Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My projection for the lenght of time before the slow Real Estate Market will turn around.
It's already begun in 2007 5 7.14%
2008 6 8.57%
2009 16 22.86%
2010 15 21.43%
2011 9 12.86%
2012 7 10.00%
2013 3 4.29%
2014 1 1.43%
2015 or beyond 4 5.71%
Don't foresee the market ever coming back. 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:33 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,773,085 times

Advertisements

from 09/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
Ok, I know I will not be popular with a lot of the naysayers, but I had no problem selling my Florida home earlier this year. Yes, I bought it in 2004, and I also know when something is a good deal. I also have an investment home that I have had two different realtors ask me to let them list because it is in the price range of what is 'hot' right now. ..blah, blah..I bought it in 2005 and could still walk away with quite a bit of money. My mother in law ..blah blah.. got her asking price, and has a back up contract on it. Not everyone who bought in the last few years got ripped off. In fact, I don't know anyone who can't make a profit off their homes. maybe not as much as they want, but they can sell if they want to. ...
I know hindsight is 20/20 but ain't it fun to bump a thread using a hilariously misleading post based on only anecdotal evidence!?

So there was no RE crash in FL? ...and we dreamt it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,208,847 times
The crash in 1989 due to the S&L debacle (remember Lincoln Savings and McCain's buddies that got indicted?) did not see any appreciable recovery until circa 2000, at which point it edged up towards it's peak of stupidity in 2007, then crashed again. Peak to peak you're talking 17 or so years. It's generational, and has to do with forgetfulness and the manipulations and machinations of big money resorting to old techniques to profit, leading to the same result. This time around it was derivatives. They all came out smelling like a rose, bailed out by the taxpayers, who footed the bill for the stupidity.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:41 PM

106,906 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
Ok, I know I will not be popular with a lot of the naysayers, but I had no problem selling my Florida home earlier this year. Yes, I bought it in 2004, and I also know when something is a good deal. I also have an investment home that I have had two different realtors ask me to let them list because it is in the price range of what is 'hot' right now. Those are two respected realtors asking for a listing. Yes, I bought it in 2005 and could still walk away with quite a bit of money. My mother in law has her house FSBO in Miami, got her asking price, and has a back up contract on it. Not everyone who bought in the last few years got ripped off. In fact, I don't know anyone who can't make a profit off their homes. maybe not as much as they want, but they can sell if they want to. Not saying some people aren't in trouble, but come one, it's not the majority of people.

nationally 16% of home owners owe more than the home is worth .

they were around 18% the year before .

Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,045,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
from 09/2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891
Ok, I know I will not be popular with a lot of the naysayers, but I had no problem selling my Florida home earlier this year. Yes, I bought it in 2004, and I also know when something is a good deal. I also have an investment home that I have had two different realtors ask me to let them list because it is in the price range of what is 'hot' right now. ..blah, blah..I bought it in 2005 and could still walk away with quite a bit of money. My mother in law ..blah blah.. got her asking price, and has a back up contract on it. Not everyone who bought in the last few years got ripped off. In fact, I don't know anyone who can't make a profit off their homes. maybe not as much as they want, but they can sell if they want to. ...
I know hindsight is 20/20 but ain't it fun to bump a thread using a hilariously misleading post based on only anecdotal evidence!?

So there was no RE crash in FL? ...and we dreamt it all?
Of course there was. The question is, however, had it necessarily happened everywhere in Florida as of September 2008? After all, that was the date of the post that you are now laughing about. I fail to see what is so hilarious about a poster stating that he didn't personally know anyone who couldn't have made a profit on his home by selling in September 2008. In fact, unless someone bought in 2007, or perhaps late 2006, they probably weren't upside down on their house as of mid-2008. House prices were still higher in mid-2008 than they were in 2005, at least in Miami. Of course, they had much further to fall from that point on and through the next several years, but that is not relevant when discussing a comment made in Sept. 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate