Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 PM

249 posts, read 692,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Has anyone had any luck finding a job recently?
My wife recently found a job in Durham. She was laid off in October and we found out she was pregnant with our first child a few weeks later. So we were definitely worried about her prospects of finding a job in this economy, but we didn't give up hope. Right as we got to the point where she would have to tell all prospective employers that she was pregnant up front(which would have been a nail in the coffin for her until after the baby was born), she was offered a job at a small company. She has to commute up to 45 minutes depending on traffic, but we definitely feel very fortunate. So while I know things are very tough for a lot of you out there, there is still some hope. We got lucky and hopefully now it is your turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:21 PM

406 posts, read 788,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
That's what makes it even more frustrating for me, to see all these people who aren't affected going on with their lives, and actually being grateful for the situation because they have more buying power now. I drove through Glennwood Ave Friday night and it made me sick to see all these people blowing money like it means nothing to them, and here I am wondering where I am going to get the money for the next rent payment. And to drive around here in Cary and see all the huge houses, with the expensive cars, it's just rubbing in my face that I've lost out, that my job was dispensable and theirs apparently isn't. It sucks and is very frustrating.
People on easy street seldom know how lucky they are.

But you shouldn't base your happiness on a comparison of others, thing are not always as they seem.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 65,445 times
jmana,I hope things will get better for you soon. My husband graduated from p.a. school in December and hasn't found a job yet. We have two kids and are making it on my salary. We have cut out the extras and are eating simple, but nutrious meals. Fortunately, we don't have expensive hobbies, so we are just enjoying the time we have together. The kids help out by cutting coupons. (They get to pick out one of the coupons for something special, within reason) We haven't talked with them about how bad things are as the most important thing in their lives is to know that they are loved and that we will take care of them. We don't need all those material things; we've got each other and have fun together. Enjoy the time with your seven year old, doing the things I'm sure you are already doing. Our kids always have fun at the public ibrary! I will be thinking about you. Please know that there are many people in the same situation. I think we are teaching our kids an important lesson in life. Good luck, chica

Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 16,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Warning: There are no available worthwhile jobs that pay a living wage in the Triangle right now and there probably won’t be for the next year or so. In fact many companies are planning to lay off employees so my advice is to move along as there’s nothing to see here.
Standards are too high. People seem to think that a decent "living wage" is one that will put you in a $500,000 house. If you're ok with living in an apartment you should be able to take care of yourself just fine.

My living standards have risen so much since I left Michigan. I'm a social worker (not a high paying career!) and am living comfortably in a nice luxury apartment. I don't mean to generalize because this is CERTAINLY not the case with everyone, but a lot of people struggle because they arent willing to downsize and they arent willing to take jobs that will damage their pride.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM

360 posts, read 995,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
Standards are too high. People seem to think that a decent "living wage" is one that will put you in a $500,000 house. If you're ok with living in an apartment you should be able to take care of yourself just fine.

My living standards have risen so much since I left Michigan. I'm a social worker (not a high paying career!) and am living comfortably in a nice luxury apartment. I don't mean to generalize because this is CERTAINLY not the case with everyone, but a lot of people struggle because they arent willing to downsize and they arent willing to take jobs that will damage their pride.
Wow, what exactly is your definition of a living wage?! I CERTAINLY don't aspire to live in a $500k house, I am more than satisfied renting a modest townhouse, but I can't pay for rent, utilities, rising food prices, gas, car, health insurance, plus before/after school care and summer school for my son on anything less than $15 an hour. I was making $20 an hour before I was laid off, and to be honest I haven't seen anything above $12 an hour that doesn't require some specialized training or several years experience in a specialized field. Maybe if you live in a sketchy neighborhood, in a small apartment and aren't supporting any children you could probably live on less, but other than that it's nearly impossible to live off of what these employers are offering these days. My job was replaced by a fresh college grad, who is making probably half of what I was, and I am sure he's satisfied, but therein lies the problem, people like me with families or children to support are being kicked out of our jobs and being replaced by people, who for whatever reason, are willing to work for less

Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
Default Be happy people are still spending money

Do not deny the people who still have jobs or otherwise have regular income, please! I don't, not at all.

They are the ones keeping many people (waitpeople, cooks, janitors, hostesses, shopkeepers, store clerks, anyone who works in restaurants and stores) EMPLOYED...not to mention real estate people, real estate lawyers, nannies, gardeners, housekeepers, and others that help the people in the huge houses keep it all together!

When people stop spending money altogether, THAT's when things will get really bad.

So if you are fortunate enough to still have regular work or a big bank account, PLEASE, spend like there's no tomorrow. You are truly helping the economy.

So if you don't have a job, know that it isn't your fault; it won't be easy, but you'll get through it. We, as a nation, always have.

Those who have jobs -- admit it, you do feel smug. So what. You are merely fortunate. You'll feel smug until it happens to you. It may never happen, and if it doesn't, that's fine, too. In the meantime, make sure you have your "safety net" account, and then just keep SPENDING. Without your current spending, it'll be even more difficult to recover from this recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
That's what makes it even more frustrating for me, to see all these people who aren't affected going on with their lives, and actually being grateful for the situation because they have more buying power now. I drove through Glennwood Ave Friday night and it made me sick to see all these people blowing money like it means nothing to them, and here I am wondering where I am going to get the money for the next rent payment. And to drive around here in Cary and see all the huge houses, with the expensive cars, it's just rubbing in my face that I've lost out, that my job was dispensable and theirs apparently isn't. It sucks and is very frustrating.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Those who have jobs -- admit it, you do feel smug.
I have a job. I'm grateful. I’m not smug.

FWIW today I used some of the money I make at my job to pay the refrigerator repair man for his job replacing the condenser fan in my fridge. The arrangement worked out well for both of us.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Do not deny the people who still have jobs or otherwise have regular income, please! I don't, not at all.

They are the ones keeping many people (waitpeople, cooks, janitors, hostesses, shopkeepers, store clerks, anyone who works in restaurants and stores) EMPLOYED...not to mention real estate people, real estate lawyers, nannies, gardeners, housekeepers, and others that help the people in the huge houses keep it all together!

When people stop spending money altogether, THAT's when things will get really bad.

So if you are fortunate enough to still have regular work or a big bank account, PLEASE, spend like there's no tomorrow. You are truly helping the economy.

So if you don't have a job, know that it isn't your fault; it won't be easy, but you'll get through it. We, as a nation, always have.

Those who have jobs -- admit it, you do feel smug. So what. You are merely fortunate. You'll feel smug until it happens to you. It may never happen, and if it doesn't, that's fine, too. In the meantime, make sure you have your "safety net" account, and then just keep SPENDING. Without your current spending, it'll be even more difficult to recover from this recession.
I don't have anything against anyone who has a regular job, or even someone who has a high paying job, as long as they do the work to justify the pay. What I do have a problem with are the people who got their cushy, high paying jobs because of who they are or who they know, and there are a lot of people like that in the area. These are the chosen few who get paid extremely well, and do very little actual work, in fact most days you'd have a better time finding them at a golf course rather than in their office, after all they have their minions to do the actual work. And yes, they do support the economy by throwing their extra crumbs to the landscapers, housekeepers, etc..., and yes we should bow down at their feet if we are one of the lucky ones to receive their extra crumbs, but still I find it very unfair that these people don't have to worry about being downsized, they will justify with a straight face laying off several of the actual workers, but will balk at the idea of accepting less money and/or bonuses in order to keep some of those people employed.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Where are all the jobs....???

6 months ago I's say China, India, Brazil, and points outside the US.

Today I would say that is not necessarily true. In fact for the first time in a long time I am hearing companies moving jobs back to the US. at&t on a commercial they are running now says that 5000 jobs will be moving back to the US. It starts small but I believe it will grow. Jobs will come back, yes at a slow pace but they will return.

IMHO the triangle is positioned as well as any place in the US to capture those jobs. Its a right to work state favorable for business to move here. Its not perfect but where is? I like my chances here over a rust belt state or a silicon state.

This area is going through tough economic times as everywhere is right now worldwide! Everything happens in cycles and at some point we will hit the lowest point of that cycle and start the climb back up, when that happens is anyones guess but stay alert and ready its coming. Learn a new skill so that when the jobs come back you are ready. See what the projected hot jobs will be and make sure you are ready to take full advantage of them. They are coming to a community near you!

OK so my glass is spilling over the top but I can catch it all and save it for that rainy day!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM

I've been hearing a lot of so called experts say that we might not hit rock bottom for another 12 to 24 months It kind of makes sense though, because it will take at least 8 months for any of this "stimulus" money to actually get in the hands of people who need it, and then several more months before people once again become comfortable with the idea of spending their money. And who knows about the banks, we keep throwing money at them and they keep folding, and the ones that haven't folded won't lend money and are requiring people with business loans to pay them back immediately. I am glad to see companies return to the US, it is a good sign, but I think we really have to address as a nation the reasons why they left in the first place, I say bring back the tariff system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary