Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 05:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times

Advertisements

What insurers are you nice people working with that start asking about roof age? This has NEVER been asked when setting up homeowners' insurance. There was an inspection performed by someone Nationwide sent out, but the specific age of parts of the house never came into question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:15 PM

760 posts, read 768,070 times
Certainteed roofing has had a class-action lawsuit over their defective 3 tab organic shingles, I bought their 30 year shingles summer of 2002 and 2003 and installed my roof, by about year 6 it was clear the stuff was coming apart on the planes exposed the most to sun.

One photo attached shows how it looked in 2006, another shows it around 2012, I decided to google and discovered a big class-action suit, I joined the suit and had to submit photos and a full shingle. Soon after I rec'd a check for about $1,200

All of the roofing, including the rolls of Tamko ice guard I installed over the whole deck ran me around $900, so I essentially got a 120% refund.

A 30 year roof should not be showing DAMAGE at year 4, let alone losing all it's granules down to paper by year 9!!
Attached Thumbnails
Replace the roof? It's a 30 year roof!-screen-shot-65.jpg   Replace the roof? It's a 30 year roof!-screen-shot-67.jpg  

Old 08-30-2019, 08:03 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Here in Florida most shingle roofs are near the end of their useful life at 15 yrs even if a"25 year" roof. Because of hurricanes, most roofs that age here will not pass an inspection for insurance;, if no insurance, no loan unless you are paying cash. Don't know where this house is, but realtor is probably just giving opinion that roof may be an issue.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Repeating! Don't pressure wash asphalt roof. If you don't believe me, ask an inspector, or anyone who is actually in roofing. It will take literally half the life off a roof. If it's an old roof already, it will kill it.
Very true. There’s a product called Spray N Forget that can be applied with a garden sprayer. It kills the black algae and the rain gradually washes it off.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:04 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
What insurers are you nice people working with that start asking about roof age? This has NEVER been asked when setting up homeowners' insurance. There was an inspection performed by someone Nationwide sent out, but the specific age of parts of the house never came into question.

In our neighborhood we had two houses sold where the mortgage company insisted that the roof have at least half its life left and needed it documented (dates of installation, manufacturer and product number of the shingles) The owners knew the shingles were 30 year shingles that were right at 15 years. One was so close that the closing date put them 30 days past halfway since installation. Sellers replaced the roof in both cases just to get the sales done.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
In our neighborhood we had two houses sold where the mortgage company insisted that the roof have at least half its life left and needed it documented (dates of installation, manufacturer and product number of the shingles) The owners knew the shingles were 30 year shingles that were right at 15 years. One was so close that the closing date put them 30 days past halfway since installation. Sellers replaced the roof in both cases just to get the sales done.
Was any of the roof replacement reflected in the final price of the home?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:18 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Repeating! Don't pressure wash asphalt roof. If you don't believe me, ask an inspector, or anyone who is actually in roofing. It will take literally half the life off a roof. If it's an old roof already, it will kill it.
I didn't realize there were people that pressure washed asphalt shingle roofs - that would blow the granules right off how stupid.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Certainteed roofing has had a class-action lawsuit over their defective 3 tab organic shingles, I bought their 30 year shingles summer of 2002 and 2003 and installed my roof, by about year 6 it was clear the stuff was coming apart on the planes exposed the most to sun.

One photo attached shows how it looked in 2006, another shows it around 2012, I decided to google and discovered a big class-action suit, I joined the suit and had to submit photos and a full shingle. Soon after I rec'd a check for about $1,200

All of the roofing, including the rolls of Tamko ice guard I installed over the whole deck ran me around $900, so I essentially got a 120% refund.

A 30 year roof should not be showing DAMAGE at year 4, let alone losing all it's granules down to paper by year 9!!
I was just about to mention Certainteed and Pabco. They both had class action lawsuits and it sounds like the friends' roof is right in the area that tons of those roofs were installed. I'm betting the friend has those bad shingles.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:24 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I wouldn’t replace it as long as there are no visible issues. If I were shopping for a house that had 14 years left on the roof, I would be fine with that. In my experience, several 25 year roofs have lasted a lot longer than that.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:34 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Have a company co-worker who was commenting about selling his place. He was told (by the realtor) he needed to replace the roof. He found out it would be about $12,900. 16 years ago it was $4,800.

I asked him why replace the roof when it still had 14 good years or better left? He said he'd talk to the realtor as to why this was wanted, since I was right about the roof not needing replacement.

Have any here had that issue and results were?
Consumers often miscalculate roofs. Here are several legitimate reasons why your friends' roof needs to be replaced early.

1) It was a Pabco or Certainteed roofing shingle involved in the class action lawsuit.
2) It was installed by a cheap roofer using #2 shingles. These are roofing shingles that come off the manufacturing line in less than perfect condition. They generally last about 10 years and don't come with a manufacturer warranty. A roofer shared this tidbit of knowledge with me when I was staring at a striped roof with some lines of good shingles with lines of bad shingles.
3) The homeowner pressure washes their roof on a regular basis. This de-granularizes the roof and causes it to age early.
4) The homeowner uses Tide or some other detergent to treat moss on their roof. People degrease their composition roofs all the time and kill them quickly as a result. Composition shingles have tar, oil, and asphalt covering the fiberglass mat. Detergents degrease which is great for clothes and exactly what you don't want to do to your roof. I have seen many Tide damaged roofs over the years.

Since a roofer quoted the replacement that tells me they agree with the agent that it needs to be replaced. Your friend can always get other roofing opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate