Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 07:05 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,405 times

Advertisements

I am just entering this field and really feel overwhelmed with how much I have to learn. I have worked in another part of the real estate industry so I am well aware of what most of the job entails.
I have been reading the Dummies book for real estate agents which I am finding is great for just obtaining basic info. I also have been to 3 classes with my broker while waiting for my license to arrive, which is where the fright comes in - LOL
I have been noting all the things I need to learn/buy/have/do etc.. and that list is getting mighty long. I don't think people give agents enough credit for all they have to know and do, most people think it is SO easy.
I feel I have a real advantage having worked in a related field but gosh I still feel so lost.
I am planning to save about $7000 for my start up costs, I just figure I should be prepared as possible.
I just wonder how you jump into a career that combines so many different
skills? I love helping people and I enjoy the transaction process but sometimes I feel like I am just not the schmoozing sales type. I like to be helpful and guide people but I also like my alone time where I am just paper shuffling.
Sorry to be so long winded but I never knew I would feel like I am smothered with so much to learn and not really a set way to learn it
Any advise would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,436 times
People will appreciate your helpful nature and be attracted to you for those reasons. I have been doing this for about 8 years now and have built a very successful business with nearly all my clients appreciating my honest, helpful way of doing business. The schmoozy sales people don't do as well as you'd think in real estate. Be thorough and detailed, don't make promises you can't keep, get answers to questions you don't know and always be a good listener! You don't have to be the kind of person who talks a lot - you need to be good at listening to what your clients want and then do all you can to help them with their goals. All the best to you redwhiteblue!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times
Best of luck to you!

There are other threads here with titles like "should I get a license?" and so on - which are full of interesting advice and observations from the Realtors here at City-Data.

David Beckett

Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
If your office has a mentoring program then you should discuss that with them. A good mentoring program will have a series of classes, and the mentor will be available for questions throughout the year.

They should schedule weekly or bi weekly classes throughout the year with a planned program. They should allow you to shadow (follow and keep quiet) them on appointments, and also accompany you on appointments to observe and later critique.

The fee is not cheap but they probably have a program where you will pay a percentage of your sales up to a given Cap for the year. It is the best way to get a jump start. Be prepared to work, work, work, about 12 hours a day 7 days a week. After a few weeks take a week end off.

If they have floor time, take advantage of it. Hold open houses for other agents until you have a listing. Then hold your own open house.

Get to know people by taking part in community activities. Buy a name badge and wear it all the time. Be proud that you are a Realtor; work hard at it; and let people know about you.

Develop a brand name that people will remember. Try to use something that is unique to you and doesn't seem trite, over used, or phony.

Buy the book "The Millionaire Real Estate Agent" by Gary Keller, the founder of Keller Williams. Study and follow the guidelines and develop your business plan using that book. It'll be the best $22 investment you'll make in your career.

Start work on your GRI designation. Depending on your time and available funds, this is an excellent way to begin your advanced education.

You'll spend two days on "contracts", Two days on Code of Ethics, and other days on other subjects that will put you a few years ahead of other agents.

Good luck, and if you don't remember anything else, remember this:

"The Harder You Work, The Luckier You Will Become"

You sound like you will be a dedicated agent, so keep us informed of your progress.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,957 times
I'm also a new Real Estate Agent. I'm overwhelmed at all the information that is available. Good luck to you!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Work hard, train hard, spend time around the right people, and you'll do fine. It's not about schmoozing or selling, it's about knowledge and empathy. It sounds like you're doing all the right things so just keep that up.

BTW, little something I've learned and I think almost everyone goes through it. Real estate requires a thick skin. We get rejected a lot, you'll have unscrupulous treat you poorly, you'll have a friend or family member or neighbor do something behind your back at some point. Remember, it's just a business so don't take it personal. You have to learn from and then go on. Ask yourself, why didn't they feel good about doing business with me? Figure it out, and then improve it the next time around. You can take a few tough hits early on, you'll be fine.
My own personal stories in hopes that it helps you or someone else on here new to the biz: I had a neighbor go for sale by owner. I helped, spent time with him, helped him price, etc. He promised he'd list with me if he listed. Then I came home one day and there was a CB sign in his yard. I also learned about exceptions. I lost a high priced listing to an exception because I handled it wrong on the exclusive right to sell. Oh well, live and learn or Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I've yet to make the same mistake twice.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,405 times
Thank you all for your advice I really appreciate it! God knows I need all I can get LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals