Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,675,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
So if I walk my children away from a dog, particularly a breed with a very strong jaw full of sharp teeth, I'm stupid and ignorant?
No, I recommend that a parent that doesn't know a ANY dog never let their children go near it.

However, if you refuse to interact with a dog, under control of it's owner, in a safe manner just because of what breed it is, when you wouldn't think twice about doing so to a breed you think is cuddly, then yes, that is a short sighted and ignorant attitude.

Quote:
What I find hard to understand is how quickly dog owners dismiss those with dogs who bite as "bad" owners.
I've never seen a dog that bites that didn't have an owner that was either unable, unknowledgable or unwilling to take steps to prevent that dog from biting.

Quote:
I believe many of them when they say they never saw signs of aggression in their dogs.
I don't. I do beleive they didn't know enough about dogs to see the signs, and may not be actually negligent....but there are always signs. I find many dog owners have no clue about basic dog ownership. They had a sweet dog as a child and think that is all there is to know. It's not. Thankfully, most dog owners I run across want to and are willing to learn.

Quote:
I mentioned the leashed pit bull that lunged at my 2yo one day and from then on barked at my children. If that were your pit bull would you consider that the first sign of aggression? If so, what would you do about it?
It would depend. Dogs just don't lash out like that with no reason. If there was prior trauma (as with a rescue).....oh....and by the way ANY BREED could do this....nothing makes a pit bull more prone to do it....it could be the fluffy mongrel...more likely it would be a smaller dog anyway....but if the dog did not like children, probably due to that prior trauma, then that dog should not be near children...even on a leash. Barking doesn't have to be aggressive....it can be commutative, excitement, even playful. However, if there is an actual risk, and not just someone freaking because the dog barks, then a muzzle when out in public may be for the best.

I will say again, any dog that you don't know needs to be approached with caution. Any dog with an owner that doesn't know how to handle a dog needs to be avoided. I don't care if it's a terrier, chow-chow (not a friendly dog for the most part, but it's cuddly so most folks don't understand that) lhasa apso, lab, retriever, my bichon or a pit bull, rottie or plott hound (the state dog of North Carolina).

However, I will also state again that there is NOTHING in-born to any breed, that makes them automatically more dangerous, just for breathing, then any other.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 05-07-2007 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: for formatting

Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 PM

238 posts, read 228,231 times
What's ignorant is thinking that dogs should have priority over humans. I think that is pathetic and sad.

A parent's greatest instinct should be to protect his or her children, not to "experiment" on them putting their lives at risk so that a dog owner won't be offended.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
What's ignorant is thinking that dogs should have priority over humans. I think that is pathetic and sad.

A parent's greatest instinct should be to protect his or her children, not to "experiment" on them putting their lives at risk so that a dog owner won't be offended.
It's not 'experimenting' on children....dear me you have a strange attitude towards pets.

Funny...but my daughter ***knock on wood*** has never been bit by a dog....and she has played with just about every breed on the planet. There are INDIVDUAL dogs that I won't let her go near...but it has nothing to do with their breed.

It's like saying I won't let her have Cuban friends because Castro is an enemy of the United States. (And yes, I really do think there is a similarity....and one of my daughter's best freinds is Cuban.)

Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 PM

Sorry, but I don't equate dog breeds with human ethnicities. That's a little too much anthropomorphism for me. Dog breeds are what they are. And I do consider it risking my children's life to bring a dangerous breed around my child.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't equate dog breeds with human ethnicities. That's a little too much anthropomorphism for me. Dog breeds are what they are. And I do consider it risking my children's life to bring a dangerous breed around my child.
There are no dangerous breeds...just dangerous dogs.

Let's hope your kids never suffer because you let them pet the cute little fluffy dog that bites their face while protecting them from the 'big bad' dog that wouldn't have hurt a fly.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 05-07-2007 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 PM

You're right. I hope that never happens. I teach my children to ALWAYS ask the owner of the dog if it likes children before approaching the dog...to move slowly and allow the dog to smell their hands before attempting to pet them. I am well aware of the fact that Cocker spaniels and other "lovable" breeds are some of the most common to bite.

That being said I still fear pit bulls because they have such powerful jaws. I do think that temperament can be bred into a dog. And aggressiveness is part of temperament. I am fearful of all large and/or powerful dogs, and I would never allow my child to approach a pit bull, rottweiler, german shepherd, or Chow chow, period.

Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
You're right. I hope that never happens. I teach my children to ALWAYS ask the owner of the dog if it likes children before approaching the dog...to move slowly and allow the dog to smell their hands before attempting to pet them. I am well aware of the fact that Cocker spaniels and other "lovable" breeds are some of the most common to bite.

That being said I still fear pit bulls because they have such powerful jaws. I do think that temperament can be bred into a dog. And aggressiveness is part of temperament. I am fearful of all large and/or powerful dogs, and I would never allow my child to approach a pit bull, rottweiler, german shepherd, or Chow chow, period.

Better safe than sorry.
I don't see it as 'better safe then sorry'...I see it as fear-mongering and teaching kids a phobia.

At least you teach your kids the proper way to meet a new dog....but I can not see that your fear of larger dogs means they are automatically more of a threat is a good thing.....I think it's a shame you are teaching your kids that big dogs equal mean dogs.

Just don't ever come to one of our dog parks....you will see Malteses and King Charles Caviar Spaniels playing with Pit Bulls, GSDs and Great Danes....not to mention the pack of very nice Cocker Spanials that was mentioned earlier in thie thread. (Saw them the other day.....never thought I'd love seeing a cocker, but his one pale brindle male is such a sweet heart.)

Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,177,472 times
People that fear "pit bulls" because they have such powerful jaws shouls REALLY fear Rottweilers and german shepards.. They both have a stronger bite than american pit bull terriers.... Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) – Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test. Here are the results of all of the animals tested: Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested. Wild dogs: 310 lbs Lions: 600 lbs White sharks: 600 lbs Hyenas: 1000 lbs Snapping turtles: 1000 lbs Crocodiles: 2500 lbs... AND I am sure most people already know this but we are talking about pit bull jaws so I would also just like to say.. "pit bulls" do not have locking jaws! Their jaws are NO different than any other breed and any Veterinarian can verify this is simply a myth.... I am so sick of hearing people bring up all of these myths as if they were facts... I wish people woud just do a little bit of research on the breeds that they want to put down.

*I am not trying to start an argument and I am not talking to any one person.. Something was said about the jaws of pit bulls so I figured I would take the opertunity to state the facts*

Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 PM

959 posts, read 4,495,443 times
Quote:
I do think that temperament can be bred into a dog. And aggressiveness is part of temperament.
Exactly. For those dog owners who love to compare dogs to people...

Yes a person's personality is molded by a variety of things (others, environment, hormones, neurotransmitters, etc) which are in turn affected by a host of others (diet, head trauma, life events, etc etc) - but I am among those who believe that a part of your personality is innate and inherited - imprinted into your genes forever. I definitely believe aggression is a personality trait.

Some interesting tidbits... A higher amount of aggression is linked to the Y chromosome than the X chromosome. Some men are born with an extra Y chromosome, and there is believed to be a higher rate of aggression within that group than men with the typical XY.

There is also a link between testosterone and aggression. Women in jail have been found to have higher levels of testosterone than women with no criminal record.

Anyway I'll stop rambling about aggression now

Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Watch out Indigo, you might be branded a "doggie racist." ;-)

Pure breed dogs are bred to a standard that includes temperamental characteristics. Of course there are SOME individual dogs that will greatly vary from that breed's temperament but the variance is the exception, not the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary