Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:35 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times

Advertisements

Kinkos ..if you hit them at the right time ..
Great sturdy boxes with lids ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We purchased boxes through U-Haul since we were moving long distance and storing our stuff in a POD. They have many sizes/types, some specific for dishware, lamps, artwork etc. They're not cheap but worth the extra money to allow for various types of packing. They also sell tape guns, bubble wrap, mattress/sofa covers and much more. They can be purchased at a U-Haul store or online.
I second UHaul. We actually were told by our last mover that they had excellent prices. We're currently packing for our move back to VA and were at UHaul purchasing supplies yesterday. Luckily we saved many of our boxes from our last move. Their tape is excellent. If you have a lot of boxes, I would highly recommend it.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,699 times
You can buy boxes from UHaul and/or Public Storage. Usually Sam and Costco offer a moving box package.

I've also used liquor bottle boxes from the ABC store and egg crate boxes from the grocery. However, I always fear that there are creepy, crawlies that I can't see in those boxes. Stockrooms tend to have bugs just by nature of the environment.

You can also check out Craigslist and Freecycle.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:57 AM

492 posts, read 2,107,764 times
For do-it-yourself or local moves, any sturdy boxes (liquor, etc) will do. However, if you are moving long distance with professional movers, but packing yourself, see if they have requirements. Also note that if you are using a POD or ABF to move, the more uniform your boxes are, the more efficiently you can pack the space.

Definitely check craigslist for free or very cheap moving boxes. Also check with local movers -- some have used boxes for sale (on full service relo moves, they usually haul away the emptied boxes, and then resell them).

Old 05-18-2008, 09:15 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
For do-it-yourself or local moves, any sturdy boxes (liquor, etc) will do. However, if you are moving long distance with professional movers, but packing yourself, see if they have requirements.
Good point - when I did my move from VA to NC I went with boxes in standard sizes that would stack in the truck more easily. I bought them from Boxes, Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Cardboard Boxes - ULINE - and then later gave them away via Craigslist.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 AM

93 posts, read 330,527 times
Thanks. I am looking into getting a pod and will plan to get some standard size boxes since we are moving from the northeast to NC. I checked the prices on the boxes at Uline's website and found that for a package that would cost $100, the shipping is $117. There are other places that don't charge for shipping.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Yeah, with U-Line you have to compare total costs including shipping - it still worked out cheaper for me, but I also was able to have the boxes shipped to my workplace. I should add I didn't order a kit - just boxes in different sizes (i.e. 60 boxes in 3 sizes for an average of $1.92 each including shipping).

Costco also has moving kits, if you are a member there.

edit: Since you are moving long distance, I will throw in a plug for a great site about moving - Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams.

Last edited by adlnc07; 05-18-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-18-2008, 12:18 PM

93 posts, read 330,527 times
Thank you, everyone, for all your great help here. I really appreciate it.

adlnc, thank you for posting that link. I'll be sure to read it. We have had companies move us before, and there are definitely pros and cons. We've learned that we prefer to pack ourselves and also load it or have someone we trust to load it, because we've had too many things broken in the past. I can understand, however, why some people would be willing to take their chances and don't have the time or desire to do any of the work themselves. We are actually getting rid of a lot of things before we make this long-distance move, so it will make it much easier.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:21 PM

There's tons of great info on the Moving Scam site - it was extremely helpful to me for my move (i.e. how to find movers, how to pack so things don't break, etc.). There's also long discussions about moving using ABF/U-Pack type services. There are also some really terrible stories about rip off movers just outright robbing people. I had no idea such things went on until I started reading that site. It's downright scary!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM

107 posts, read 425,268 times
Default source of free boxes

When my husband and I moved from Durham we hired a company (located in Raleigh) to move us but we packed ourselves. The moving company actually had used boxes (all types, including dish packs )that we could go and pick up at their warehouse for free. We got all that we needed and we only took boxes that were in perfect condition. I would call around moving companies and ask. It saved us a lot of money. We also went to the Durham Herald-Sun office and got end roll paper (for free) that we used in packing as well. It was better than regular newspapers because it didn't have ink on it so it was cleaner. Again- all of it was free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary