Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:14 PM

50 posts, read 124,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly76 View Post
Can anyone give me an insight on St. Lawrence Builders. I liked their community in Wake Forest "Hamptons". Came by to talk to an agent there about 2 month ago, she didn't mention anything. I drove there today, there are a lot of unfinished homes, no workers, ton of empty lots...I liked one home which was finished with exception of floors, granite and appliances. So, if St. Lawrence filed for bankruptcy who will finish these homes, and why are they still listed for sale? I also felt like the attitute (people walking around) in the development is kind of somber Not your typical NC neighborhood feel, no waves, no smiles...
We were building the house I think you are talking about in Northhampton. After a while for months there was nothing going on and we got suspicious as to why. We were suppose to move in Dec. 20th. Then we found out they were going broke. We loved the house and lot. We are now trying to purchase the model. They are excellent builders..Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,183 times
I think like all builders, St. Lawrence Homes is having a hard time. Hopefully, they will come out of this economic mess and continue to build one of the best homes in Carolinas. Good Luck St. Lawrence!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:05 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
St. Lawrence filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy yesterday.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 AM

I hate to hear that...I wish them all the luck in trying to stay afloat. As the article said, they are clearly not the only ones in trouble. When our government realizes that the housing industry needs to be a focal point of stimulating the economy.....we may start getting out of this economic melt-down that we all find ourselves in.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
The thing to be cautious about purchasing a St. Lawrence home now is if they will go the route of Circuit City. Circuit City also filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and after several months and not being able to find a buyer or fresh capital went out of business completely. So any company that files for Bankruptcy has the potential to close their doors at a future date.

I am also intrigued why St. Lawrence would find themselves in Bankruptcy being they build lower priced or moderately priced homes in planned sub divisions. IMO based on their relative size and offerings they would be in better shape to with stand the down turn unless they got a high percentage of foreclosures or mis managed their business.

Good luck to those that purchased St. Lawrence homes and those that may in the future. Make sure you totally understand your legal rights as a owner or potential buyer if liquidation comes to pass for St. Lawrence Homes.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 AM

dansdrive...
Way to be positive!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
The thing to be cautious about purchasing a St. Lawrence home now is if they will go the route of Circuit City. Circuit City also filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and after several months and not being able to find a buyer or fresh capital went out of business completely. So any company that files for Bankruptcy has the potential to close their doors at a future date.

I am also intrigued why St. Lawrence would find themselves in Bankruptcy being they build lower priced or moderately priced homes in planned sub divisions. IMO based on their relative size and offerings they would be in better shape to with stand the down turn unless they got a high percentage of foreclosures or mis managed their business.

Good luck to those that purchased St. Lawrence homes and those that may in the future. Make sure you totally understand your legal rights as a owner or potential buyer if liquidation comes to pass for St. Lawrence Homes.
I am SO glad we passed on what seemed like a phenomenal deal on paper in Bowling Green ( A Drees home)... the fact that St. L was on the lam and not looking like they were going to make it is why we walked from it -- not knowing the eventuality of it and what would happen to the amenities that made the s/d attractive - what happens when <50% of the homes are sold? Do HOA dues x4? What about vacant homes and vacant lots? Etc. etc.

Good luck indeed!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I am SO glad we passed on what seemed like a phenomenal deal on paper in Bowling Green ( A Drees home)... the fact that St. L was on the lam and not looking like they were going to make it is why we walked from it -- not knowing the eventuality of it and what would happen to the amenities that made the s/d attractive - what happens when <50% of the homes are sold? Do HOA dues x4? What about vacant homes and vacant lots? Etc. etc.

Good luck indeed!
All depends. Chapter 11 may let the company reorganize. If it fails and goes into Chapter 7, assets are sold and proceeds given to creditors as far as they reach.

Warranty may then be Charmin unless insured. HOA will need to cover all amenity costs from existing owners w/o builder contribution. Empty/incomplete home lots may be tied up in litigation w/o paying dues for quite some time.

Hope the Chapter 11 gives the company breathing room to recover.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM

saturnfan makes a good point....if they are forced into a Chapter 7, assets are sold. And according to the numbers, their assets are greater than the debt.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM

50 posts, read 124,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pictureperfect View Post
I think like all builders, St. Lawrence Homes is having a hard time. Hopefully, they will come out of this economic mess and continue to build one of the best homes in Carolinas. Good Luck St. Lawrence!
I agree with you. Good luck to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary