Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times

Advertisements

Can someone point me in the right direction on the GWOP site? I saw a beautiful house on there, but it seemed like they were just saying, "Hey Kate & Jon, there are beautiful houses right here in PA why do you need to go & move to NC?" It didn't say that was the house they bought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 07:23 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Kate has actually cut off family because the production company wanted to pay those family members for their time, etc., and Kate didn't want them paid. She has someone to cook 3 meals a day for them for the 4 days/week they film, but she makes it sound like she just has SOOO much on her. This "vowal renewal" was a paid trip by the resort company that just wanted the promotion.
sorry, but she has 8 kids, most of them sextuplets. She does have SOOO much on her. I don't blame her one bit for taking whatever help from whatever source offers it, even if it means her family is open to America's scrutiny. Who cares that their trip was paid for by the resort?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 AM

52 posts, read 142,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
sorry, but she has 8 kids, most of them sextuplets. She does have SOOO much on her. I don't blame her one bit for taking whatever help from whatever source offers it, even if it means her family is open to America's scrutiny. Who cares that their trip was paid for by the resort?
It's just a sport for reality show enthusiasts to nit-pick and judge the people on the shows. That's all.

I think the important thing to remember is that "reality show" is perhaps the best example of a misnomer (irony? I never know if I'm using that word correctly) in modern times. The fact is, viewers don't have a clue what reality show stars' lives are like for real, so their judgements are not based in reality either.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
I don't know about Jon & Kate with 8 but I do know of:

Bill & Mary with 2
Fred and Wilma with 1
Ben and Allice with no kids
Jack and Janice with 2
Angie and Frank with no kids recently retired.
Herman and Lilly with 1
Ben & Jerry with no kids
..and the list goes on!

So why would Jon and Kate with 8 not join them maybe the better question!?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Why would anyone not like them???
They seem like a nice family.
I find them increasingly annoying. It isn't a reality show by any stretch of the imagination, as they are given so much aid and help by the production company. It is unrealistic and a disservice to those, like myself, with multiples or multiples on the way. They brought their situation on themselves, and found a way to profit off of it. This in itself is not a bad thing - capitalism at work, providing entertainment for some, etc. - but the "real world" doesn't always work that way. Plus, you get to see the real Jon and Kate come out - fame can do that - and it ain't always pretty.

The real reason I don't want them moving here is because I don't want to put up with the newspaper headlines and pseudo-news on TV reporting on the fact ad-naseum.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Anne View Post
It's just a sport for reality show enthusiasts to nit-pick and judge the people on the shows. That's all.

I think the important thing to remember is that "reality show" is perhaps the best example of a misnomer (irony? I never know if I'm using that word correctly) in modern times. The fact is, viewers don't have a clue what reality show stars' lives are like for real, so their judgements are not based in reality either.
So you'd show your children being bathed and document their potty training successes and failures on national tv? One of their older girls seems to have a lot of issues and they discuss them on tv all the time. Don't you think her friends at school watch and probably ridicule her? There's zero privacy for those kids.

I guess anyone who cares about the welfare of the children is judgmental. BTW, ever heard of the Dionne quintuplets?

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...ev#articleFull

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction on the GWOP site? I saw a beautiful house on there, but it seemed like they were just saying, "Hey Kate & Jon, there are beautiful houses right here in PA why do you need to go & move to NC?" It didn't say that was the house they bought.
Somewhere on one of the posts someone mentioned that a lady in Wyomissing said she sold her house to "those Jon and Kate people". Then I think it was suggested that that was the house they had the picture of. Who knows. They either haven't decided where they'll be or they do a good job keeping it a secret.

Last edited by sls76; 11-18-2008 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 AM

52 posts, read 142,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
So you'd show your children being bathed and document their potty training successes and failures on national tv? One of their older girls seems to have a lot of issues and they discuss them on tv all the time. Don't you think her friends at school watch and probably ridicule her? There's zero privacy for those kids.

I guess anyone who cares about the welfare of the children is judgmental. BTW, ever heard of the Dionne quintuplets?
No, I would not parade my children around on a reality show - did I imply that I would? But I'm certainly not going to judge this family for doing it. I actually have more issues with the use of the fertility drugs than anything else.

I'm a psychologist (I do, in part, parenting capacity evaluations in child protection cases) and I don't see how being on a reality show itself is any worse than a lot of the parenting practices our society currently tolerates. There is a good possibility that the benefits this family receives from being on a reality show outweigh any negatives, but I wouldn't know personally... just presenting another possibility.

No, I've never heard of the quintuplets you mentioned.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Who's John and Kate?
Aren't you sorry you asked?

FWIW, I've never heard of this show either.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 AM

249 posts, read 691,772 times
Well this sure turned into a hate thread real quick. I think there are enough of those out there already and city-data is the last place that needs to have people trashing them.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:34 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Default Hate Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
Well this sure turned into a hate thread real quick. I think there are enough of those out there already and city-data is the last place that needs to have people trashing them.
I sure do hate children being exploited. I hope you're not judging me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary