Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,390 times

Advertisements

It's called being a sociopath. You duct tape it and sell it to a sucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 01:05 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
If your interpretation of my OP was that I was inquiring why something is priced as it is, a simple answer would go something like this: "because of xyz costs." Instead I received snark with the general gist being "you don't know anything about costs, I guess you expect things for free, you entitled snot."
Funny how a majority "misinterpreted" your OP. You didn't bring up the price as much as you brought up the general gist of "How dare they charge this much!" When people did bring up the simple answer your response was it was a rip off and they had no right to charge the price they were asking thus passing judgement on how much a flipper should make.
You should also be aware that the nature of the internet is pretty much what you see here. Not to mention a lot of people will call out others on BS.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Re: bold, someone -- thought it was you -- said my instincts are holding me back, and I really don't feel like I've been held back at all...for some reason, a few CD peeps seem to think I'm a failure because I haven't bought a home yet. I'm not in the rush they seem to think I should be
no, this is what I typed:

Quote:
If your logic and instincts counter what you're being told - there's nothing wrong with that. You'll follow scenario #1 many posts ago, and it will eventually end in a house in your name.
Your intuition is holding you back, because in the act and practice of buying a home, yours is not developed.

As per above, I've agreed you will eventually get a house, and it will be on a timeframe that works for you.

Your expectation - may not come to reality, but you SHOULD expect it to - that it will cost you a lot more in both higher house price and higher interest rate. But it will have satisfied your instinct and your logic.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

I seriously doubt a house that was off the market 10 days has had much work done to it. If the price went up a hundred thousand dollars, I think it's fair to wonder why. Why is that a reason to beat someone up for 20 pages? Like she's not supposed to ask?

Just sayin... It's a surprising thing to want to argue about. None of us know what happened.
I'm pretty sure I was in the first 5 posts, and went down this line of clarification. A simple statement of "facts" and how they were obtained would shorten many of these threads.

She's said it herself - most of her threads are just venting.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:16 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,390 times
Don't be in a rush to buy a home. People are asleep. Oil shock is on the way. Bakken field rapidly declining. Permian field rapidly declining.

There is no money being made.

When oil prices goes up...that's it. Game over.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I've had the misfortune of igniting the wrath of 2 groups, arguably the 2 largest groups on CD: Real estate agents and flippers. First time buyers, who I think would actually be able to relate to my sentiments, don't really have a reason to hang around CD. They buy their homes and move on. Many of those who do frequent CD make a living at relying on naive buyers willing to overspend. When someone challenges them, they resort to brow beating them into submission. I'm not claiming to be innocent here, I've had my share of snips, but it's a shark tank in here when you speak up Especially if they feel what you say threatens their way to make a living (which reinforces to me that I'm onto something...)
and now we see who is truly attacking who.

I've not seen a single Realtor start out with anything resembling "wrath" at any of your questions. Every one of us that engages early on in your threads attempt to provide helpful info and turn our professional experience into sound advice

I find very few flippers frequent CD.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:30 PM

14,495 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I dunno... my perspective is y'all are playing in the same mud.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
I don't care if people disagree with me, but there is a way to do it that doesn't involve talking down to and insulting someone. I also find it laughable that the rudest of the bunch claim they were "just trying to be helpful." That is akin to someone stealing your muffin, probably eating it for themselves, then shrugging and saying "just trying to help you lose weight." A few of you also keep putting words in my mouth and steamrolling past what I say, inferring the wrong thing, twisting it and then scoffing at how dumb I am (with "you're" impeccable grammar.) I never said that I think his *net* would be 100K, that he shouldn't profit *at all* from a flip, and I sure as Dickens didn't imply I thought I wouldn't have to pay contractors if I were to buy a fixer upper...
Who wrote this?

"...but I think the margin of profit matters. A net of 20K is fair, but 90K for 10 days of work just seems over board to most people..."

Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
If your interpretation of my OP was that I was inquiring why something is priced as it is, a simple answer would go something like this: "because of xyz costs." Instead I received snark with the general gist being "you don't know anything about costs, I guess you expect things for free, you entitled snot."
Inaccurate. Like I suggested, just read the first FORTY replies.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, first - when you say the "price history", I assume you're looking at Zillow. If I'm wrong, skip ahead a paragraph.

Zillow is notorious for incorrect information. Anything that is a deed transfer shows as a "sale" to Zillow. If I bought a house 5 years ago for $250K, then get married and add my wife today, Zillow says it "sold" today for $250K. Which of course, is false.

Now, there are also a fleet of "iBuyers" - think of "We Buy Ugly Houses", whose business model relies on getting less-savvy folks to sell on the cheap - because it's easy fat money, they don't know the value, and they don't have to do anything to sell (no repairs, improvements, cleaning, etc).

So, it is indeed possible to buy a house well below market value, clean it in 10 days, maybe slap a coat of fresh paint on it, and put it back on the market quickly.

So, the question becomes - how did this home compare in price to OTHERS that you've seen in that price range? Do most high-$300's homes have all the things you mentioned? Would all those things cost more than $20K?

I don't know the answer, because I don't know your market. But whether a home is bought last week or last decade, what matters is today's market value and how it compares to other homes.
This was in fact the very first response to the post. How this could ever be seen as anything other than a thorough and helpful post is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate