Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 04:56 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Have any of you recently used a Discount / Flat Fee realtor?

What was good or bad about it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 05:26 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
The "good or bad of it" relates directly to the ability of the individual agent to price their services properly, and to their ethics, integrity, and professionalism.

If anyone tells you there is such a thing as a "discount Realtor," laugh.
If a licensee tells you they are a "discount Realtor," run away.
If a licensee tells you "I charge the standard and don't discount my fees," find a professional businessperson.
The transaction is too important to contend with people who so lack the basic understanding of business and of real estate fees, that they would refer to "discounters."

I get to see a lot of HUD1 settlement statements, and fees range all over the place. I.e., there is no "standard fee" from which to "discount."

We just had a thread here where agents rationalized cheating and incompetence by another agent because he charged so little. I think that is unacceptable.
I've seen agents give great service for not much money, and have seen Seven Percenters who would Throw Momma From The Train for a nickel.

Look for an agent whose presentation and professionalism are agreeable.
And, just ask the agent what they charge, and sit back and listen.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:29 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
There are different types of fee structures. If you are asking about MLS Only Flat Fee rates that is a different kind of service than a flat rate of a full representation brokerage.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:10 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Well, what I am looking for is the MLS listing and then all the paperwork at the end. I don't need any help showing the home or getting it ready to look "right", etc. Been through that too many times to need all the "in-between stuff", particularly when online cruising of homes for sale is now so easy.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:24 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Have any of you recently used a Discount / Flat Fee realtor?

What was good or bad about it?

Thanks!
FSBO MLS Nightmare Agent - HELP!! <--this guy did recently

Old 07-13-2015, 06:30 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
For "all the paperwork at the end", hire a real estate attorney. Otherwise, doing the negotiations and paperwork is a good chunk of the agents job.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:55 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Colorado isn't really a "hire an attorney" type of real estate marketplace. In 26 years, I have had two real estate attorney assisted transactions. One of them was a real estate attorney that specialized in commercial deals. I helped her to help her client to get the transaction staying right on track. She wrote in the Inspection Resolution "see page 14." [Uhhh, okay we saw it. Are we done?] Three months after her transaction closed (I did write an Inspection Resolution that the Seller & Buyer signed,) she called me to list her house.

There are flat fee, "discount" brokers to be had all over Colorado. BUT, we also have minimum standards we all must perform, so there is no list 'em and leave 'em's here.

See http://cdn.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true for minimum services in sections 5 (standard) and 6 (agency) included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate