Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:48 PM

63 posts, read 216,725 times

Advertisements

Are we all adults lol..... I can believe the amount of crying and splitting of hairs over not being able to get into a "club" .... especially a club with obviously predefined rules for entry and expansion. I'm sorry your wife cant go where she wants, but those are the breaks sometimes and while this is the USA no one is entiled to get everything they want and I guess its just one of those things and the rule seems pretty legit. Anyone that has lived here more than a year or so knows that Clayton isn't considered the "triangle" BUT it IS considered in the triangle area. If you owned a company and you were advertising/hiring you wouldnt say you were located in the triangle you would say Clayton..... and if they asked what county its J-ston .... either way its not Ral- Dur wake co. or the "Triangle". I'm not trying to insult or start another argument in this thread but sorry thats just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
I have found the Triangle Women’s Group thread the most amusing thread EVER.

I think it is a given, that the TRIANGLE includes Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. But what does that mean. To determine that, I went to the source, not some lame Wiki pile of poop.

I am talking the U.S. Census Bureau to examine the Metropolitan Statistical Area and definitions. A metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area's geographic delineation, or list of geographic components at a particular point in time, is referred to as its "definition." Metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas (http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/metroarea.html - broken link) are defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and are the result of the application of published standards to Census Bureau data. The standards for defining the areas are reviewed and revised once every ten years, prior to each decennial census. Generally, the areas are redefined using the most recent set of standards following each decennial census. Between censuses, the definitions are updated annually to reflect the most recent Census Bureau population estimates. Areas based on the 2000 standards and Census 2000 data were defined in June of 2003. The current definitions are as of November 2007.

Enough of that tortuous bureaucratese!

Before going farther, please be sure to understand, that according to OMB, Metropolitan Statistical Areas, Micropolitan Statistical Areas, Combined Statistical Areas, and New EnglandCity and Town Areas are published for use in Federal statistical activities. These areas, as well as principal cities, are updated annually to reflect changes in population estimates.

So admittedly, a specific purpose of a Metro Statistical Area is NOT to differentiate the boundaries of women’s clubs.

However.

Raleigh-Durham-Cary, (#450) NC Combined Statistical Area is composed of:
1. Dunn, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area
2. Durham, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area (number 20500)
3. Raleigh-Cary, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area (number 39580)

The Durham METSTATAREA is number 20500 and includes: ChathamCounty, DurhamCounty, OrangeCounty, and PersonCounty. So you see, StatARea 20500 picks up Chapel Hill, and therefore, it is ultimately included in the RaleighDurham – Cary Combined Statistical Area.

Looks like this pretty much covers the Triangle.

But……..

How about RaleighCary Metropolitan Statistical Area (#39580)? Well let us just see…39580 Raleigh-Cary, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area consists of the principal cities of Raleigh, Cary , and the counties of Franklin County, Wake County and JohnstonCounty, home of beautiful downtown, Clayton.

Don’t mess with Texas or the Census.

Ruh Roh!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 PM

26 posts, read 80,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Well, in that case, Cary wouldn't be a part of the "Triangle" either. Things change, and areas expand. Heck, DC now pretty much includes everything from Fredericksburg to the outskirts of Baltimore to Frederick.
I couldn't care less if Cary, Clayton or my town were considered part of the Triangle or not. I am just stating what was in the description. I didn't write it. I would think that it is obvious that the Triangle borders seem to be growing and growing and growing.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
Really, it makes no difference how Wikipedia or the Census define the Triangle. All that matters here is how Triangle Mommies defines it - which is Wake, Durham, and Orange counties. I live in Orange county, so I can join, but if you live in Alamance county - 1 mile west of me - then you can't join. You'll have to join Alamance Mommies if you want to be in the Mommies Network. If you live in Johnston county, then you have to join Johnston Mommies. I don't understand why this is such an issue. They have to choose a line somewhere, and their choice of the 3 county region seems reasonable enough.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Really, it makes no difference how Wikipedia or the Census define the Triangle. All that matters here is how Triangle Mommies defines it - which is Wake, Durham, and Orange counties. I live in Orange county, so I can join, but if you live in Alamance county - 1 mile west of me - then you can't join. You'll have to join Alamance Mommies if you want to be in the Mommies Network. If you live in Johnston county, then you have to join Johnston Mommies. I don't understand why this is such an issue. They have to choose a line somewhere, and their choice of the 3 county region seems reasonable enough.

^ Game set MATCH!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 AM

516 posts, read 1,887,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks76 View Post
Are we all adults lol..... I can believe the amount of crying and splitting of hairs over not being able to get into a "club" .... especially a club with obviously predefined rules for entry and expansion. I'm sorry your wife cant go where she wants, but those are the breaks sometimes and while this is the USA no one is entiled to get everything they want and I guess its just one of those things and the rule seems pretty legit.
And a little bit of venting about something you dislike isn't allowed?

Quote:
Anyone that has lived here more than a year or so knows that Clayton isn't considered the "triangle" BUT it IS considered in the triangle area.
And those who have just moved here?

Quote:
If you owned a company and you were advertising/hiring you wouldnt say you were located in the triangle you would say Clayton..... and if they asked what county its J-ston .... either way its not Ral- Dur wake co. or the "Triangle".
Based on the ads I've seen, that is most definitely NOT the case.

Quote:
I'm not trying to insult or start another argument in this thread but sorry thats just the way it is.
If you're not trying to insult, then don't be insulting. I was venting a bit. Until your post, I had pretty much moved on.

Yeah, "that's just the way it is". You go to a store and get bad service, but "that's just the way it is". Don't complain about it - that's just whining. Just accept it because "that's just the way it is"

Personally, I think it's rather stupid to exclude someone who PREFERS to spend time in a particular area just because they LIVE somewhere else. But really, it's not worth the effort to join a group that doesn't want you anyways, and there are plenty of other groups that are more welcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC81 View Post
I agree. I think Johnston County should have to pay Wake County taxes as well. It's just discrimination against them that they don't. These county lines are just so small-minded.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you DO BUSINESS in Wake County, you pay Wake County taxes, right? Why not make people pay taxes based on where they live, rather than where they are when conducting the transaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Really, it makes no difference how Wikipedia or the Census define the Triangle. All that matters here is how Triangle Mommies defines it - which is Wake, Durham, and Orange counties. I live in Orange county, so I can join, but if you live in Alamance county - 1 mile west of me - then you can't join. You'll have to join Alamance Mommies if you want to be in the Mommies Network. If you live in Johnston county, then you have to join Johnston Mommies.
And if you prefer doing things in Raleigh to doing things in Smithfield, well, *********, right?

Quote:
I don't understand why this is such an issue.
I was venting over what I consider to be a stupid policy. I still consider it to be a stupid policy. But I have definitely learned something about the "triangle area" from this thread. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but the cliquishness I'm seeing is quite amazing.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. As I said, there is no sense in fighting to join a group that doesn't want you. Better to look for groups that are more inclusive - there are plenty of others around.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:41 AM

I appologize if I came off as insulting I really wasn't trying to be and yes feel free to vent all you want, but when you lay it out in a public forum then you are going to get all our options as well (which 90% of us understand you but point out why you are wrong) the argument you make is like saying:

"Its bull crap that I live in Buffalo NY but I cant get in on any of this Canadian ______ I mean Im just as many miles from the border as Ottowa but they keep saying sorry Canadians only even though I'm willing to drive over. Ontario is much farther than me and even THEY can do it and I cant!"

If the group didnt have any rules written out and told you that THEN I'm sure everyone would would say yeah thats pretty messed up ... but thats not how quite it went down ..........

Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
If you are just venting about the policies of Triangle Mommies, then fine. I was annoyed when they kicked me out for not posting often enough too. But that's their policy, so now I'm out. Personally, I think it's a stupid rule too. But that's their rule. I also had a dispute with them about their rank icons. Please don't think that I'm out there to totally defend them and their stupid rules. But they are their stupid rules to make as they please, and they will define their own borders based on their own criteria, not Wikipedia's, not those of the Census, and not those of City-Data either.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 AM

516 posts, read 1,887,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks76 View Post
If the group didnt have any rules written out and told you that THEN I'm sure everyone would would say yeah thats pretty messed up ... but thats not how quite it went down ..........
Of course, it might have been a little better for them to have said "Membership is limited to residents of these three counties" instead of "Clayton is too far from the Triangle".

Still a stupid policy, I think, but at least the response would have been more sensible.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM

64 posts, read 170,514 times
You are all missing the point. Nearly every organized group in the US has some sort of boundaries associated with it. In some cases, the boundary is geographical, in other cases, the boundary is something completely different. For example, if you want to join Mensa, you have to have an IQ of approximately 130. If your IQ is 125, even though you often display higher intellegence, you don't qualify. If I lived in Garner, but work in Raleigh, am I allowed to play in the Raleigh city softball league? No. I'm sure if you dug deep, you would find the real reason that each organization set their boundaries. I'm sure in some cases that it is small-mindedness, but in most cases, there are good reasons that just aren't apparent to the average citizen. Fact of the matter is, it is their right, so no one has to agree with it but that organization.

It comes down to this: this organization had to draw a boundary somewhere, lest they accept just anyone who comes around (and most clubs won't). They wanted it to be the counties of Wake, Durham, and Orange. Do you think they should have called it the "Wake-Durham-Orange Counties Mommies Association"? No, they picked a name that most summed up their organization by going with the "traditional" definition of the Triangle. I'm sure there is a hard and fast definition of the Triangle, as Wikipedia so eloquently points out, but I doubt this group was too concerned about that one definition. They were concerned about picking a good name, and they did pretty well. By the way, if this forum wanted to, and could find a way to pull it off, they too could limit this to those living in their definition of the Triangle.

If you are dying to change the organization, have your wife get to know someone inside it, and plant a bug in their ear. It will only change from within.

Last edited by rushore; 12-30-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary