Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
Seriously,? Have you ever been to Atlanta? Home to Coca Cola, CDC, Delta,etc... and now Amazon...Very strong job market...
Amazon picked Atlanta as their new east coast headquarters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
In 2 years or so, there will be some cooling off as the rates hit a threshold that starts to bite the market and may cause RE prices to drop or stay flat. I recently refi at 3.375% in 2017, I don't think the rates will be this good for a long time or may never be back this low.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
When was the previous one before 2006 because I don't remember it. I don't see a crash unless the banks and wall street find another scam to pull on the American public. A cooling off yes, a crash, no.
Mid 1990s

Old 05-10-2018, 06:44 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,094 times
For the sake of the next generation (younger Millennials, gen Z), they could use a real estate crash and a rental cost plateau (or crash, but why get hopes up)?

Old 05-10-2018, 06:48 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
Did you mean $6M or $60M? Can't think of anything in this area that would have cost that much to build, not even the Parillo mansion in Lincoln Park.
Maybe I'm off on the amount, I've seen multiple figures listed in terms of what it cost to built, I've seen it published as low as 25 mill and as much as 60 mill in different articles. I believe it was last purchased for just under 3 mill and I think they are trying to get 10 for it now. I believe its currently for sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HteqrOUCFVs

Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 AM

718 posts, read 599,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Maybe I'm off on the amount, I've seen multiple figures listed in terms of what it cost to built, I've seen it published as low as 25 mill and as much as 60 mill in different articles. I believe it was last purchased for just under 3 mill and I think they are trying to get 10 for it now. I believe its currently for sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HteqrOUCFVs
Yes, It's up for $10.9M, even by that villages standards, that's a lot of money and I hardly see it as a vacation getaway, you never know, I say there is a buyer for every house.

p.s. the video was quite amusing to me, I thought I was in Beverly Hills, CA.... nope

Last edited by photogal9; 05-10-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 AM

182 posts, read 239,417 times
Correction coming. I've been watching the market here in central Florida for almost two years. Two houses in my hood are still empty after two years waiting for that dream buyer because they are priced way too high Starting to see a bunch of price reduced listings as sellers get a wake up call after trying to test the market.

My favorite ones are the owners who list and then do a 20,000 grand price cut in 7 days. WTH?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:19 AM

718 posts, read 599,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
Correction coming. I've been watching the market here in central Florida for almost two years. Two houses in my hood are still empty after two years waiting for that dream buyer because they are priced way too high Starting to see a bunch of price reduced listings as sellers get a wake up call after trying to test the market.
It's already happening were I live. Listing's were going under contract within days, what I put on the market on Nov 30, '17, was under contract by Dec 2, closed in January. Now, some listing's will go under contract within a week or so, yet quite a few other's have been sitting stale at over +45 days on the market, with price drops, or worse, at original list.

“Look at market fluctuations as your friend rather than your enemy; profit from folly rather than participate in it.” - Warren Buffet

Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Anyone have the feeling that we're back in 2007 territory again with housing inventory, rising prices and easy mortgages?

This article says we might be: https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com...-is-in-trouble

Last year, I bought a lovely home in a good area, and I had to outbid two other buyers to get it. I'm told that this year, the market is even hotter, and that houses are being sold within hours of being listed.

I've got a couple friends that are Realtors, and they're telling me that the market is super-heated right now with no sign of cooling off.

Have we come to the end of another real estate cycle? Are prices going to drop off a cliff soon?
All markets are local down to the zip code, neighborhood within the zip code and block. Great swaths of the US have not recovered to 2006 prices. I live and work in one that remains 20-25% under former peak values, especially at higher price points.

There have been and will always be local bubbles and busts throughout the US.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
Yes, It's up for $10.9M, even by that villages standards, that's a lot of money and I hardly see it as a vacation getaway, you never know, I say there is a buyer for every house.

p.s. the video was quite amusing to me, I thought I was in Beverly Hills, CA.... nope
Originally listed for $25 million.

30,000 sq ft. 22 car garage. 2.5 acres. Property taxes $95,000/yr.

Those who are ready, willing and able to afford properties in this range, usually prefer to build their own, rather than buy someone else’s vision of perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate