Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 07:29 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,850 times

Advertisements

You guys are going to laugh, but yesterday I had a last minute showing request and I did take down the microwave as you guys nearly all suggested. Today we just received a request for a second showing from those people Now I can't say for SURE it was the microwave, but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
You guys are going to laugh, but yesterday I had a last minute showing request and I did take down the microwave as you guys nearly all suggested. Today we just received a request for a second showing from those people Now I can't say for SURE it was the microwave, but...
finger's crossed for you. I hope there's an offer coming your way!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Your assumption and the response of most posters here seems to be that the kitchen is the reason you are not selling. Thus, everyone is focused on how to 'fix' the kitchen. But, you have had almost 50 showings! ... and the kitchen, although smallish, is not really that bad. (Perhaps you could put some mirrors on the paper-towel wall to give the kitchen a slightly larger look .... oops! there I go, responding to the power of suggestion and trying to fix the kitchen!).

After 50 showings (over what period of time?), you may be 'hearing' "the kitchen is the problem," because that is what you would rather hear than, "the price is simply too high for the local market." Prices in much of the country are recovering from a huge downswing, but, are still not back to 2007 levels. If the house is priced right (in your market), this kitchen may be an issue for some, but, should not be a 'show-stopper.'

Contact 2-4 Realtors in your area and ask them to give you a 'price to sell quickly' and a list of things THEY think will help them quickly sell your house. Hint: Don't tell them in advance that, "you already know the kitchen is too small". It's quite possible that your Realtor is likely unintentionally already 'poisoning the well' with potential buyers, by chirping on about how, ... "the kitchen is small, but, quite functional." Instead, wait for lookers to say the kitchen seems small; and respond with, "I don't really think so; the owner cooks from scratch in here 5-nights a week!"

Last edited by jghorton; 05-12-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Your assumption and the response of most posters here seems to be that the kitchen is the reason you are not selling. Thus, everyone is focused on how to 'fix' the kitchen. But, you have had almost 50 showings! ... and the kitchen, although smallish, is not really that bad. (Perhaps you could put some mirrors on the paper-towel wall to give the kitchen a slightly larger look .... oops! there I go, trying to fix the kitchen!).

After 50 showings (over what period of time?), you may be 'hearing' "the kitchen is the problem," because that is what you would rather hear than, "the price is simply too high for the local market." Prices in much of the country are recovering from a huge downswing, but, are still not back to 2007 levels. If the house is priced right (in your market), this kitchen may be an issue for some, but, should not be a 'show-stopper.'

Contact 2-4 Realtors in your area and ask them to give you a 'price to sell quickly' and a list of things THEY think will help them quickly sell your house. Hint: Don't tell them in advance that, "you already know the kitchen is too small". It's quite possible that your Realtor is already 'poisoning the well' by unintentionally suggesting to potential buyers, ... "the kitchen is small, but, quite functional."
Fair points. While I don't believe that's the case, I am more than willing to check in with other realtors to make sure I'm not full of you-know-what. In fact, we're speaking with one tonight.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:07 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Is it possible to replace the big window with a french-type door and have a small deck there for a grill? That's probably about $2K. I like galley kitchens.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Is it possible to replace the big window with a french-type door and have a small deck there for a grill? That's probably about $2K. I like galley kitchens.
Nah, that would go out onto the driveway. We have a stone patio in the back with a grill and table.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
I think it's the good Karma of people wishing you well. It wasn't the microwave. Honestly the ugliest thing is the paper towel holder on the wall, you'd be better off just using one of those stands on a counter instead.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I think it's the good Karma of people wishing you well. It wasn't the microwave. Honestly the ugliest thing is the paper towel holder on the wall, you'd be better off just using one of those stands on a counter instead.

I'll be replacing that with a picture I bought at Home Goods last night.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:12 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I love that idea. I wouldn't recommend the OP do it though. But it's something the real estate agent could bring up to any potential buyer.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:35 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
That's great. I hope an offer comes your way soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate