Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 03:36 PM

6,823 posts, read 11,556,490 times

Advertisements

Years ago when I was buying a condo I talked to a nearby resident. He was a retired busybody (the kind who listens to a police scanner to see what's going on) and he told me waaaay more than I really wanted to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 03:44 PM

107 posts, read 100,997 times
If I were to sell my house today everything would be easy-peachy. But come summer, they would find out that my next door neighbor has this monstrous air conditioner right next to the landing where my patio is. The air-conditioner sound waves bounce off the lake water and right back up to my house and it sounds like I'm living next door to a cement factory instead of a quite,, lakefront home.

Luckily I'm not in the market so I don't have these problems. I know that would be a huge thing to omit but every house and neighborhood have an OMG moment when you see things you hadn't noticed before signing.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:14 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
If I were to sell my house today everything would be easy-peachy. But come summer, they would find out that my next door neighbor has this monstrous air conditioner right next to the landing where my patio is. The air-conditioner sound waves bounce off the lake water and right back up to my house and it sounds like I'm living next door to a cement factory instead of a quite,, lakefront home.

Luckily I'm not in the market so I don't have these problems. I know that would be a huge thing to omit but every house and neighborhood have an OMG moment when you see things you hadn't noticed before signing.
Every area has specific noise ordinances. You should get a reading and then get them to put up something that helps muffle the sound. The night-time noise ordinance is easier to fight than the day-time one because the allowable decibel is lower at night.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:23 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRRecruiter View Post
My wife and I have found our dream house, we hope, but are still nervous. Maybe there is something wrong with it that we don't see or hear by just walking through the house. It's a big commitment to buy and have to live there for five years to just break even.

Maybe there are barking dogs, or bad neighbors, or a motorcycle that roars it's engine right outside our window or thin walls (Townhouse).

As a seller, for a fee would you let a serious buyer rent the place for a while to see if they like it before they buy the place?
No way. I only move out of my home after a closed sale.

I understand your concern, but if you want to know the neighborhood I suggest you rent a house in the neighborhood for while.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:30 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
No way. I only move out of my home after a closed sale.

I understand your concern, but if you want to know the neighborhood I suggest you rent a house in the neighborhood for while.
You have to move out before closing

Old 12-02-2015, 04:31 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The worst thing you can do is not answer. If it's someone going to try to break into your house, that's the signal they are waiting for telling them no one is home.
I have dogs that bark like crazy if they hear the neighbor burp. In fact he told me what great watchdogs they are.

Or surprise when they do and get a machete to the forehead.

Plus I look out, I don't answer strangers, last time I did it was a Lithuanian girl looking for work cleaning houses.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:42 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,676,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And even if things are wonderful after you move in, there's no guarantee they'll stay that way. Your lovely neighbor could move and be replaced by the Neighbor from Hell at any time. Likewise, a house can develop a serious problem without much warning.

There's a level of risk involved in home ownership that simply can't be avoided.
Bingo. Plus, OP, consider that you are asking the seller to take the house off the market and not show it while you are camped out there trying to make up your mind, and then clean up after you.

Life is a crapshoot. If you like the house and can afford it, don't obsess over remote contingencies.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:06 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
You have to move out before closing
I hand over the keys to the house at closing. There is a walk through by the buyers a few hours before closing and my moving van doesn't leave the home until the real estate contract has closed. I've never had a problem with a closing.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:52 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
This is real life--not an HGTV show.

Never would agree to it. If a buyer had this much doubt that they wanted to live in my house for a week, I'd expect that they would be a real pain throughout the entire transaction and nitpicking every little thing during the inspection process.

No thank you.
I agree! I'd avoid such individuals like the plague.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:27 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,645 times
What kind of person even thinks this crap up????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate