Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 11:44 AM

35 posts, read 18,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
"Address" what?? A property owner not doing anything wrong? The OP doesn't like it because it "appears" like the trash belongs to his house. That isn't something actionable.
I am not saying the seller can 100% solve the issue, but they could have try.

There are many ways the seller can try to address this issue. What I meant is they could politely asked the neighbor to clean up the mess. They can offer to help get rid of the trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 11:48 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I've read that three times and I am still not sure what the situation is. The best I can figure is that the trash cans are on the driveway belonging to the neighbor. That OP's house also has a driveway, but it is on the other side of his (newly in the process of being purchased) house.

OP, my best advice for you is to not get territorial over property that does not belong to you. You don't get to control anything around you except for what actually belongs to you.

That's not your driveway, you don't get to control it.

You are going to give yourself a lot of stress unless you realize that you can't control everything for as far as you can see.

And, by the way, your own driveway where you put your own trash cans, be sure to put them as close to your own house as you possibly can.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Of course it is. Storing your trash bins against your neighbor's house instead of your own is rude.

Of course it is rude. I encounter rude behavior all the time, but I don't "address" it with other people. I focus on ensuring my behavior isn't rude. I am not the "polite" police.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:54 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
Trash cans are a pet peeve of mine. In our neighborhood, there are a lot of 3-car garages. The problem is that the owners park all of their cars in the driveway and have the garages filled with junk or those huge plastic toys. AND THEY PUT THEIR G*****N GARBAGE CANS IN THE DRIVEWAY IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE ! Nothing says Bubba more than the cans in front instead of inside the garage or around the corner. I'm talking about $600K and up houses.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:55 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I am not the polite police either, unless it directly affects me, in which case I will defend myself.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:21 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,745,017 times
OK, after reading the OP's post yet again, here is what I THINK the situation is. I think that the driveway between the two houses is JOINTLY owned by both property owners. Half of the driveway belongs to one owner and half belongs to the other owner. The problem is that the neighbor sits his trash containers on the half of the driveway that belongs to the property that the OP is buying. This makes it appear that the trash belongs to the house that the OP is buying instead of the neighbor's house.

If this is the situation and each neighbor owns one half of the driveway, then the OP would be within his rights to ask/demand the neighbor move his trash containers to the neighbor's side of the driveway.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:31 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I think instead of jointly, they probably just each own the driveway on one side or the other... i.e. each person's driveway is to the [right] of their home. But the guy on the [left] is the issue... on the side where our OP's driveway *isn't*.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:20 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think instead of jointly, they probably just each own the driveway on one side or the other... i.e. each person's driveway is to the [right] of their home. But the guy on the [left] is the issue... on the side where our OP's driveway *isn't*.
That's a very real possibility, and now that I think of it, I believe it's more likely that you are correct about the ownership situation than me. If that's the case, then the OP is just SOL. If that driveway belongs to the neighbor, then the OP has zero say about what the neighbor does with his own property. The OP's only option in that situation is to simply hope to persuade the neighbor to store the trash containers in a different location. Bribery is legal in this situation.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:12 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
IN ADDITION, we now have those hydraulic p/u trucks and the bins need to be in a very precise location, and an exact distance off the roadway for the hydraulic arm to work correctly. Just sayin, might be a reason. But I would never buy any place without chit chatting with neighbors.........within two miles. !!!

Old 04-04-2021, 04:58 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
IN ADDITION, we now have those hydraulic p/u trucks and the bins need to be in a very precise location, and an exact distance off the roadway for the hydraulic arm to work correctly. Just sayin, might be a reason. But I would never buy any place without chit chatting with neighbors.........within two miles. !!!
You wouldn't move without talking to every neighbor within 2 miles?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate