Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times

Advertisements

No, no, no, no, no. Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRRecruiter View Post
My wife and I have found our dream house, we hope, but are still nervous. Maybe there is something wrong with it that we don't see or hear by just walking through the house. It's a big commitment to buy and have to live there for five years to just break even.

Maybe there are barking dogs, or bad neighbors, or a motorcycle that roars it's engine right outside our window or thin walls (Townhouse).

As a seller, for a fee would you let a serious buyer rent the place for a while to see if they like it before they buy the place?
No, sorry. WAY too much liability.

Look, it's a house. No house is perfect. Each and every house has something quirky about it. Barking dogs go away eventually. Bad neighbors will move (or you will). Motorcycles move on. Nice neighbors are there, too.

That's why you have the house inspected by a reputable and experienced home inspector (not your Uncle Al, the guy that almost hung his sheetrock straight in the basement). Amazing the things you find -- and most of them are small things, or things that you won't care about, or things that are easily fixed.

Go by the house at different times of the day and see how it is.

But just remember, while you're standing on the sidewalk dithering, someone else is going to buy your perfect house and you will be kicking yourself.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
My wife and I have found our dream house, we hope, but are still nervous. Maybe there is something wrong with it that we don't see or hear by just walking through the house. It's a big commitment to buy and have to live there for five years to just break even.

Maybe there are barking dogs, or bad neighbors, or a motorcycle that roars it's engine right outside our window or thin walls (Townhouse).

As a seller, for a fee would you let a serious buyer rent the place for a while to see if they like it before they buy the place?

Make it a win/win situation and you very likely can. To make it a win for me the owner will cost you big time. This would also make me way that you are just lookey loo's and could be a problem from the git go.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:

No, too much liability involved, you want to live there for a while, buy the place.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What if they just moved in the previous week???

When you buy a house, there are no guarantees of perfection or even that you won't be annoyed by something. The best thing you can do is hire an excellent, experienced buyers' agent and do your own research.

You also need common sense.

No way would I rent my house out to a "prospective buyer." It's not a good idea for many reasons.
Agreed! I checked out my neighbor and they were good people. Within a month of me taking possession they divorced and the owner moved his dope head son in and he eventually robbed my house.

Life is like a box ofchocoates.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:36 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
My wife and I have found our dream house, we hope, but are still nervous.
OP, don't let your nerves keep you from owning your dream home! Research the neighborhood as much as you can, but if you don't spot anything obviously wrong, screw up your courage and make an offer. You will almost certainly be glad you did!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Check the crimestats. Some can narrow it down to your street.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:59 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,264,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
OP- If you feel comfortable and your agent says ok then go ahead and ask if you make an offer. The worst thing they can say is "no". We said "no" when we were asked the same question during our last home sale. (We actually said no freaken way....not going to happen...those people are dreaming...we are not Enterprise/Hertz rentals or an apartment bldg. Our agent was nice and just said no to the buyers.)
Its really no big deal to ask. As you can see from all the replies, don't count on them saying yes.

I have to laugh a little because I think you've been reading this titled thread on here...

Did you find out terrible unexpected things about your new home the first few days of ownership?

Its gotten you a little freaked out, right?
I had a similar thought. But I was going to suggest the OP read that thread and make a checklist of things to check out before he buys the home. I did suggest in that thread that it should be required reading for anyone buying a home!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I had a similar thought. But I was going to suggest the OP read that thread and make a checklist of things to check out before he buys the home. I did suggest in that thread that it should be required reading for anyone buying a home!
Do you want to scare the poor OP away from EVER buying a house?! He's nervous enough already!

OP, remember that most house problems are fixable, and most neighborhood annoyances turn out to be either minor or short-lived. Be careful in your assessment of the property, but don't let fear keep you from becoming a homeowner if you really want to live in your very own house instead of a rental unit.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:45 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
Nice idea for you but it most likely won't happen. Lots of risk to the seller and no risk to you. And what would it really tell you? It's a condo...next week the unit next door could be rented to 8 college students. There are always unknowns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate