Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Granite Countertops losing favor in your market. If "Yes," what do you see replacing
Yes, I see them losing favor. 44 23.16%
No, granite is still hugely popular. 103 54.21%
Quartz 64 33.68%
Cultured Marble 11 5.79%
Tile 0 0%
Wood 2 1.05%
Concrete 6 3.16%
Stainless Steel 7 3.68%
Recycled materials 8 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 AM

586 posts, read 555,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, doesn't "favor" imply "favorite?"

I get what you are saying, and I guess that "trend" could have been employed.

We see some quartz, but many people not willing to pony up.

And, too much quartz looks artificial, vs. the genuine appearance of granite.
All IMO...
The main problem I experience with granite is poor color choice. The worst is the hunter green type with lots of maroon or brown streaks, which manages to look dated the day it is installed. It is very hard to incorporate into a neutral color scheme without becoming the predominant design element.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
The main problem I experience with granite is poor color choice. The worst is the hunter green type with lots of maroon or brown streaks, which manages to look dated the day it is installed. It is very hard to incorporate into a neutral color scheme without becoming the predominant design element.
I think the kind with the peachy or pink streaks is way worse. Although some of the greens are just hideous.

I always tell my clients who want to go from Formica to granite to pick a neutral color for resale. I've walked into a lot of homes where the buyers look at new granite and immediately talk about how they need to rip it out. I tell people to add funk with furniture, paint, and art. Keep the things that are hard to replace like cabinets, counters, and flooring relatively neutral.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:37 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
My vote for recycled materials was the only one. Recently I saw recycled glass is being made into a composite countertops and thought they were very attractive. Expensive though. I think some composites are really nice looking, and they're more durable than natural quartz or marble.

How a countertop is installed matters a lot to me. I don't like seeing a big slab with long ends hanging over the side of the counter. This is supposed to make it usable as a table or something. I like a neat, tight installation.

Quartz and marble both look too much like flipper countertops anyway.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
I'm not sure if granite is falling out of favor ... or if it has grown so common-place that people are simply expecting it or looking for more unique alternatives (?). Further, at least in our area, if a home for sale has Formica instead of granite, it is generally discounted a bit as 'outdated.' It's kind of like crown molding or stainless appliances, which used to be considered upgrades, but are now expected or discounted if a home for sale doesn't have them.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:46 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post

BTW, granite can be losing favor and still be hugely popular and I think that describes the situation here best.
I'm glad that you pointed out the logic problem here. I tried to coach this poster on survey design but it looks like he didn't get it. The yes and no choices should be the opposite of each other and mutually exclusive.

Also the wording in the question asks for what you see in your market but the instructions ask for your own personal preference for what should replace granite. Confusing, sloppy and inconsistent to the level that respondents have no idea what is being asked of them.

'Losing favor' is not a neutral term and can wrongly imply that granite is 'in favor' in everyone's market or at least has some level of popularity. When the survey asks what will "replace" granite, it's not clear what that means but it sort of suggests replacing it as the "leader" which it most certainly may not be in all markets. Or if you take the meaning in the instructions, you might interpret it as assuming that it's replacing it as your favorite material since the instructions ask for your personal favorite. Again, confusing and implying assumptions that may not be correct.

The survey tool does not support the type of survey that the OP wants to do. You're left with an awkward set of results mixing percentages of respondents across two separate questions. But I'll concede this one as the limitations of the tool.

Good survey design is a basic business skill, even if you don't do research as it's important to get structured feedback from your clients and other stakeholders. Also, I would be concerned that people who have to deal with contracts should have a basic eye for logic problems and clarity and consistency of language/terminology. I know that this is not a PHD thesis but I believe that one should aim for excellence with even the small things so your online presence is consistent with the brand values that you may wish to portray (e.g. diligence, attention to detail, clarity, straight talking, etc). Sometimes 'robust' feedback can be difficult to take but if you keep an open mind and an open heart, you can really learn from a gift of honest and direct feedback.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:07 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Granite is très passé

Old 09-01-2017, 12:18 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
All fun and games when that nice new resin counter top has yellow spots.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:33 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
I was never a fan of granite just because you have to seal it. I currently have corian and I'm happy with it. If I was to ever change my counter tops I would probably do quartz.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:48 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Geez, just_because, you need to lighten up on the caffeine. It's an informal poll and it's HIS poll so I suppose he can construct it any old way he likes. I was just pointing out a simple observation, not questioning whether he should be building scientific polls for a living. Relax...offer an opinion on the subject (or not)...and pat yourself on the back for being so much smarter than everyone else.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:13 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,661,497 times
On the new home side, I see Quartz being the choice at least 50 % of the time. Thats huge, compared to just a few years ago, when it was maybe 10%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate