Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

I'm not really concerned about the price history, unless it gives me a clue as to what the present owner might sell for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 07:45 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Is there something that I am missing that might possibly justify the hostility toward this poster and this question? IMHO, this forum has taken a mean turn lately... it no longer feels like a welcome place for people to ask questions and talk about real estate issues. It's a place that starts fights and holds a grudge.

Questions that could be answered within a page or two, go on for 20+ pages full of snarky argument and personal attacks, instead of good helpful discussion. It's been happening over and over again. Different posters, different issues, same bad attitudes. Is the whole world just crabby lately?

It's not good.... whatever it is. I'm hear to chat with people about real estate and maybe help them if I can.... not to pounce on somebody in a battle of wits over minutiae issues that good people really don't have to agree on.

I seriously doubt a house that was off the market 10 days has had much work done to it. If the price went up a hundred thousand dollars, I think it's fair to wonder why. Why is that a reason to beat someone up for 20 pages? Like she's not supposed to ask?

Just sayin... It's a surprising thing to want to argue about. None of us know what happened.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Is there something that I am missing that might possibly justify the hostility toward this poster and this question? IMHO, this forum has taken a mean turn lately... it no longer feels like a welcome place for people to ask questions and talk about real estate issues. It's a place that starts fights and holds a grudge.

Questions that could be answered within a page or two, go on for 20+ pages full of snarky argument and personal attacks, instead of good helpful discussion. It's been happening over and over again. Different posters, different issues, same bad attitudes. Is the whole world just crabby lately?

It's not good.... whatever it is. I'm hear to chat with people about real estate and maybe help them if I can.... not to pounce on somebody in a battle of wits over minutiae issues that good people really don't have to agree on.

I seriously doubt a house that was off the market 10 days has had much work done to it. If the price went up a hundred thousand dollars, I think it's fair to wonder why. Why is that a reason to beat someone up for 20 pages? Like she's not supposed to ask?

Just sayin... It's a surprising thing to want to argue about. None of us know what happened.
I think what you're missing is previous threads by this particular OP. I read a comment upthread and went to check it out. That and the absolute refusal to actually listen to what's being said to her because it doesn't fit with what she WANTS to believe, which appears to be a pattern.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
1 story 1 BR homes in the neighborhood usually sell for 420-ish (give or take). That's close to the offer we put in.
Now we are getting somewhere. And the condition and layout of those homes: were they similar - roof age, hvac, renovations like bathrooms/kitchens/floors/windows/etc.? Pool, screened porch, yard size, sheds/shops, etc?

Was the one you offered on in superior, similar, or inferior condition?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think what you're missing is previous threads by this particular OP. I read a comment upthread and went to check it out. That and the absolute refusal to actually listen to what's being said to her because it doesn't fit with what she WANTS to believe, which appears to be a pattern.

Indeed I think part of the problem is the grudges over old issues and old threads.

I responded early on this thread with a thoughtful answer and explanation, and got a polite and thoughtful response in return. Very civilized.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:32 PM

418 posts, read 367,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Wow you really have a narrow awareness of the world.
Where did you get this idea a pizza costs 1.80? including overhead? Overhead kills more eateries. I guess the whole world isn't as savy as you. I see pizza places with 25 and 30 dollar pizzas and there is a wait to get in. I guess all those people are just idiots and there is a lot of them. I'm sure Little Ceasars pizza is more your style, I think it tastes like cardboard, but hey it's cheap. A really good pizza is worth it to me and many others.

A quick $100K??? Once again you don't know what he has into it. He might have gotten it at a good price because it had major issues like foundation that scared everyone else off or no one could buy because it couldn't be financed.

I have homes I bought that had to be all cash because of big issues and no buyer could get a loan. Not much competition so they took my lowball offers ( yeas I actually cared about getting the houses) I got them at very low prices and fixed them and with 2 weeks they were worth 40 to 50% more than I paid.
How do I know? I refinanced 2 of them and they appraised 50% more than I had into them. At 75% LTV I got all my money back I had invested and some extra.
Know what? The bank knew what I paid for the houses. But they based the value on what it is worth in the market , not by judging if I made a lot of money on it. That is what you seem to be doing.
I think I touched a nerve
I won't repeat myself again. All of my retorts to each of your points can be found further up in the thread several times. I do find it hypocritical that you scoff at anybody but you lowballing be it on houses or pizza. I'm glad a bank appraised the property based on their own merits, that doesn't mean I'm going to fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars on a property that I feel has a shady history. I'm not a bank, I'm a buyer.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Sorry I misunderstood or missed where you had the skills to rehab a house yourself.
Yeah, you're the only one that can hire contractors The price difference (the flipper can do it for cheaper) will be the flipper's attempted profit (what he tried to charge me for the mark up).

Old 10-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I've had the misfortune of igniting the wrath of 2 groups, arguably the 2 largest groups on CD: Real estate agents and flippers. First time buyers, who I think would actually be able to relate to my sentiments, don't really have a reason to hang around CD. They buy their homes and move on. Many of those who do frequent CD make a living at relying on naive buyers willing to overspend. When someone challenges them, they resort to brow beating them into submission. I'm not claiming to be innocent here, I've had my share of snips, but it's a shark tank in here when you speak up Especially if they feel what you say threatens their way to make a living (which reinforces to me that I'm onto something...)

Old 10-10-2017, 09:00 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:

LOL
This forum feels just about the same as it ever has to me over the last 11 years.
We HAVE had an influx of trolls lately, but that is really nothing new. They tend to come in spurts, and always have. Troll traffic is common, but varies widely over brief periods.

Real estate sales discussions do lead to intense conversations, but people who are open, honest, and reasonable provide good conversational opportunities.
Trolls and unreasonable people tend to get a bit of pushback, and always have.

Meh. All in the game of internet forums.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:07 PM

I'm not new to forums... Nor to human nature.

Yeah... the whole dang world is prickly and argumentative... not sure why I'd expect it to be different here.

Carry on.... talking about whatever it is this is about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate