Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 06:19 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Correct. I did always find it funny that many Scots-Irish claim "American" as their ancestry.

My dad has our genealogy back 58 generations (may god have mercy on FamilyTree.com if their cloud servers ever blow up) and my material grandmother's English side (she has Irish as well) we can trace back to 1638 in the US....and even then I would never consider my Ancestry "American". LOL
I have a distant aunt with a similar hobby and in her geneology book she has a grant of land from the king around the cape fear river

it's funny to me because the scots-irish are probably one of the most backbone demographics of america but rarely acknowledged

its kind of a confused term which i've always understood to be northern ireland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 04:53 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
it's funny to me because the scots-irish are probably one of the most backbone demographics of america but rarely acknowledged

its kind of a confused term which i've always understood to be northern ireland
It does create some confusion because Scots-Irish aren't (weren't?) Irish at all, but were protestant, lowland Scots were resettled to what we now call Northern Ireland by the English government.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:16 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I agree with you. Outside NC, SC and maybe VA, people don't know the Triangle or what RTP is. Honestly, people in rural NC don't even know what RTP is. I remember in 2014 when I first moved here from Fayetteville, I told a daycare worker I was got a job in RTP and she said what's that? Same with a friend/former coworker of mine. About a month later I was exploring and I was at a Walmart in Cary...no GPS, ajd I asked the cashier how to get back to RTP and she said she had no idea what that was.

Furthermore, I got married a few days ago in Asheville ajd my family came in from everywhere (Australia, Puerto Rico, MA, NY, AR, WA, FL, GA)...I asked Australian cousin what she knew about NC coming in (she hadn't been to the states in 15 years) and she said her and her circle only knew that it was "that state in the south that hates gay people". She never heard of Charlotte, Raleigh or RTP. Heard of Duke Uni but had no idea it was even in NC. My MA grandpa when I asked, he knew of Raleigh because of proximity to Duke/Durham, where he has some people. Grandma from NY never heard of RTP but knows Raleigh is capital and thought Charlotte was SC. And that pretty much continued. I know I know, all anecdotal, but interesting.
Lots of people are geographically illiterate. Like 20% can’t find the Pacific Ocean on a map. Regardless. Incidentally “RTP” isn’t what it is commonly called. Or at least it’s not it’s most used name. The (Triangle) Park is heard the most. And an Australian didn’t know about NC cities or job centers? Shocking.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:24 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Big difference in not knowing where the Pacific Ocean is and regional/local terms for specific job centers inside states.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The documentary "Shenandoah" certainly gave some evidence to support this stereotype.

As my neighbors from Pittsburg say, Pennsyltucky

Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
You don’t meet a lot of Pennsylvanians outside the state nor do you see many license plates out of states considering how large the population is. It seems to be a insular state.

It also has the largest rural population in the country with NC being 2nd.

Some of it may be resentment considering the mass migration to the sunbelt, a reality that can’t go unnoticed.

Just wait a couple of decades when it will be so hot that people start moving North again

Old 11-13-2019, 04:20 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
You don’t meet a lot of Pennsylvanians outside the state nor do you see many license plates out of states considering how large the population is. It seems to be a insular state.

Some of it may be resentment considering the mass migration to the sunbelt, a reality that can’t go unnoticed.

Just wait a couple of decades when it will be so hot that people start moving North again

I see tons of Penn State license plates, bumper stickers, etc on the streets and roads, and have worked with quite a few Pennsylvanians.
PA is in the top ten list of states for population loss due to domestic migration:
https://www.thespruce.com/map-shows-...moving-2435876

But, we sure were rural outside of a few urban areas. Definitely. The lack of career stability and growth opportunity in rural areas is one driver of that migration.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:23 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I would think Texas would have a larger rural population being a much larger state.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:37 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I would think Texas would have a larger rural population being a much larger state.

Seems reasonable.
But...
This is 30 years old Census data, and what I pulled up the quickest. Shows PA with a higher rural population count.
I suspect PA has lost rural residents, considering what I know about shrinking school population in rural areas....

https://www.allcountries.org/uscensu...on_and_by.html

Old 11-13-2019, 10:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I see tons of Penn State license plates, bumper stickers, etc on the streets and roads, and have worked with quite a few Pennsylvanians.
PA is in the top ten list of states for population loss due to domestic migration:
https://www.thespruce.com/map-shows-...moving-2435876

But, we sure were rural outside of a few urban areas. Definitely. The lack of career stability and growth opportunity in rural areas is one driver of that migration.
It would be nice to see an age breakdown. Many boomers and retirees are leaving the northern states. But the opposite is also true, many younger folks are flowing into northern states with better job prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary