Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:23 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd share some info I came across on Rapid City's new mall. Looks like we're getting some pretty AMAZING places to shop here!

Drawing Cards-

Dillard's
Furniture Row
Talbot's
Barnes and Noble
Scheel's
Kirkland's
Linens N' Things
Super Target
T.J. Maxx
Gordman's
Circuit City
PetCo

Merchant Stores-

Claire's
Origins
Bath and Body Works
AVEDA Salon
Chico's
Motherhood Maternity
The Children's Place
Gymboree
Celebrity Kids
CJ Banks
Christopher and Banks
Nine West
Jones' Apparel
Cacique
Lane Bryant
Carter's
OshKosh B'Gosh
Coldwater Creek
Justice
Aldo
Journey's
dELIA'S
Kay Jewelers
Pearle Vision
Shoe Carnival
Rue 21
David's Bridal
Dress Barn
Michael's
Maurice's
Vanity
Archiver's
Family Christian Stores
Hallmark
Dollar Tree
Men's Wearhouse
Casual Male
RCC Western Wear
Guitar Center
Jared Jewelers
Sally Beauty
Eyemart Express
GameStop
Verizon Wireless
Charlotte Russe
Forever 21

Restaurants-

Buca di Beppo
Ted's Montana Grill
Red Robin
Max and Erma's
Johnny Carino's
Starbucks
Panera Bread Company
Atlanta Bread
Nothing But Noodles
Rocky Mountain
Caribou Coffee

Hotels-

Hilton Suites at Rushmore Crossing
The Clubhouse at Rushmore Crossing

For more info go to GMX Real Estate Group, LLC - Real Estate Development in Chicago, Illinois. Sorry I cannot seem to get a link up for the site. When you get to the site just scroll down to The Rushmore Crossing Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 PM

117 posts, read 526,783 times
The stores currently located within Rushmore Mall that could be impacted:

Bath & Body Works
Christopher & Banks
Claire's
CJ Banks
Gamestop
Gymboree
Hallmark
Journeys
Kay Jewelers
Maurices
Motherhood Maternity
Pearle Vision
RCC Western
Scheels
Starbucks
Target
Vanity
Verizon Wireless

Hopefully this doesn't cause a mass vacation of the mall. I have my doubts that half of these stores being able to exist within a mile of each other. The new development is great though! (On the good side, it make's my better half less hesitant to move to a smaller town. I'd live in a town of 500 outside of RC if I could, but she doesn't think Omaha is big enough. This is making our compromise much easier on her! Shopping, Shopping, Shopping )

Old 11-02-2007, 07:09 PM

The Rushmore Mall was built back in 1979. It has been remodeled a couple times and it is in need of a complete overhaul. One can tell that it is very old and unappealing.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 PM

117 posts, read 526,783 times
Man, I considered our malls pretty good here in Omaha. Personally, I think Rushmore Mall is in better shape. Pretty sad . However, all development is good development. Thanks for the updated info!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
Maybe, I should take a weekend trip to Rapid in the future and see what Rushmore Crossings is all about when there are some stores open. It is impressive for Rapid to get a development like this along with the Cabela's. It might give Sioux Falls a run for its money.

Sioux Falls has two outdoor shopping centers in the works on its east side (where the Argus Leader and city people think that the town will expand in the next 5-10 years and beyond with thousands of homes) which include Galleria at River's Bend and Dawley Farm. There is talk that Dawley Farm will get a Super Target (the second one in the city) attached with six shops and the development will have additional stores. Galleria at River's Bend is supposed to be upscale with a few bigger tenants and a number of shops. Roads are being widened in the area within the next year or two and a movie theater might move there.

It will be nice to have another shopping area to take some pressure off of 41st Street and give the locals and the people who come to Sioux Falls to do the heavy-duty shopping additional choices. It will be nice to see new chains and second locations of some stores already in the Empire Mall area. I would like to see another Scheels, Old Navy, Kohl's, Target, JC Penney, Foot Locker, and Best Buy. I would love to see a Borders, Dick's Sporting Goods (if no new Scheels), Red Robin, and another Sonic (love their limeades). I may be getting carried away but would be tickeled pink to see these stores have second locations in the two outdoor shopping centers.

I think the Empire Mall will have a few vacancies initially and be a hare slower but will rebound as the city continues to gain residents. SF reached 150,000 this year with its nearby communities such as Brandon, Harrisburg, and Tea are growing at faster rates. Harrisburg's growth and projected growth is mind-boggling. The Empire Mall is a well-kept mall but can use a facade update. I think that traditional malls such as the Rushmore Mall and Empire Mall will eventually have to add an ice skating rink (like the Chapel Hills Mall in Colorado Springs) or other entertainment options to reinvigorate and reinvent themselves to be relevant in the future.

There is a shopping center in NW Sioux Falls being proposed with a Wal-Mart SuperCenter as its anchor (the city's third one) and Red Stone Village being proposed a half mile east with shops and a huge indoor waterpark in the vicinty. An exit will be installed in the next year and the NW area of Sioux Falls, which is growing, will explode with actvity.

My question is how much is Rapid City gaining as a city and the area? Is it in the 65,000 to 70,000 in the city? That would be my guess. I understand that it has been doing well in the past few years but is not growing as fast as Sioux Falls but is holding its own very well.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 AM

Rapid City proper is about 70,000. Including the metro (Rapid Valley, Summerset, Piedmont, Black Hawk, Box Elder, Colonial Pines, etc.) the population is about 150,000. It is also the primary city in the Black Hills and Western South Dakota. It is the largest northern city between the Missouri River and the Western Rocky Mountains in Washington.

Not only does Rapid City serve Western South Dakota, but Nebraska, Wyoming and Montana.

Growth in Rapid City is very progressive. It is not a "boom town" by any means, but that may be a good thing. It is growing at a proper rate. With the incoming of more medical/scientific companies, due to Homestake Mine becoming an underground laboratory, Rapid City will maintain more jobs and commerce. Just recently, Black Hills Corporation has created hundreds of new jobs in Rapid City by increasing its clientele from 100,000 to 750,000 people. Black Hills Corporation is headquartered in Rapid City at the RBC Dain Rauscher Tower.

Some projects in Rapid City include Rushmore Crossing, The Meadows at Northridge, Rushmont Tower (a 15-20 story tower downtown), Wal*Mart Supercenter on Highway 16, Kansas City Street, Cowboy Hill Bike Trails, Executive Towers at Executive Golf Course, and Canyon Lake Park revamping.

The Rushmore Plaza Civic Center is adding a second arena to house the Rapid City Rush, a professional hockey team. The new arena will have twice the capacity of the old one and will have SkyBoxes for private investors. Having two arenas will allow more events to occur at once too.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:17 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Ok, I've been to Rapid before, but I've never heard of Colonial Pines. Also, I was wondering if it's grown that much that those smaller towns are really connected to Rapid.

We went through there, but it's been over a year ago and I just look at the beautiful scenery~not towns or roads and things like that.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Colonial Pines is the area to the southwest of Rapid City. That is where housing developments such as Red Rock, Red Rock Meadows, Countryside, Copper Oaks, and Moon Meadows is located. It is an unincorporated town. Much like most of the towns surrounding Rapid City. Summerset, Box Elder, and Black Hawk are incorporated. Piedmont plans to be incorporated later this year.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 AM

http://www.gmxre.com/projects/Rushmo...g_03_28_07.pdf

More info on Rushmore Crossing. Includng statistics on annual visitors and incomes.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Pictures of Rushmore Crossing

http://www.gmxre.com/projects/Rushmo...ns_03_2007.pdf
Super Target Plans

http://www.gmxre.com/projects/rushmore_crossing1.jpg
Aerial View of Rushmore Crossing Site. Notice Rushmore Mall in the background.

http://www.gmxre.com/projects/Rushmo...ts_06_2007.pdf
100,000 square foot Scheels All Sports Superstore Plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City