Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 08:08 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times

Advertisements

Waste is inevitable but it looks like Wegmans tries to be a good corporate citizen.

https://www.wegmans.com/news-media/p...-another-.html

Where there are large amounts of food preparation, there are large amounts of food scraps - but that doesn’t have to equate to food waste. Wegmans Food Markets is committed to finding innovative ways to recycle, such as partnering with local organizations and farmers to turn food scraps into something useful, like the compost used to “grow” your next pint of beer.
Currently,75 Wegmans stores have programs in place that divert food scraps from landfills by offering them as feed for local livestock, or sending them for composting or anaerobic digestion. In Pennsylvania, Wegmans partners with Ned Foley at Two Particular Acres, a 35-acre farm in Montgomery County to make use of the food scraps from nine of its stores, totaling nearly 3 million pounds in 2016. Foley takes those and other food scraps and turns them into compost for fertilizing his crops, including barley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Awesome about the parking deck!

One of my favorite items from Wegmans is their basting oil. You don't even have to season meats if you cook with it. Use their basting oil and the meat comes out with great taste without adding anything but the oil.
It's very easy to make fresh yourself.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Found this concept of the Wegmans in Raleigh.

Attached Thumbnails
Wegmans Coming to Raleigh-wegmans-concept.jpg  

Old 08-29-2018, 03:27 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
We moved here last October from Syracuse NY - Wegmans country (their home base is in Rochester - 90 minutes west of Syracuse. In terms of cleanliness, ambiance, and customer service, Harris-Teeter is the closest thing to Wegmans that is currently in the Triangle. Its not all hype - they have a pretty amazing selection of goods, a huge and outstanding produce department, great in-store bakery,excellent seafood counter, and also typically include a dine-in area for the various food stations which serve meals on the spot or to go. In Syracuse, they added a "Burger Bar" two years ago - a separate restaurant inside the store that specializes in burgers and casual far. I haven't tried it, but friends speak highly of it. The are also a good corporate citizen. Most years they come in at #1 or #2 on the list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For. Part time employees (20 hours or more) qualify for benefits, and they have good scholarship awards for high school students that work there, go to college, and are willing to come back and work in the summer. Customer service is outstanding. Every time more than about three customers are in line at all the registers... more registers just magically open with more staff - they are VERY good at what they do.

What don't I like? They usually open massive stores - 100,000 to 120,000 square feet. My shopping is often very tightly focused with a limited list. It's a chore to park at the back of the lot (their lots are nearly always packed,) walk past all the stuff I'm not interested in, then get back out. It also tends to be really crowded unless you go at off hours. We'll probably wait until they've been open for several months before trying to wade in. Also - they have a habit if stocking a brand name item you may like, next to their store brand, then stop stocking the name brand item in order to shift sales to the more profitable store brand. Lots of their store brand stuff is really good but sometimes there is a difference - and I want what I want. It's a nitpick but its a fact.

Some naysayers will claim that Wegmans is super-expensive. If you compare apples-to-apples they are about the same as their competitors. Its the luxury items (white truffles at $100+ per pound, Prime Grade Dry Aged beef for $22 per pound, etc.) If you avoid impulse shopping and work from a list - they are price competitive. We won't do all of our shopping there - we will stick to Aldi's, Lidl, and Harris Teeter - but will definitely visit Wegmans about once each month or so.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:43 PM

I don't see any closeness between Harris Teeter and Wegmans. Maybe in customer service but that's it. I lived in Rochester and Ithaca and shopped at Wegmans so I'm pretty familiar with them.

I'm in agreement with waiting until after the initial surge weeks/month(s) after opening. Good thing is that the one on Davis Drive is about 3 miles from work so I'll be able to hit it weekdays when I just spend a few hours in the office.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:22 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I don't see any closeness between Harris Teeter and Wegmans. Maybe in customer service but that's it. I lived in Rochester and Ithaca and shopped at Wegmans so I'm pretty familiar with them.
I shopped at Wegmans for 40 years prior to moving here, thus I think am am reasonably familiar with them.
What I said was "Harris-Teeter is the closest thing to Wegmans that is currently in the Triangle." I didn't suggest that they were close in terms of overall selection, size, scope, etc. Far from it. That being said, we've tried Kroger (now gone,) Lowe's Food, Publix, Food Lion, Compare Foods, Fresh Market, Sprouts, and Whole Foods. The last three on the list each have a few characteristics that Wegmans does in terms of niche items, and While Foods generally has nice ambiance and displays, but those are all niche players. In our experience, in and around Raleigh, Harris Teeter is a bit better than the rest. That's all. Not "almost as good as" or "close to," but unless we've missed something, HT is pretty much the best of the major grocery stores - until Wegmans opens. Not looking to be argumentative here - I was simply concerned that I did not get my message across clearly.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:06 PM

Got it...wasn't being snarky.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
Just read that store opening confirmed for Fall 2019, looks like they’ll start hiring soon. Mailers went out to some local residents. I’ll be counting days.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:34 PM

The Davis Drive location is still flat...no vertical structures. Looks like they are finishing up the parking areas at this point...all cemented in.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:52 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
The Davis Drive location is still flat...no vertical structures. Looks like they are finishing up the parking areas at this point...all cemented in.
They've started on the store pad as well in the last week or so. This is normally a bad time of year for bringing projects out of the ground and it's been worse than usual so I'm sure they are a bit behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary