Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post
Any advice for my question specifically about small children in our home (above) would be appreciated.
You can admonish all you want, but the reality is that once they are in your home, you have no control over what they do.

I was once selling a house that wasn't full of priceless artifacts, and kids still somehow got into a bin of Pla-Doh from a top shelf and then ground it into the carpet. Because parents WILL bring their kids to a showing, and they won't watch them every second.

I agree that banning kids will limit your showings, but it's probably the only way for you to feel OK with the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 05:08 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Are you saying it is against the law to restrict a showing to adults only? I could see where it could limit the number of people who might want to look, but to be illegal seems extreme. Maybe the agent could word the remarks differently but sufficiently to keep kids from running loose in someone else's home? Of course an empty house would obviate that problem.
No, I'm saying that a spurious complaint might be filed.
Avoiding complaints is generally better than defending against them, even if one prevails.

I had the potential opportunity to list a home chock full of valuable artwork.

I spoke with two attorneys and a staff member at Raleigh human rights (?) regarding barring children from showings.
In the end, I backed away.
The attorneys opined that I would have a defensible position if there was a complaint.

The staff member did not address that question, but merely told me that I should expect an immediate complaint and asked me how much time I would care to spend in hearings.
I sort of lost interest.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:12 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
I like Mike's idea. I have friends who had nice things when trying to sell their homes...not gallery quality like yours. I have one friend who has good paintings, though and she wouldn't even allow them to be photographed for interior pictures. Rather than forego photos of those rooms she eventually stored them with relatives she trusted.

Thing is you would have to package your valuables in a certain way and store them in the appropriate air temperature, maybe even with an alarm in case the temp goes awry. Sort of museum quality storage.

Simplest thing would be to move first.

If that's not possible, how about a good nearby rental apartment?

Old 06-24-2018, 05:17 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
All three realtors advised us to show the house with its furnishings. Our last two houses sold within ten days, at the prices we asked, in part precisely because of the art and antiques. Our present home is in a highly desirable area, with approximately fifty per cent families and fifty per cent retirees. The house is not difficult to view or to walk around; no one is restricted from any area of the house. As stated above, it is not cluttered or crammed with furnishings. Our house is a home, not an art gallery, with furniture, TVs, books, plants, and the usual things one finds in most homes.

Any advice for my question specifically about small children in our home (above) would be appreciated.
Well, if you put something in the notes, similar to ‘two hours notice due to pets’ except for screening children, it’s likely to cause hard feelings before potential buyers even see your house. Probably best to have your realtor call the other realtors who want to bring clients by and explain your situation. That way, the realtor can get in touch with their clients and either tell them no children allowed or you, your husband or realtor could be present for each showing. It’s something that should be handed with finesse, otherwise, you might insult the parents/potential buyers, who think their perfect kids would never break anything. Also, disappearing into an office is one thing, but if you or your realtor is going to walk around with the group and watch their kids, it’s going to make people uncomfortable.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:00 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Banning kids is problematic... You can attempt to have your broker talk to the buyer's broker about being vigilant and careful, but the trouble with warnings is, the parents most likely to heed them, don't need them. Trust me, I've advised and warned clients many times. The good ones will be good regardless... and those who need the warning, don't listen or know how to be that kind of parent.

If you really want to confront and throw out bad parents, then say you'll stay for all showings. If you won't want to confront them, then don't watch. I don't think it will do anyone any good for you to just glower and make everyone uncomfortable and hurried.

My advice is make sure your things will be insured for this circumstance. And if they are emotionally valuable, store them away.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:28 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
It is not “your home”.
It is real estate you want to sell.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
I have always bought a new house and moved into it first and then sold the previous house just to avoid what OP is enduring. So much less stressful.

I wish I had tips for the OP, but I don’t.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
All three realtors advised us to show the house with its furnishings. Our last two houses sold within ten days, at the prices we asked, in part precisely because of the art and antiques. Our present home is in a highly desirable area, with approximately fifty per cent families and fifty per cent retirees. The house is not difficult to view or to walk around; no one is restricted from any area of the house. As stated above, it is not cluttered or crammed with furnishings. Our house is a home, not an art gallery, with furniture, TVs, books, plants, and the usual things one finds in most homes.

I asked this same question earlier this year-

Damage during open house?

When my house is on the market, it is still my house until someone pays me for it, I still pay the water bill, the electric bill etc.

Would it be easier to sell empty? Maybe, but that is not always feasible or practical. Packing up the stuff that makes your home attractive? Maybe but why?

We interviewed 6 agents (agencies) and selected the one who understood our situation and our stuff. She held 1 open house, controlled the number of people in the house, had an assistant and made people wait outside.
When the open was over she wiped down the door knobs and most of the flat surfaces. Never expected that.

OP, select an agent who is sympathetic to your situation and needs.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 PM

41 posts, read 39,014 times
Interesting comments. Thanks for your practical, unjudgmental advice, MikeJaquish, especially about a possible discrimination complaint. I find it risible that some people feel free to enter someone else's home and let their children run unchecked, causing damage to someone else's property, yet feel it's "discrimination" if a homeowner doesn't want that to happen.

I don't understand what some of the comments, such as "collection is a brag" and "more isn't necessarily better" mean. I also doubt that most viewers, unless they dislike representational art, are going to forego a house because of a serene landscape painting or tastefully draped statue. "Glowering" and following potential buyers around, making them feel uncomfortable? Not our intent or style. I'm surprised what people assume we'll do.

My husband won't leave our home until it's sold. As mentioned in my initial post, all the smaller things are already packed and in storage. But we still need many of our furnishings with which to live, such as our bed. When our last house was shown, a young girl crawled up onto the bed and picked at the headboard until she succeeded in opening holes in the weave. Another girl left a smelly souvenir on our couch. One boy found out how fun it is to yank down drapes. Kids can't help being kids, but parents should act like responsible adults and curb their kids -- but they often don't. Thus my initial question.

MikeJaquish, you in particular have been a big help. Thank you!

Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 PM

41 posts, read 39,014 times
Thanks for your comments and link, jerseyj; they're a great help. No, no open house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate