Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 09:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Real estate sales discussions do lead to intense conversations, but people who are open, honest, and reasonable provide good conversational opportunities.
Trolls and unreasonable people tend to get a bit of pushback, and always have.
I agree completely.

The one thing guaranteed to raise the ire of a "large group" on CD is a stubborn naive person, which is what we've been dealing with here. It's rare when THAT MANY posters here agree on something almost universally, and a rational person would notice this and at least question that MAYBE they don't actually know what they're talking about lol.

Not all of us are agents or work in the industry in any way. Some of us just have experience buying and selling. And some of us have taken econ classes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
As a house hunter and potential imminent buyer, I look at price history of any home I'm interested in. For me, a checkered history of ownership, much like a resume with several quick work history jumps, looks bad. My first thought is something is severely wrong with the home, my second thought is it's a flip job. Did they do the work well? Is the house perfect now? Does what they did justify the price jump?
We just looked at a house today that sold this past summer for 389K, and 10 days later was listed for 480K! Almost 100K of work in 10 days???!? And it's still not perfect. It still needs CAC, the basement is unfinished and there's only one bathroom (not a great one at that.) Despite this swift seller's market, it's been on the market for almost a month and they've had to lower the price by 10K. I doubt they did more than a few cosmetic changes in 10 days and therefore I don't see how they can justify such a huge price spike. I like the house and would buy it for a reasonable price, but don't see their asking price as reasonable. How does a flipper expect to find a buyer interested in paying top dollar for a house that was *just* sold for almost 100K less??
I'm sure there are a ton of buyers that don't care whether or not a home is a 'flip' or not and many it seems prefer a flip house because everything or pretty much everything is 'new' or updated.
If so many buyers cared these homes wouldn't be selling.

No house is perfect , even new homes. If you send an inspector in will find things wrong.

10 days does seem very fast and I doubt much could be done...but what matters more is if they are offering the home at a competitive price.

If you are shopping for retail properties , pretty much move in properties where you can buy with a 30 year loan or FHA loan you will have to compare the home to other properties on the retail market.

If you are buying wholesale like it sounds the flipper did , these days you'll most likely have to buy with cash or a hard money loan and generally there is a lot of work that needs to be done.

Also even if they did buy and then put it right on the MLS without much work. There is going to be about 6% commission on the sale..plus closing costs. It's not like it would be 100k profit.

If you like the home but think the price is too high you should offer what you feel is reasonable for the house.
If they are flippers they should be more motivated to sell quick versus someone that lived in the home for years and has an emotional attachment etc.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish

Real estate sales discussions do lead to intense conversations, but people who are open, honest, and reasonable provide good conversational opportunities.
Trolls and unreasonable people tend to get a bit of pushback, and always have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree completely.

The one thing guaranteed to raise the ire of a "large group" on CD is a stubborn naive person, which is what we've been dealing with here. It's rare when THAT MANY posters here agree on something almost universally, and a rational person would notice this and at least question that MAYBE they don't actually know what they're talking about lol.

Not all of us are agents or work in the industry in any way. Some of us just have experience buying and selling. And some of us have taken econ classes
This right here. I've been on C-D for donkey's years (since early 2008) and it hasn't really changed all that much in all that time. And the dynamic described above has always been part of it.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:43 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Thank you. I've had the misfortune of igniting the wrath of 2 groups, arguably the 2 largest groups on CD: Real estate agents and flippers. First time buyers, who I think would actually be able to relate to my sentiments, don't really have a reason to hang around CD. They buy their homes and move on. Many of those who do frequent CD make a living at relying on naive buyers willing to overspend. When someone challenges them, they resort to brow beating them into submission. I'm not claiming to be innocent here, I've had my share of snips, but it's a shark tank in here when you speak up Especially if they feel what you say threatens their way to make a living (which reinforces to me that I'm onto something...)
Wow now you're making accusations that that the people who tried to help you and educate you are just out to take advantage of people.
You're perception of getting brow beaten is because most people aren't agreeing with you. People who have more experience at not only selling homes, but buying them too. You on the other hand have limited experience in either and just make up what you mind imagines. Reality doesn't always agree with you.
You comment about hiring contractors makes me chuckle. How do you think the prices get raised so much in the first place? You start hiring contractors you're going to find things are going to cost you more than you think.
Let me add if you think you have raised the wraith of the 2 largest groups, you're forgetting my group, the homeowner. I've never flipped a home in my life, but I own many and have gone through a lot of sales and purchases in my lifetime, far more than I'll bet you have.
But of course, you know more than all the rest of us. Must be all that home buying experience you have and eating cheap pizza. You remind me of my thrifty father who always thought people were out to rip him off and charge too much so he wood do it himself. In the end many things he did cost more money and were not done well.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I agree completely.

Remember she knows more than all of us and is right.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
It looks like we've come to a brief timeout period here after over 200 posts, a large percentage by the OP. Perhaps, to better understand what exactly it is she is asking, she would like to start over and let us know if she was simply venting about a situation involving this particular house or if she actually is looking for answers. In that case rephrasing what she is asking would be helpful by being very specific in her questions as would understanding that some of the answers she may receive may fly in the face of her own preconceptions.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Is there something that I am missing that might possibly justify the hostility toward this poster and this question? IMHO, this forum has taken a mean turn lately... it no longer feels like a welcome place for people to ask questions and talk about real estate issues. It's a place that starts fights and holds a grudge.

Questions that could be answered within a page or two, go on for 20+ pages full of snarky argument and personal attacks, instead of good helpful discussion. It's been happening over and over again. Different posters, different issues, same bad attitudes. Is the whole world just crabby lately?

It's not good.... whatever it is. I'm hear to chat with people about real estate and maybe help them if I can.... not to pounce on somebody in a battle of wits over minutiae issues that good people really don't have to agree on.

I seriously doubt a house that was off the market 10 days has had much work done to it. If the price went up a hundred thousand dollars, I think it's fair to wonder why. Why is that a reason to beat someone up for 20 pages? Like she's not supposed to ask?

Just sayin... It's a surprising thing to want to argue about. None of us know what happened.
Well it seems like it was answered in a few pages and the OP just wouldn't accept it and kept arguing, whose fault is that?
I think whatever hostility you perceive was brought on by the OP. Some people tried to help her understand like you say you would like to see in the forum, but she just argued with more experienced people and then insulted them.
BTW look at her last post, it seems like you might be considered one of the people who is out to rip off naive people.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:53 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
Quote:
I agree completely.

Best reply yet! +1

Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,145,772 times
I follow real estate for fun/hobby on realtor, look only at $1-15m homes. I find it funny when a home will sit on market in a resort area for a year plus, say for $2.3m near Lake Tahoe (close to the lake) then it goes offline. Appears 3-6 months later with an increase in price of say $200-300k. Yeah, your home has been for sale for a few years now, and you think increasing price is good thing???

Old 10-11-2017, 06:51 AM

418 posts, read 367,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Wow now you're making accusations that that the people who tried to help you and educate you are just out to take advantage of people.
You're perception of getting brow beaten is because most people aren't agreeing with you. People who have more experience at not only selling homes, but buying them too. You on the other hand have limited experience in either and just make up what you mind imagines. Reality doesn't always agree with you.
You comment about hiring contractors makes me chuckle. How do you think the prices get raised so much in the first place? You start hiring contractors you're going to find things are going to cost you more than you think.
Let me add if you think you have raised the wraith of the 2 largest groups, you're forgetting my group, the homeowner. I've never flipped a home in my life, but I own many and have gone through a lot of sales and purchases in my lifetime, far more than I'll bet you have.
But of course, you know more than all the rest of us. Must be all that home buying experience you have and eating cheap pizza. You remind me of my thrifty father who always thought people were out to rip him off and charge too much so he wood do it himself. In the end many things he did cost more money and were not done well.
I don't care if people disagree with me, but there is a way to do it that doesn't involve talking down to and insulting someone. I also find it laughable that the rudest of the bunch claim they were "just trying to be helpful." That is akin to someone stealing your muffin, probably eating it for themselves, then shrugging and saying "just trying to help you lose weight." A few of you also keep putting words in my mouth and steamrolling past what I say, inferring the wrong thing, twisting it and then scoffing at how dumb I am (with "you're" impeccable grammar.) I never said that I think his *net* would be 100K, that he shouldn't profit *at all* from a flip, and I sure as Dickens didn't imply I thought I wouldn't have to pay contractors if I were to buy a fixer upper...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate