Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:57 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Only if the owners have absolutely zero interest in the home outside of you and have had it on the market for many, many months or even years. Then there's a small chance you might be able to make that arrangement.
^^^This^^^

Only if there are no other interested people whatsoever would I even consider this.

SIL rented a house while waiting for closing. She decided that her bedroom furniture would not fit right and backed out of the deal.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 12-02-2015 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 12:32 PM

20 posts, read 33,671 times
One time I rang the doorbell of the next door neighbor and said I was seriously looking at the house next door and wondered if they could tell me about the neighborhood and if there were any noise from dogs. He was extremely unfriendly and slammed the door in my face! I did not buy the house but told that to the real estate agent who passed it on to the owners of house. If I were the owner I would bribe the next door neighbors to be nicer!

Old 12-02-2015, 12:43 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRRecruiter View Post
One time I rang the doorbell of the next door neighbor and said I was seriously looking at the house next door and wondered if they could tell me about the neighborhood and if there were any noise from dogs. He was extremely unfriendly and slammed the door in my face! I did not buy the house but told that to the real estate agent who passed it on to the owners of house. If I were the owner I would bribe the next door neighbors to be nicer!
I always talk to the neighbors. Ask if there are any street or other assessments coming up. Anything we should know about before making an offer.

People are usually a fountain of information.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM

466 posts, read 644,578 times
If someone rang my doorbell asking about the neighbor's for-sale house, I would think it very strange. I'm not sure I'd be very chatty. It's quite a different situation from seeing a neighbor who is already outside and striking up a conversation with them. IMO, it crosses the line.

Just spend a lot of time on the street, at all hours. That should tell you what you need to know.

No way would I let a potential buyer stay in my house, even for one night.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:56 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,347,175 times
I'm thinking from all the negative answers that you've received, you realize by now that it's not all about you.

I agree with the others that letting someone stay in the house for a week would cause more problems then it would be worth and increase the probability that the buyer would try to find ways to discount the selling price drastically.

It's bad enough that the majority of buyers experience some form of buyers remorse without giving them a week of unencumbered time to build a case and then asking me "why are you asking so much for this when this is old, this is worn out, this doesn't look good, I don't like this and that ?"

The bloom always falls off of the rose after the honeymoon period is over.
It's a natural mental process and the seller always want to put that time that it happens far enough off until there is a safe legal distance.

"Caveat emptor"

Old 12-02-2015, 01:14 PM

Excellent post, NickofDiamonds

Old 12-02-2015, 01:15 PM

20 posts, read 33,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
If someone rang my doorbell asking about the neighbor's for-sale house, I would think it very strange. I'm not sure I'd be very chatty. It's quite a different situation from seeing a neighbor who is already outside and striking up a conversation with them. IMO, it crosses the line.

Just spend a lot of time on the street, at all hours. That should tell you what you need to know.

No way would I let a potential buyer stay in my house, even for one night.
Deciding on where you want to live for years is one of the most important lifestyle and financial decisions you will ever make. Who will know more about the neighborhood than the next door neighbor?

Old 12-02-2015, 01:18 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Maybe look on AirBNB to see if there's a place you can stay near this property so you're closer for however many days you want to be around to see the neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:20 PM

I'm beginning to see why the door got slammed in your face. Smart guy, not wanting you as a neighbor.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:21 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,254 times
I drove by numerous times (New Year's Eve, a Saturday afternoon, after work, etc) and also spoke to a neighbor....still no guarantees.

The husky that lives next door on my left side is one of those ones that barks at anything - cats wandering by, the wind blowing, etc....- rendering it useless for me to garden in my backyard without wearing headphones

The guys on my right have a dog that likes to apparently ram his head against my fence - there is now a huge hole about the size of his head in my fence. I have no dogs.

The family directly across the street from me that insists upon their weekly fiestas. They use their garage as a party palace (complete with speakers that blink blue, green and pink attached to the wall that faces my home) with the huge bbq smoker going in the driveway. The party (and booming bass) infiltrates my home on the regular.

My apartment complex was quieter than this place. I'm selling next year and going back. I've only been here since Feb 2015.

Nothing is guaranteed except death, I guess....oh, and taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate