Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 05:09 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times

Advertisements

There was once a TV program where people did this. The entire family of potential buyers moved in for an overnight stay, so they could experience the home. The idea was if they could imagine themselves living there they would be more inclined to buy it. The program was years ago, but I don't think they used the opportunity to witness the neighbor behaviors. Just things like the 'flow' of the house, and the views of the bay, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 06:36 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRRecruiter View Post
My wife and I have found our dream house, we hope, but are still nervous. Maybe there is something wrong with it that we don't see or hear by just walking through the house. It's a big commitment to buy and have to live there for five years to just break even.

Maybe there are barking dogs, or bad neighbors, or a motorcycle that roars it's engine right outside our window or thin walls (Townhouse).

As a seller, for a fee would you let a serious buyer rent the place for a while to see if they like it before they buy the place?
NEVER! Once you let someone in, you might have to evict them to get them out. Go by the house often, at all hours of the day and night. Talk to all the neighbors. Talk to the police to see if there are complaints in that area. You should be able to find out whether the area is okay without living in the house.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:45 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Here's another NO vote.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:03 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
OP: if you can stand one more "No,don't even bother", I will enter it here.

As noted, this isn't a HGTV special, where IF it was done, the HGTV show would probably guarantee the house guests, if things go wrong.

Now with the advent of "squatters" taking over unused homes-taking months to get them out and leaving a property damaged, with the damage a "potential buyer" could do {concrete in drains/toilets for instance}, with the liability if the potential buyer injures himself falling off the roof while "inspecting" it, etc etc etc.

NO a DANGEROUS PROPOSITION.

WE just bought a house, we asked if we could take or rent a pre-possession of the house to get some things fixed that the owner was not about to, but were required to be fixed by our insurance for our binder {it turns out they gave us 30 days to remedy after possession}, our attorney said such things are fraught with problems and disasters!!! And warned us severely OFF the idea. Since we got the waiver for the insurance we did not pursue it any further and waited patiently for possession the day before TG at closing. We DID find out after possession that the street is a rather busier street than it seemed at all the times I/we were there,but good replacement windows help no noise, and backing out is not as bad as it could be as it could be on a busier street,

So, NO don't pursue it.

As mentioned, drive through the neighborhood at various times of day {school bus times, garbage day,etc.} and walk around at night. That will tell you a lot about it. Ask your agent to take you through at a time when he/she has time to spend and listen to the house. Choose various times of day. Then you can learn more, maybe. Have a home inspection done, should take a couple of hours. cehck all items of interest and those not of interest even. Have a reinspection if issues come up the seller will fix.

As for the house: ALL houses have "sounds", and noises,smells, quirks,thuds and groans and such. You won't find them until YOU DO take possession.

"Yous takes yers chances" to some degree. But learn as much as you can, before hand.

If IT TRULY IS YOUR DREAM HOUSE, Then YOU WILL DEAL with anything that comes up!
If you are THAT worried about it, pass on it and find another house, but don't expect to stay there either!

Best of luck to you, we were/are lucky, we think we got a great house! There are some remodeling issues and some things to repair {like repour the sloped front porch slab and stoop,widen the driveway.} But that will come in due time. can't expect perfection, even if you had your "dream home" built for you.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
Why is your dream house a townhouse? Is the house one of those historic row homes?

No, I wouldn't do that either. Too much liability.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:49 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
One time I rang the doorbell of the next door neighbor and said I was seriously looking at the house next door and wondered if they could tell me about the neighborhood and if there were any noise from dogs. He was extremely unfriendly and slammed the door in my face! I did not buy the house but told that to the real estate agent who passed it on to the owners of house. If I were the owner I would bribe the next door neighbors to be nicer!
I would not answer the door or if my door was open and the screen door was just there, I would quickly get rid of you.

Ask the people you see walking dogs.

I would think you were a nutbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The worst thing you can do is not answer. If it's someone going to try to break into your house, that's the signal they are waiting for telling them no one is home.

This is crazy talk. Robbers now knock on your front door to see if you are home or not? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why is your dream house a townhouse? Is the house one of those historic row homes?

Plenty of multi million dollar townhouses that aren't historic row homes.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:02 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Absolutely not.

Besides, by the time you buy it you should know WAY more about it than you would know after just renting it for a while. You will have spent time and money getting it inspected by several inspectors, talking to your realtor about it, talking to your insurer about it, walking around every part of the house and yard, researching the area on the internet, talking to neighbors, visiting the neighborhood and house at all times of day and night, making measurements, possibly bringing in contractors to give you estimates for planned renovations - - it's not like you are buying a can of hair spray at Wal-Mart, after all.
Although I agree with everyone else that no sellers in their right mind would allow a potential buyer to crash at their home for a week, I don't agree that a potential homebuyer would know more about a home than a renter. Obviously living in a home full time gives the inhabitants much more information about it than someone who visits a house several times. A realtor has a vested interest in selling, thus is unlikely to try to disourage a buyer from buying. Talking to the neighbors is a great idea, but many neighbors don't want to talk to anyone, even people who already live in the neighborhood. If you don't believe me, read the thread about what people do when people knock on your door to strangers. Most people's reactions are to let it go to voicemail.

Checking out the neighborhood many times of the day and night is a good idea also, but even then, OP might not catch annoying or menacing things going on in the area at the time he/she happens to be visiting. The only advantage a buyer has is in the inspection and once again, the seller wants to sell, thus usually won't disclose the negative aspects of the home/area if he/she isn't required to. Thus, it is essential the buyer hire a thorough inspector. My wife is a certified home inspector, and you won't believe the things she has discovered in her inspections that sellers have tried to hide from buyers

Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The worst thing you can do is not answer. If it's someone going to try to break into your house, that's the signal they are waiting for telling them no one is home.
Then when I am sitting on my sofa right by the back door with a gun in my hand, the robber is in for the surprise of his life

Old 12-04-2015, 10:00 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
Always drive through your perspective neighborhood at night. That will tell you a lot about where you are going to live. Do this at various different times.
Even better, do it the night before trash is picked up. How your neighbors set out their trash is quite telling.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:36 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Deciding on where you want to live for years is one of the most important lifestyle and financial decisions you will ever make. Who will know more about the neighborhood than the next door neighbor?
So is selling a home. Why would I take my home off the market for a week to ease your mind? There are other ways to find out about a neighborhood than living in the house. And what would happen if you did stay, decide it was quiet enough for you, then have a new person move in next door that ticks all your negative boxes?

You've put up a red flag to me, as a seller, that you won't do your due diligence and want guarantees. I probably would not only turn down your request, but also turn down any offers you make. If I like my neighbors, why would I subject them to a picky person like you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate