Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living next to or near a cemetery.
OK for the most part 99 72.79%
Kind of depressing 14 10.29%
Something else (explain in comments) 23 16.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

I've been casually researching condominiums, and I found that some of them are very close to cemeteries, like on the same block or within 1/4 of a mile. Maybe that's not true for most people, but I'm just not comfortable with that. It's, well... kind of depressing. I realize that no one lives forever, I just prefer not to be reminded about it whenever I leave home and again when I return. Or even worse, having it right in front of my eyes outside my window.

I suppose it's kind of different with historic cemeteries or inactive military cemeteries, where no new deceased are being buried. Which likens them to very serious museums, rather than burial sites. But functioning modern cemeteries don't always have the graceful aesthetics of historic ones, which dampens the depressing part. Or the stone walls, which mask the cemetery altogether, and give it sense of mystery without taking things into the paranormal territory.

I suppose the same can be said about venues like memorials for the Holocaust or POW MIA's. There's a Holocaust museum in Skokie, IL, and a high-rise glass-and-steel condominium went up nearby not too long ago. I may be Jewish, but I wouldn't feel comfortable living there, either, for obvious reasons. In fact, when I was in Yad VaShem Museum (a Holocaust memorial) in Jerusalem, the tour guide said to the group: "If this museum feels sad to you, it should. It's as close to a cemetery as these people will ever have." (Jewish religion places very high importance on having proper resting places for the deceased.)

How do others on City-Data feel? OK, depressing, or something else?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-09-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 10:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I love cemeteries.

I see them as hopeful places, a last monument of remembrance for a person who once lived here just as we all are doing right now.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:52 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Extremely bad Feng Shui, with the spirits flying around.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Living next to a cemetery is awesome! Having an open space next to you means you'll have plenty of air circulation and sunlight, plus it's great to have all that greenery next door. It's like living next to a park, except in some ways better because parks can be torn down and turned into noisy construction sites. Cemeteries usually avoid that. And they are so serene and quiet. I think that was the best part of all. You will hear plenty of songbirds, and no people partying or a noisy sports event (like you might hear in a park). You may also find you enjoy walking through it, pondering the lives of the people buried there. I found I became attached to a few markers over the years, and even came up with a few ideas of what the people were like and what things they might have seen in their lives.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
Grew up with a cemetery behind my parents house. No noise complaints. Never a problem. The ones that believe in the eerie, spooky, creepy stuff will see what they wanna see.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I make no bones about the fact I would not want to live next door to a cemetery... I can’t imagine barbecuing while they bury someone.. I guess I can call in a skeleton crew to cut my lawn

Old 02-09-2019, 11:07 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Grew up with a cemetery behind my parents house. No noise complaints. Never a problem. The ones that believe in the eerie, spooky, creepy stuff will see what they wanna see.
I'm one of the least spiritual people you'll ever meet, and an atheist to boot. I have no problems walking past a cemetery, even at night. After all, on average, the living are more dangerous than the deceased. But even so, I wouldn't feel comfortable living near one. I'd rather get my quietness from living next to a forest preserve or a river. With that said, cemeteries are a sign of a civilized society. I like the notion that the dead have a dignified, memorable place to be buried in, where their graves are watched over by cemetery workers and the local police, and visited by the descendants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I make no bones about the fact I would not want to live next door to a cemetery... I can’t imagine barbecuing while they bury someone.
That's pretty much why I don't feel comfortable living next to a cemetery, active or inactive. It almost feels like a cognitive dissonance to be having a day-drinking party when a funeral is happening less than 1000 feet away. In my case, it's a high-rise condominium, so at least I'm not on ground level where the funeral is. But still.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-09-2019 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 11:10 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
I'd far rather live next to a cemetery than right next to an apartment building or a parking lot. No noisy cars zooming in and waking up at in the middle of the night, not to mention the occasional crash or noisy drunk driver. No neighbors getting into a fight. No parties with loud music. If funerals depress you, at least they don't happen all that often and they don't last that long. And they don't take place at 2:00 a.m. That's a lot better than having some neighbors who party every weekend. Plus, you could always find out when one is scheduled and use that time to go shopping and avoid seeing it if you really find something like that depressing.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
The dead can’t hurt you. Watch out for the living. They’re the dangerous ones.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:40 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I see it as a positive. You would be next to a quiet, peaceful, well-maintained and usually beautiful piece of land that is guaranteed to stay that way.

Last edited by CarnivalGal; 02-09-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate