Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't the North Wake Landfill located off of Durnat Road in North Raleigh seem to adversly affect the values of the homes adjacent to it, such as those in the Falls River Community? The homes there are still very expensive eventhough during the winter months when the leaves are off the trees some of the homes have a clear view of the landfill. I think it is a beautiful community with great homes, but I would not be thrilled to drop 300-400K on a house and have a view of a landfill. I know it will be closed by the end 2007 to early 2008 and maybe it will be converted into park or some kingd of "green" open space or something, but I am still surprised it hasn't hurt values in the area more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,711 times
True, Falls River remains a very desireable community, although friends say when the heat and the wind is just right, they stay inside.

The landfill is a mandatory disclosure, though, so any buyer must be made aware of it. When we relocated here, though, our agent "disclosed" it to the point that we ruled out the neighborhood without really checking in to it too much (we were a "buy a house in a long weekend" family, since I was 8 months pregnant.)

Old 01-09-2007, 11:56 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,391 times
Not to mention the landfill will close next year be plowed under and developed into a park elementary school and some other things. So it won't really be an issue after that time.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatrendsetter View Post
Not to mention the landfill will close next year be plowed under and developed into a park elementary school and some other things. So it won't really be an issue after that time.
Very true - this fact has not only helped maintain house prices, I think the expecation of a great park or new school has actually increased the perceived value in the area.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Its amazing sometimes how certain things that you would think would effect prices just don't.

There is that landfill that some of the people in Falls River say they have totally forgotten about. And there is the noise from the airplanes that people in Harrington Grove just don't care about. I guess its all in your perspective.

Years ago, I sold a home in Preston, when they were arguing about the plane noise. This was before we actually HAD to disclose. I informed my clients about the controversary AND the noise. They looked at me like I had lost my mind and said, "noise? We live in Chicago near the airport...your airport isn't even noticeable!". Oh well. Its all in your perspective.

Kinda like when I point out the "lakes" in Lochmere to my clients from upstate NY and they laugh. They are used to really large lakes!!!

Vicki

Old 01-10-2007, 07:26 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,614 times
I, too, am amazed at how the landfill has not affected prices in Falls River. We moved to Falls River in 98 and were told that the landfill would be closing in 2000. Every year it gets pushed out farther and farther. I wont believe any date they give until its actually closed.

We lived in a section of FR that was as far as you could live from the landfill at the time and I only smelled it 2 or 3 times the 5 years we were in that house. Now I live in Bedford and I smell it a lot lately as I drive through Falls River. Its also really bad sometimes up on Durant Rd by Food Lion and the shops/restaurants on Falls River Ave.

The Falls River sales center was very forthcoming with the info about the landfill, though, so I give them credit for that. There are parts of Bedford, however, that are shaken by quarry blasts and there's little to no disclosure about it.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,655 times
After it is closed the smell will go away completely?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:01 PM

25 posts, read 71,026 times
That's an interesting question... what happens when the landfill is capped? Will the smell still be an issue? Has anyone had first hand experience with living near a closed landfill?

Emma

Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,239 times
I've lived towards the end of Falls River since the beginning of the month and haven't smelled the land fill once. I have smelled some really disgusting rotten *something* in one of the development provided dog **** containers by the park my kids like to play in. I swear there's a dead animal rotting in there instead of **** which is it's intended purpose. Was there for almost a week.

But no landfill stench which I imagine smelling like a bag of rotten kitchen garbage that's sat in the sun too long.

No complaints about Falls River from me thus far. Tall trees, sidewalks, friendly neighbors, pocket parks, tons of birds which has taken getting use to since some of them never shut up even at night and we leave our windows open as much as possible.

My main problem with the landfill is I keep turning down it's road instead of the main entrance to Falls River off Durant when coming home from Capital Blvd shopping.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:00 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatrendsetter View Post
I hope they name the park/school something original. I always laughed whenever I passed Mount Trashmore in Virginia Beach.

Mount Trashmore Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary