Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:04 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,968,622 times

Advertisements

We drove from Texas to Oklahoma 11/11/15, spent the night in our house and closed 11/12/15. Lender, buyer's agent and builder were in at least daily contact with us. On 11/11/15 we met with buyer's agent and builder. At closing we met with buyer's agent and lender. Yesterday we receive an email that we owe for the home inspection out of pocket - lender and buyer's agent did not want to disturb us as we were driving. .???. I did not mind paying cash for a $25 HOA letter at closing but everyone knew that our closing costs will be reimbursed by the employer based on what used to be HUD1.

Do I owe it? Morally yes but legally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 01:38 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,673,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We drove from Texas to Oklahoma 11/11/15, spent the night in our house and closed 11/12/15. Lender, buyer's agent and builder were in at least daily contact with us. On 11/11/15 we met with buyer's agent and builder. At closing we met with buyer's agent and lender. Yesterday we receive an email that we owe for the home inspection out of pocket - lender and buyer's agent did not want to disturb us as we were driving. .???. I did not mind paying cash for a $25 HOA letter at closing but everyone knew that our closing costs will be reimbursed by the employer based on what used to be HUD1.

Morally AND legally -- they aren't responsible for whatever arrangements you have with your employer. When you got a copy of your HUD, did you ask "Hey, where's the charge for the home inspection?" It's you who are writing the check -- not them. You didn't review it carefully. Lesson learned.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,174,546 times
On Long Island, the buyer pays for the home inspection. Guess it depends on where the property is located

Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,828,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
On Long Island, the buyer pays for the home inspection. Guess it depends on where the property is located
The buyers pay for their own home inspection in Texas too. Not sure why you would think anyone but you would pay for your inspection. In Texas, it's paid outside of closing, when the service was done.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:51 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,755,380 times
So you are saying that this was a legitimate expense but it was supposed to be reimbursed by the employer and the employer goes strictly by the closing statement?

I can't comment on the legal part but 1) the inspector is owed the money and yes you should pay it; 2) you should talk with your employer, explain what happened, and ask for reimbursement; and 3) contact the closing agent and ask why it wasn't on the HUD in the first place. If the lender wouldn't allow it, that might give you the clout you need to get your employer to understand.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:56 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,783,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

I would say no, if they forgot to include it, they eat it. In a normal situation one inspects a home and pays for it, but this is a new build so it's different. Plus tell them that you have to see if your employer is willing to pay for it or not, that it was an error on their part for not including it.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The buyers pay for their own home inspection in Texas too. Not sure why you would think anyone but you would pay for your inspection. In Texas, it's paid outside of closing, when the service was done.
If it's paid outside of closing, even on new build then I would say yes the op is responsible if it's in TX, but it depends on the law in OK.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:18 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,150,412 times
I have never seen a home inspection on the settlement statement.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:34 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,432,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I would say no, if they forgot to include it, they eat it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

In most of the closing paperwork that I have seen, there has been a provision that the parties agree to pay for any corrections or adjustments which are made after the closing. Whether or not the inspection fee would have been included on the closing statements, you should pay for the inspection if you were the party scheduled to pay for it.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

In most of the closing paperwork that I have seen, there has been a provision that the parties agree to pay for any corrections or adjustments which are made after the closing. Whether or not the inspection fee would have been included on the closing statements, you should pay for the inspection if you were the party scheduled to pay for it.
You may have a point Dorothy, how is your dog Toto doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate