Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times

Advertisements

Fair food: Not for the faint of heart - Local/State - News & Observer

" Besides deep-fried Ho Hos, the attention-grabbing new item at this year's N.C. State Fair is chocolate-covered bacon. "

My wife has informed me that the length of the line for Choco-Bacon will be irrelevant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,427 times
Chocolate covered bacon! Oh man I picked a bad year to miss the fair! I like my bacon cooked to a slight crisp and juicy but this adds a whole new dimension! It will be kind of like a Twix without the cookie middle!

Three words intriguing, perplexing, and provocative!

Thanks for the culinary tip MikeJ!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,761 times
I heard this mentioned on the news and honestly my stomach did a repulsive flip.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 AM

152 posts, read 541,817 times
Not to take away from the fair--recently I saw a "designer" chocolate bar with bacon pieces at the Fresh Market on Cary Parkway. I live with bacon fans, that are also chocolate fans. I indulge their chocolate fantasies but RARELY their bacon fantasies. I don't like bacon and get queazy when smelling it, seeing it cooked etc. AND imagine my surprise when they gave thumbs down to that chocolate bar.

They're not even intrigued with the fairs offerings...and I imagine that to be a big ole' slab of a piece covered in chocolate. Seriously, I would have gone to the bank that they would have yearned for this latest State Fair culinary offering. I would have even urged my friends to go to the proverbial bank on this one....Well, don't go...not eating it in this household.

If you try it, let us know.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:28 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,945 times
World Market has chocolate covered bacon... it's dark chocolate covering pieces of bacon broken up into the bar .... much like the consistency of a chocolate crisp bar. I liked it but I could only eat a tiny bit (less than a Hershey's Kiss) size piece. It's a smoky salty plus choco-sweet taste.

So Mike, if you want to skip the line just head on over to World Market and surprise your wife with one.

But I am interested to hear how the fair folks do theres. I personally want a pieces of pig candy bacon (bacon w/a brown sugar crust baked in. YUM) dipped in milk chocolate. I think that would be something to wait in line for.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
World Market has chocolate covered bacon... it's dark chocolate covering pieces of bacon broken up into the bar .... much like the consistency of a chocolate crisp bar. I liked it but I could only eat a tiny bit (less than a Hershey's Kiss) size piece. It's a smoky salty plus choco-sweet taste.

So Mike, if you want to skip the line just head on over to World Market and surprise your wife with one.

But I am interested to hear how the fair folks do theres. I personally want a pieces of pig candy bacon (bacon w/a brown sugar crust baked in. YUM) dipped in milk chocolate. I think that would be something to wait in line for.
I figure it will be fresh at the fair. And a decidedly different ambience than at WM.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I heard this mentioned on the news and honestly my stomach did a repulsive flip.
Mine did just now.. ugh!

To each his/her own, of course.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 AM

Gosh.
It appears this thread is destined for the "Politics and Other Controversies" CD Forum.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
I'm still holding out for fried butter on a stick!

"Here's how they do it: freeze sticks of butter, cut off 2 tablespoons, put it on a stick, bread it like chicken, and deep fry it."

Deep Fried Butter On A Stick Is The New Fair Treat | digtriad.com | Triad, NC | Most Popular Story

Old 10-16-2009, 07:56 AM

15 posts, read 39,732 times
I'm all for the salty-sweetness of chocolate-covered pretzels and dipping Wendy's fries in a frosty, but chocolate-covered bacon just sounds icky. Has anyone actually tried it? Maybe it's better than it sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary