Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2020, 03:48 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,344,686 times

Advertisements

Over 200,000 dead in the US since March. If that is not sobering, I am not sure what is. We have surpassed the death toll from WWI and are halfway to the death toll of WWII which occurred over 4 years. I hate to think what the death toll will be at one year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 04:01 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Over 200,000 dead in the US since March. If that is not sobering, I am not sure what is. We have surpassed the death toll from WWI and are halfway to the death toll of WWII which occurred over 4 years. I hate to think what the death toll will be at one year.

At the current rate, we'll pass WW2 Combat deaths (note I didn't say total US WW2 Deaths) around 2nd week of December and will have done so in roughly 9 months.

To steal (and then play with) a line from far better speaker/writer than I, uttered many, many years ago in a letter to a mom in Boston, so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Markets.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:02 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
But they better look at the specifics of the deaths. There is a lot of excess due to the shutdown that should not be attributed to the virus. They also need to consider the lower deaths last year from an easy flu season. Many of the older, congregate living deaths from COVID were, sadly, catching up from last year.
they certainly should; whether they ever will since it seems a political matter is up in the air. At the end of the day, we'll have the excess deaths number which still isn't 100%

Old 09-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Could we agree that staging super spreader events indoors without masks with people screaming and yelling in close proximity could be a "bad idea". Maybe modeling the wearing of a mask could be prudent?

What are the plans for the Fall's onslaught? The scientists (maybe even including the ones who created the vaccine) believe we may be in for a second wave. Let's hope there are ample N95 masks and other supplies at this point in time. This is a true crisis and may even have to take some time and energy away from other tasks at hand.
The person you're referring to in paragraph one - I would agree that the attendees should abide by the laws of the place the event is. Should he, or any speaker that's many feet away from others? That's an unscientific opinion.

As to P2, let me repeat your words: "Scientists...maybe...believe we may be". I sure hope every single person out there thinks there is a POSSIBILITY (may) we'll have a new wave of infections until a vaccine is available and effective. Do they have any data to back up a likelihood %?

Old 09-22-2020, 04:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
They’ve been saying we’re in for a 2nd wave since May. Even that got politicized when they said that FL, AZ, etc were a “2nd wave†when it was very clear that it wasn’t.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:13 PM

498 posts, read 854,791 times
Here is the NYT article referencing cycle thresholds. We canNOT compare the US to other countries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/h...%20the%20virus.

Another article -
https://www.infectiousdiseaseadvisor...ly-discharged/

If the US labs would use 30 cycles instead of 40, 1) the public would not be so "freaked out" and 2) contact tracing could actually work because they would know is actually sick rather than adding in people who aren't going to transmit the disease. Why don't they want to do this? More money in cases?

As for over 200,000 dead, what portion are from accidents and suicide with COVID? How many were in the hospital for some totally unrelated reason and tested (falsely) positive? How many would have died from the flu the season before, but didn't catch it since it was such a light flu season? The data, at the moment, is a bit of a mess. I hope it can be sorted out one day.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
What is the cause of death in younger healthy people due to COVID-19 who have no big past medical history? You guys who think the virus is exaggerated don't have an answer for that. All you keep blaming are the "high-risk" populations.

"HOUSTON, Texas -- A Houston doctor who was diagnosed with COVID-19 this summer has died, according to her family.

Dr. Adeline Fagan, 28, was starting her second year of residency in Houston as an OB/GYN when she got sick in July."

https://abc11.com/health/doctor-from...ation/6479891/
I assume whoever "we guys" are that you're addressing believe that person died from COVID. There's your answer. Some people absolutely have died because of COVID.

Some people have died because of what Covid did to their body. Some people died because their bodies were so compromised, COVID pushed them over the edge. And some died "with" Covid but not yet clear what contribution it played in their death.

But maybe I'm not the "you guys" you're talking about

Old 09-22-2020, 04:16 PM

498 posts, read 854,791 times
Here is a video explaining what looks like a second wave in European countries is really a "casedemic." The cases go up, but deaths are essentially nil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvFhIFzaac

Old 09-22-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I know there are deaths that show up from months ago, but I think it's a few here and there. Wayland probably has the data. But MA has been in very good shape for about four months now. It seems unlikely that the typical time from admission to death is 3 or 4 months. Maybe I'm wrong.

It would be helpful to know the average time from admission to death.
it would, and why they don't provide that stat is just another log on the fire.

As I said earlier, deaths generally follow 10-20 days (really is close to the 20 days since May) after positivity. When cases peak, deaths peak by 20 days later. So the correlation ends then, yes? I don't want to use a specific math/science term incorrectly.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Thanks GV. I did miss that discussion in the old thread. Appreciate you letting me know.
And for any that don't know, a "cycle" relates how many times they run the sample, testing for the virus. Each time is apparently more sensitive. Even the 30 cycles they run in the UK https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54000629 they say is catching a lot of "dead virus fragments only" - incapable of being contagious - at some point. They just, for some reason, don't say the average number.

They also haven't determined/said something like "after X cycles, there doesn't appear to be enough viral load to be contagious".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary