Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 05:36 PM

6,028 posts, read 3,745,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You wouldn't move without talking to every neighbor within 2 miles?
I think that Dwight might have been exaggerating just a tad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 05:39 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think that Dwight might have been exaggerating just a tad.
Yeah I think I took that one too literally. Lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-04-2021, 05:57 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Trash cans are a pet peeve of mine. In our neighborhood, there are a lot of 3-car garages. The problem is that the owners park all of their cars in the driveway and have the garages filled with junk or those huge plastic toys. AND THEY PUT THEIR G*****N GARBAGE CANS IN THE DRIVEWAY IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE ! Nothing says Bubba more than the cans in front instead of inside the garage or around the corner. I'm talking about $600K and up houses.
We are diligent about keeping our trash cans in our own locked backyard and moving them to the street only the night before pickup and then as soon as possible after they have been picked up, moving them back to the backyard again. Trash cans everywhere on streets is ugly.

I wish we had garbage pickup the way it used to be. In the good old days, trash cans were just moved out as far as the side of the garage (or were left there, hidden by foliage or a partial fence, all the time. On pickup day, the garbage collectors did all the work of moving the cans back and forth. The streets and yards looked so much nicer. It could be done with recyclables, too.

When did we all become "employees" of the sanitation department, doing most of the work, and why are we not on the payroll?

Old 04-04-2021, 08:33 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
My parents had sunken trash cans that the garbage men had to physically pull up 3 feet to ground level, then haul them to the truck. Yikes!

Most garbage is collected by fancy trucks now, so you have to put the can out yourself. It would be much more expensive to have the sanitation engineers pull your can to the street for you.
Most of us are willing to do a little work to save the money. You could hire someone to move your cans in and out if it's a big deal.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:05 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
IN ADDITION, we now have those hydraulic p/u trucks and the bins need to be in a very precise location, and an exact distance off the roadway for the hydraulic arm to work correctly. Just sayin, might be a reason. But I would never buy any place without chit chatting with neighbors.........within two miles. !!!
Not an exact distance at all, those arms extend over 10 feet and up to a 45 degree angle if I recall correctly. General guidance is to place on the curb, and have nothing near it a few feet.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:01 AM

10,099 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Not an exact distance at all, those arms extend over 10 feet and up to a 45 degree angle if I recall correctly. General guidance is to place on the curb, and have nothing near it a few feet.
We're old-fashioned here. Our trash and recycling trucks have actual can handlers whose job is empty them into the truck. In addition, they come up to the houses of elderly or disabled persons and remove their garbage and recycling and temporarily put the contents in their neighbors cans until the trucks come by.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:41 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Trash cans are a pet peeve of mine. In our neighborhood, there are a lot of 3-car garages. The problem is that the owners park all of their cars in the driveway and have the garages filled with junk or those huge plastic toys. AND THEY PUT THEIR G*****N GARBAGE CANS IN THE DRIVEWAY IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE ! Nothing says Bubba more than the cans in front instead of inside the garage or around the corner. I'm talking about $600K and up houses.
That’s insane that a neighborhood with 3 car garages would have owners so trashy (no pun intended). I won’t even put ours out when we go out of town for the weekend when there’s a Saturday holiday pickup and it means my cans will be out Friday to Sunday. I’d feel like a complete donkey leaving them out for more than 24 hours.

As for the OP, I too have no idea what they’re talking about with the driveway situation? I thought I just didn’t have enough coffee this morning until everyone else was like WTF?

Old 04-05-2021, 10:22 AM

867 posts, read 724,174 times
I understand what the OP is describing, or at least I think I do. I could be wrong!

Two houses are separated by a driveway wide enough for one car. There is little or no land between the driveway and the foundation of either house. The driveway belongs to the house on the left. The people who live on the house on the left are placing their garbage cans at the right edge of their driveway, which means the garbage cans are standing beside the house on the right. The OP is buying the house on the right.

Does that help? (Or, for that matter, is that correct, OP?)

Old 04-05-2021, 11:48 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
I've never heard of such strict "garbage etiquette", damn. Side of the house has always been fine everywhere I have lived. In my new town we have giant robocans. Most houses seem to leave them in the driveway or side of the house (mine is off to the side of the driveway).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-05-2021, 01:06 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I understand what the OP is describing, or at least I think I do. I could be wrong!

Two houses are separated by a driveway wide enough for one car. There is little or no land between the driveway and the foundation of either house. The driveway belongs to the house on the left. The people who live on the house on the left are placing their garbage cans at the right edge of their driveway, which means the garbage cans are standing beside the house on the right. The OP is buying the house on the right.

Does that help? (Or, for that matter, is that correct, OP?)

That's how I understood it as well. It seems like a very unique scenario.

My feeling is that the owner of the driveway has every legal right to put their trash cans anywhere they want to. If putting them up against the OP's building is still technically on their property, then there really isn't much the OP can do about it to force them.

Is it rude? Yes.

This is a scenario where a tactful approach might be better. Introduce yourself and get friendly. Strike up conversation a few times, and maybe on the 4th or 5th convo bring up the barrels. Maybe say "We like to open the windows and the smell is getting in the building. Do you mind moving them to a different location?"

If they say no, really not much you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate