Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:00 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times

Advertisements

That looks really nice - er but where is everybody?

Last edited by joey2000; 06-06-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 AM

161 posts, read 602,003 times
Thanks, MAtoNC, for bringing back Snowpea's great photos. What lovely old homes! And I wouldn't worry if the house next door is a little run-down; it will be restored soon enough!

It's interesting how people have different tastes. I'm with Lamishra; I far prefer central Cary to western. I prefer the interesting old houses and the downtown area to the "perfect" subdivisions and shopping centers. I prefer the authentic ethnic restaurants and locally-owned stores to the chains. It's good to remind people that Cary has both!

And my favorite place in Cary is on the east side: Hemlock Bluffs! This beautiful park has walking trails and a boardwalk over a wetland. It's off of Tryon Rd.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 AM

58 posts, read 182,515 times
I'm interested to see some photos of the part of town you described as "things people don't want to be seen"

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks for the pics. The first half of the first link shows the nice buildings that I do like. I wish they would redo it all like that. The second half of the first link "starts" to show some of the homes I do not like. I notice that the pics are done real tight, so one cannot see what is next to some of the buildings. It's what's next to the buildings that is shocking.

The second link shows the types of businesses I do not like.

None of the links shows the true nastiness that makes up the majority of the area. If I can find time, I will take the pics of things people don't want to be seen about that part of Cary.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 AM

57 posts, read 247,562 times
Quote:
No. Raleigh is Raleigh and Cary is Cary. There are north, south, east & west parts of every town. Some people in western parts of Raleigh may like saying they are in Cary, but they are not. If they want to be in Cary, they should move......like I probably will.
I'm still interested in finding out what you consider West Raleigh. If you do live in West Raleigh (around Jones Franklin/Buck Jones), then I find it interesting that you feel the way you do about eastern Cary considering that both areas are similar...

Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Thumbs up Two Thumbs up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
Thanks, MAtoNC, for bringing back Snowpea's great photos. What lovely old homes! And I wouldn't worry if the house next door is a little run-down; it will be restored soon enough!

It's interesting how people have different tastes. I'm with Lamishra; I far prefer central Cary to western. I prefer the interesting old houses and the downtown area to the "perfect" subdivisions and shopping centers. I prefer the authentic ethnic restaurants and locally-owned stores to the chains. It's good to remind people that Cary has both!

And my favorite place in Cary is on the east side: Hemlock Bluffs! This beautiful park has walking trails and a boardwalk over a wetland. It's off of Tryon Rd.
Great post Mister Brown! You hit that one out of the park.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
Yes! I go there at least once a week after work for a quick jog. Nice and shady with a bed of mulch on the trails for cushioning. They say that the Hemlocks grow there because the geography makes the area cooler. Makes it nice for jogging too. There are about 3 miles of trails.

I've heard that they may try to link Hemlock Bluffs with the Triangle Land Conservancy land at Swift Creek where it crosses under Holly Springs Rd.

While I don't care for the architecture of the houses, the Lochmere neighborhoods in that area are beautiful.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Can I assume that you are being funny on this one, as that trailer park is definitely within town limits?
They really are not a part of the Town of Cary. It's an unincorporated area and Cary has no say in them at all. I tried to contact the town about some of the trailers on Maynard Road that really are literally falling apart. I too thought they were in the town limits and that Cary was not enforcing the building codes there for some reason. I was told it's an unincorporated area and that the town could not do anything about them.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:56 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Great post Mister Brown! You hit that one out of the park.
As usual.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:19 PM

103 posts, read 98,166 times
Default And here is what makes up a LOT of downtown and East Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtweakers View Post
I'm interested to see some photos of the part of town you described as "things people don't want to be seen"

thanks

These pics are just of the East Chatham street area I mentioned earlier. There are many more on East Chatham street just like this. Not exactly the nicest area in the Triangle, not to mention Cary itself. Many other roads around there have the same or worse. There is an awful lot of work to be done.

And again, the roads themselves are a disaster. All broken up, to narrrow, way too many traffic jams. I just don't know how they will fix all that is wrong in that part of town. I don't think it will ever be able to compete with Northwest, West and Southern Cary.
Attached Thumbnails
Central & Eastern Cary-cary-008.jpg   Central & Eastern Cary-cary-007.jpg   Central & Eastern Cary-cary-006.jpg   Central & Eastern Cary-cary-004.jpg   Central & Eastern Cary-cary-003.jpg  

Central & Eastern Cary-cary-002.jpg   Central & Eastern Cary-cary-001.jpg  

Last edited by autumngal; 06-06-2008 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 02:35 PM

161 posts, read 602,003 times
Boy, if that's the worst of Cary, Cary sure is a fine place! I don't see anything nasty in those pictures. The first house is beautiful! It's a classic craftsman with real wooden shingle siding. You only see that on the most expensive new houses! The other houses are modest cottages, but not ugly in any way. The businesses are plain, but not dilapidated or of a disreputable nature. They are faced in real brick, unlike many new businesses that are faced in cinder blocks or EIFS, which is basically plastic. They look like independent businesses, which is what I like to patronize. There is a lot of pavement in these pictures, but there is much more pavement in the big new strip malls. And there are trees in all of these pictures, mostly mature trees! East Cary seems like a nice place to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary