Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Are you sure you want to spend the rest of your life in the Chicago suburbs?
I am considering these points. I really am. For several months, this was on hold and now I have to seriously think about the whole thing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 04:32 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am considering these points. I really am. For several months, this was on hold and now I have to seriously think about the whole thing again.
Is the rush now because you need to sell your current house to buy the other one and you are trying to time the market for the big spring rush, or because you have some specific knowledge that leads you to think that the sellers of your dream house are ready to lower their price?

Another option you may have, considering that your desire to live in the other house is likely not for the rest of your lives, is to find out if the sellers would consider renting out their house to you, and you in turn rent out yours or sell it.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:16 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times
We didn't waste much time. You have to get that feeling and just run with it. If you're not feeling the house and the location then do not.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Is the rush now because you need to sell your current house to buy the other one and you are trying to time the market for the big spring rush, or because you have some specific knowledge that leads you to think that the sellers of your dream house are ready to lower their price?

Another option you may have, considering that your desire to live in the other house is likely not for the rest of your lives, is to find out if the sellers would consider renting out their house to you, and you in turn rent out yours or sell it.
Not really in a rush. I was just waiting for some clarification on some financial things and now I have most of it. If they say no, I know I have done everything I can. I mean, we have been waiting since May already.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:23 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
well, this will probably work itself out. If your offer(s) are not accepted then that's that. If it is, you'll have to deal with his "woulda, shoulda, coulda" but you're probably used to that already.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We have never lived in an area at all before buying there, and have been quite happy with our decisions. In fact, now 25 years here after moving from another state after only one short week visiting the area.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:53 AM

7,356 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have never lived in an area at all before buying there, and have been quite happy with our decisions. In fact, now 25 years here after moving from another state after only one short week visiting the area.
We've done the same. Been here for a dozen years. The first difference is you and your spouse made the decision together - here, OP wants the house and her husband doesn't want to move. The second difference is their retirement in a decade.

We are thinking about retiring. We don't afford our property taxes during retirement. They are simply too high for a fixed income. It's kind of heartbreaking because I like our town and our kids are an hour away in NYC. Between NY and NJ property taxes, we'll probably leave the area altogether.

So after finding our dream house and getting it in shape, we are looking to leave. The real problem is our real estate market has fallen. We'll never get the price we paid. Also, we'll never recoup the expenses for fixing up the house. It's been a huge money pit. No doubt about it, purchasing this house has made planning for retirement harder.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
We've done the same. Been here for a dozen years. The first difference is you and your spouse made the decision together - here, OP wants the house and her husband doesn't want to move. The second difference is their retirement in a decade.

We are thinking about retiring. We don't afford our property taxes during retirement. They are simply too high for a fixed income. It's kind of heartbreaking because I like our town and our kids are an hour away in NYC. Between NY and NJ property taxes, we'll probably leave the area altogether.

So after finding our dream house and getting it in shape, we are looking to leave. The real problem is our real estate market has fallen. We'll never get the price we paid. Also, we'll never recoup the expenses for fixing up the house. It's been a huge money pit. No doubt about it, purchasing this house has made planning for retirement harder.
Yeah, my best friend just moved to NY and she said the property taxes are very high there.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:30 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
It depends on where I'm going.

I relocated from a small metro in Tennessee to Indianapolis five years ago. It took me three to six months to sort of get my bearings - figure out what parts of town are good/bad, where the amenities are, traffic patterns, where I'd fit in, etc.

That's not even counting questions like "is my job stable?" and "if I lose my current job, can I find another one without having to move? There are also tons of questions relating to your own personal finances beyond those, and questions about that particular real estate market.

It's a complicated decisions with many moving components.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:24 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times
Are you looking as an investment or to live in? If to live in, I feel the answer should be 15+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate