Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 07:37 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,126,240 times

Advertisements

I have never in my life eaten oatmeal (as in the cereal).

(I love oatmeal cookies though. Does that count?)

If I want to have my first bowl of oatmeal -- and after reading this thread, I do! -- what should it be?

Old 12-14-2019, 07:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,117,453 times
Most of the time I like it cooked thoroughly so it's soft but thick and lumpy ...... with butter, 18% cream and sugar gently stirred into it in swirls.

Sometimes I'll make it thin and creamy enough to drink it out of a cup without it needing to be spooned or chewed. I came up with that trick once when I'd had some oral surgery done and was restricted to liquid diet for awhile. I liked it so much that I still cook it that way sometimes as a "comfort" drink.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,117,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

If I want to have my first bowl of oatmeal -- and after reading this thread, I do! -- what should it be?

If I can make a suggestion for your very first time - if you've never eaten oatmeal porridge before and don't know yet how to cook it to a consistency that might most appeal to you, and don't know yet if you will actually like porridge - you might want to first try ordering it for breakfast in a hotel restaurant to see if you even like it. Hotel restaurants always make better quality and consistency of oatmeal porridge compared to the oatmeal you'd get served in a regular restaurant or cafe.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:12 PM

32,984 posts, read 36,499,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

You probably shouldn't go there. It's an acquired texture.

I still can't deal with grits.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:26 PM

43,336 posts, read 18,453,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If I can make a suggestion for your very first time - if you've never eaten oatmeal porridge before and don't know yet how to cook it to a consistency that might most appeal to you, and don't know yet if you will actually like porridge - you might want to first try ordering it for breakfast in a hotel restaurant to see if you even like it. Hotel restaurants always make better quality and consistency of oatmeal porridge compared to the oatmeal you'd get served in a regular restaurant or cafe.
I second Zoisite's comment about hotel oatmeal. Oatmeal in restaurants is a hit or miss.

I found a restaurant that consistently makes excellent grits..the right texture and right consistency. I just might try their oatmeal cause if they can cook grits right they might also know how to cook oatmeal right.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:11 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,612,400 times
I grind it fresh, just before cooking, from wholegrain oats, in my Corona hand grinder. I like it to be thick in texture. I add a handful of raisins before cooking and I've recently developed another addition. I put an ounce of raw almonds in the grinder, setting it a bit tighter than I do for the oats. This adds some good flavor and nutrition. I serve it with a lot of plain, nonfat yogurt mixed in, instead of milk. That also improves the flavor.

For several years, I added dried cranberries instead of raisins. But then I found that they can be a blood-thinner by inhibiting the production of platelets for the blood. That's not something I want to happen. Those who take blood-thinner medications may not want to eat anything that has that same effect, as it might cause too much of it. Herbs in the mint family, such as sage, oregano, basil, thyme and others, also inhibit platelet formation.

There is another good reason for adding a dairy product to the oatmeal, besides just improving the flavor or texture. The milk protein has an abundance of the amino acid lysine, which offsets the lower level of that in the oats, giving a better protein balance. Unfortunately, almonds are also a bit low in lysine, but have good omega 3 fats.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 12-14-2019 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 09:17 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
More soupy, blueberries, peanut butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, and almond milk, although I've used cow's milk, too. But almond milk goes good in oatmeal.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:19 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
Thicker with loads of salted butter.

But these days, thicker with loads of organic coconut salted butter substitute.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:39 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,899,627 times
Oatmeal with raisins,lots of raisins, cream and a splash of maple syrup.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:03 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,773,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Oatmeal with raisins,lots of raisins, cream and a splash of maple syrup.
mmmmmmm, that sounds good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes