immediately fell in love. I missed the beach and the mountains, but liked everything else about the state.

Then I moved from MO to TX and immediately hated it. I thought it would get better, but after a year it didn't. I landed a job in Chicago and have been here for over a year. It's not the perfect place and the cost of living is high, but the amenities are great.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:41 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
I would bet money OP will make more money or certainly lose less money buying a house here than buying one in Seattle right now. The pricing there is not sustainable and it's going to get ugly. 1,700sq ft shack sold for $1.25 million in my old neighborhood a few weeks ago. It's laughable. Seattle is not San Francisco, hello. See the weather out today, this is what it's like there for most of 9 months out of the year. Haha.
Not to mention that Washington is WAY OVERDUE for a big earthquake, and supposedly lives with same risk as California.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:52 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadesofkray View Post
I love that mindset

I think the parent aspect is a solid consideration. However, we lived in WA 6 1/2 years and 4 of those were with our son. We've taken him on family adventures from a young age. He's a little explorer. So much of what I miss doing I miss doing with my husband and son.

If we had another by accident NC would be a solid bet I think. Not in pur plans at least.

I was excited about a house, even a modest one (we rent) but it didn't wind up feeling worth it.

I think I see families here content with a simple lifestyle, and I'm not bashing that - I get it. Safe, quiet neighborhood, good school, soccer practice, church, weekend barbeque, good work / life balance. I'm this slightly eccentric, gypsy personality who itches for adventure and I feel like I haven't found my place here.
In my opinion, The Triangle and NC as a whole offers one of the best compromises of many things

in the country.

It offers a little bit of many things, and but specializes in none:

1) Some Southern-ness

2) Some city-ness

3) Some small-town qualities

4) Some affordability

5) Some exposure to all 4 seasons of weather.

6) Some affordability compared to other areas across the country.

7) Short drives to Beaches and mountains.

8) an abundance of reputable higher education options mostly for in-state students...

9) All while living in one of the country's best-run states (politics not included)..

10) Natural beauty of one of the country's more attractive regions.

Check out Carrboro, the Zoo in Asheboro, Old Salem, NC's respectable aquariums, the 3 distinctly different coastal regions, Hell, even the destitute attempts at the arts in my rural hometown of Louisburg.

Their long, gray ponytails & ill-fitting drab attire worn as they paint bowls of fruit standing behind an easel, might match your definition of a gypsy, who knows?

I would be contemplating suicide daily if I had to live with the dreary and chilly conditions of even San Francisco.

Exposure to the sun really does activate some feel-good chemicals for me, and overcast conditions connote the very opposite for my optimism quotient.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I would be contemplating suicide daily if I had to live with the dreary and chilly conditions of even San Francisco.

Exposure to the sun really does activate some feel-good chemicals for me, and overcast conditions connote the very opposite for my optimism quotient.
You should probably consider moving to San Francisco then. They have >20% more sunny days than Raleigh. But, don't let facts stop your bias!

Personally I'd do Santa Barbra over San Fran though. Way nicer.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:24 AM

71 posts, read 60,750 times
I need heat with my sun otherwise I don’t notice it. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:54 AM

28 posts, read 25,615 times
We visited Santa Barbara a couple years ago and I love it. There's that affordability challenge again

Old 03-31-2018, 10:29 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
I need heat with my sun otherwise I don’t notice it. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Attributed to Mark Twain, but origin unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary