Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times

Advertisements

Recently offered a promotion that involves relocating to Raleigh area. My only experience with N.C. is the Wilmington area. My concern, having never spent time there is, I am very liberal, secular, and gay and have always lived in the Baltimore/D.C., area. Although my partner and I prefer a rural setting, I don't know that we would blend in a very "christian" oriented community. Not to offend anyone but I guess my question is, "Is the Raleigh area fairly diverse with socially liberal communities or is it very much a conservative Christian based area? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 06:52 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
I live in North Raleigh and I have never gotten the sense that Raleigh is a conservative Christian based area. Most of the people here are transplants from all over the country with high concentrations of people from NY/NJ, DC, and California. I find this area to be very diverse and open minded. I think you would fit in just fine here. Best of luck with your move!

Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 AM

251 posts, read 1,143,255 times
Nurider, courtesy is a big part of southern culture so you're not going to find many people in your face about your chosen lifestyle. People will respect your choice to live as you wish as long as you respect their choice to live as they wish and don't push your views on them by parading your lifestyle in public.

I've lived all over the country and that's pretty much the way it is everywhere.

But yes, to be honest in answering your question, the area is predominantly Christian with most people favoring marriage between one man and one woman. Southern values run deep and aren't likely to change. And most don't feel there is anything wrong with that.

That's about as honest an answer as I can give you.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:10 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,010,729 times
I will be honest too. A while back a gay couple looked at the home across the street from us and it sure set the neighbors whispering. I don't know if that would have happend in CA where we moved from. I find most people much more liberal than I expected them to be. None the less in family oriented neighborhoods I think you could feel a chill.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,520,520 times
I would think closer to downtown would be more liberal in a sense that out in the burbs.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:51 AM

6 posts, read 23,904 times
My partner and I are also considering a move. Having researched the "social climate" a bit, the general consensus is that Chapel Hill and Carrboro are the two most "progressive" communities near RTP.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:01 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Recently offered a promotion that involves relocating to Raleigh area. My only experience with N.C. is the Wilmington area. My concern, having never spent time there is, I am very liberal, secular, and gay and have always lived in the Baltimore/D.C., area. Although my partner and I prefer a rural setting, I don't know that we would blend in a very "christian" oriented community. Not to offend anyone but I guess my question is, "Is the Raleigh area fairly diverse with socially liberal communities or is it very much a conservative Christian based area? thanks
One of the nice things about the Triangle is that there is a range of different towns and cities to choose from. As a previous poster mentioned, Chapel Hill and Carrboro, and I would add Durham, are very gay-friendly and diverse towns. (Durham actually hosts what I have read is the southeast's largest LGBT event each year.) I would think that in downtown/"inside the beltline" Raleigh you'd also find a very welcoming environment. All of these have different feels, from mini-urban center to college town to funky small town, and you should probably look at multiples of them. My neighborhood in Durham has numerous openly gay couples and they are fully accepted as part of the community, no whispering or anything like that.

Other parts of the Triangle are more traditionally "suburban" or even exurban, with the subdivision developments and so forth. Think Loudon County, Va., for example. These areas tend to be more politically conservative and, though I don't have first-hand experience with how you might expect to be treated there, I think some of the other posters on this thread come from those towns and neighborhoods and probably are on target.

Geographically, the Triangle tends to split liberal-to-conservative on a west-to-east axis, with the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA being very liberal (check the voting history!), Raleigh-Cary MSA at core being moderate with progressive and conservative "pockets," and eastern/southern/northern suburbs of Raleigh being more traditionally conservative.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 23,904 times
Thank you, "Bull City Rising" for a thoughtful, informative, helpful post. You people sure are friendly down there! Cheers!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:05 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,166 times
Not all Christians are anti-gay!

Conservative Christians and Conservative Jews, for example, would not be amenable to gay marriage,

while Liberal Christians and Liberal Jews would be...
and, not all conservatives would be intolerant or rude.

It is painful for me as a Christian to see Christians (and only Christians, not Muslims, or Jews, or Hindus ) constantly labeled as haters!!!!!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM

60 posts, read 288,370 times
This may be hard to believe, but there are actually people who live in evil "suburbia" who are accepting of people who are different then them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary