Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 08:07 AM

119 posts, read 233,162 times

Advertisements

So I'm driving past the home I'll be closing on shortly and noticed something I hadn't picked up before. The neighboring building puts their trash and recycling bins against the property. The homes are close together and separated by a driveway big enough to allow a single car to get to the rear garage. This particular driveway belongs to their building, the home's driveway is on the other side where the seller keeps their trash bins. My issue is the bins being placed against the home when I feel they should be placed against that building. Now the trash and debris surrounding the bins look like they belong to the home I'm about to purchase and not that building.

I want to ask the seller of the house to talk to the neighbor's building owner to address the issue before I close. I don't want my first act as the new homeowner to be over a complaint I have. Am I wrong? I was also thinking about just moving the bins myself and not saying anything but I'm afraid they'll just move them back to my side. Have others had similar experiences where they can see there being an issue with the neighboring property? How did you resolve it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 08:11 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
You can always ask your sellers to do that courtesy but at this point you cannot require they do so.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:13 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
The only thing I can see that can you do is put a fence, not chain link but wooden, at the very edge of your property, which would run just the length of the driveway. That way it will be clear whose side the mess is on.

I don't think this is a bonafide issue that you can base your house closing on.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:32 AM

5,990 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
So I'm driving past the home I'll be closing on shortly and noticed something I hadn't picked up before. The neighboring building puts their trash and recycling bins against the property. The homes are close together and separated by a driveway big enough to allow a single car to get to the rear garage. This particular driveway belongs to their building, the home's driveway is on the other side where the seller keeps their trash bins. My issue is the bins being placed against the home when I feel they should be placed against that building. Now the trash and debris surrounding the bins look like they belong to the home I'm about to purchase and not that building.

I want to ask the seller of the house to talk to the neighbor's building owner to address the issue before I close. I don't want my first act as the new homeowner to be over a complaint I have. Am I wrong? I was also thinking about just moving the bins myself and not saying anything but I'm afraid they'll just move them back to my side. Have others had similar experiences where they can see there being an issue with the neighboring property? How did you resolve it?
I've read your entire post twice and still don't understand all this about whose building or whose home or whose driveway is being referred to, but I don't think that it makes any difference as far as the answer is concerned.

In a nutshell, you have no right to tell your neighbor where to keep his trash containers as long as they're on HIS property. If his containers are placed on YOUR property, then that's a different matter altogether. In this case, you would have the right to tell your neighbor to get his containers off your property.

So, as long is his trash containers are placed on his property, you have no say in the matter unless he is violating some city ordinance by doing so... in which case, you'd have to take the matter up with the city which may or may not result in a satisfactory solution.

Assuming the containers are placed on HIS property and that he is not violating some city ordinance or code in where they are placed, then your only reasonable solution in that case is to ask him nicely if he will consider moving them. But don't be surprised if the answer is "No". One other possibility is to offer to do some "favor" for him if he will move the trash containers to please you. He might be more inclined to do what you want if you can show him how it can benefit him in some other way.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:45 AM

5,990 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Oops. Double post. Sorry.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:51 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I'm not sure anyone is picturing what you're saying accurately. Perhaps a picture or a drawing would help us.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
If the bins aren’t on your property, you have no say where they go or don’t go. Asking the seller to tell the neighbor what to do with their bins is ridiculous.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:14 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
So you don't like where your neighbor puts his bins on his own property?

I think that there is a neighbor issue brewing, but it isn't the guy who is currently living there.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:17 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm not sure anyone is picturing what you're saying accurately. Perhaps a picture or a drawing would help us.
They are saying that the garage is in the back and they have to drive on the neighbors property to reach it. And the neighbor keeps the trash bins on this driveway. It seems very odd that a garage would be built where the property owner cannot access it from their property.

If it was me before closing I would knock on the door of the neighbor and feel out the situation. Perhaps they would be ok with the new owner moving the cans when they pull in or out of the garage. Or perhaps they would be fine in moving them. But if the cans are on their property they don't need to do anything. To me if I am buying a house and assume I can park my car in the garage but cannot. That is a big problem. Its really not a garage but a storage building.

What I do not understand is if there is a similar driveway on the other side of the house which will be the new owners property, the garage cannot be reached using it?

Old 04-04-2021, 10:30 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I'm picturing a small lot situation with either zero-lot lines or very close to it. The only space between the homes is a driveway/alley to the back.

And the neighbor is putting his trash cans on this driveway, but against your house, instead of his own.

Am I right? If so, I think, you're right to object.

This doesn't have to be a war... I would just move them, the first day, to their side of that driveway and see if it takes more of a message than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate