Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:57 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
And I quoted her exactly. We'll have to agree to disagree. I did read by the way and I have a firm grasp on reading comprehension. Thanks for the English lesson!
Here is the thread title: One Dish Pot Luck that my Pastor's wife can eat...

Here is paragraph three: I'd like to see her enjoy herself a bit more. She is already skipping the women's club Christmas dinner because the selected restaurant does not have much she can eat.

I don't see how it could be any clearer that Sheena is talking about two discrete events: one, a pot luck supper; the other, the women's club Christmas dinner at the selected restaurant. "Already" indicates a separate, previous event. And what restaurant hosts potluck dinners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 01:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Here is the thread title: One Dish Pot Luck that my Pastor's wife can eat...

Here is paragraph three: I'd like to see her enjoy herself a bit more. She is already skipping the women's club Christmas dinner because the selected restaurant does not have much she can eat.

I don't see how it could be any clearer that Sheena is talking about two discrete events: one, a pot luck supper; the other, the women's club Christmas dinner at the selected restaurant. "Already" indicates a separate, previous event. And what restaurant hosts potluck dinners?
Find a new hobby....this has already been covered ad nauseam. I already said we'll have to agree to disagree. What more do you want? No need for bold...not blind...just don't agree.

I've been to restaurants that have private rooms where you CAN bring in food. They rent the room out. Catering is completely separate. Maybe you should get out more.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:24 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,737 times
My husband has Celiac disease. He was diagnosed 10 years ago. Our daughter is vegetarian now, but was vegan in the past. My mother (bless her soul) was diabetic. How would you like to cook holiday meals for MY family???? I'm glad we have a son in law now, so there's at least ONE normal eater other than me!!!
Kidding all. No persecuting necessary, we joke a lot in our family. My husband likes to tell what we're having to eat, and then say our daughter will just be nawing on the wicker furniture.
It's not that difficult. Our traditional meatballs recipe? Made with gluten free corn chex instead of corn flakes. Our daughter, who always loved them, will try a taste and hope it doesn't upset her stomach.
Sweet and spicy nuts? Made with margarine instead of butter. Rum cake? Start with gluten free yellow cake mix. It's not impossible. It's not even that hard. Our daughter makes a fabulous scalloped sweet potato casserole with no gluten that is vegetarian. She didn't tell anyone at the family Christmas it was vegan, and was very amused at her uncle, who is a dairy and hog farmer, coming back for seconds.
A lot of people were recommending Asian food. Be aware that soy sauce is not usually gluten free, read the label.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
My husband has Celiac disease. He was diagnosed 10 years ago. Our daughter is vegetarian now, but was vegan in the past. My mother (bless her soul) was diabetic. How would you like to cook holiday meals for MY family???? I'm glad we have a son in law now, so there's at least ONE normal eater other than me!!!
Kidding all. No persecuting necessary, we joke a lot in our family. My husband likes to tell what we're having to eat, and then say our daughter will just be nawing on the wicker furniture.
It's not that difficult. Our traditional meatballs recipe? Made with gluten free corn chex instead of corn flakes. Our daughter, who always loved them, will try a taste and hope it doesn't upset her stomach.
Sweet and spicy nuts? Made with margarine instead of butter. Rum cake? Start with gluten free yellow cake mix. It's not impossible. It's not even that hard. Our daughter makes a fabulous scalloped sweet potato casserole with no gluten that is vegetarian. She didn't tell anyone at the family Christmas it was vegan, and was very amused at her uncle, who is a dairy and hog farmer, coming back for seconds.
A lot of people were recommending Asian food. Be aware that soy sauce is not usually gluten free, read the label.
Tamari sauce -looks just like soy sauce and to me, tastes pretty similar, although honestly in many good Asian recipes, by the time you are done the soy sauce/ equivalent is the least of what you will be tasting..
is usually gluten free-

Just buy a brand that says "gluten free" on it to be on the safe side-

I do like tamari better, flavor wise-

here is the difference between the two-

https://www.thekitchn.com/the-differ...ligence-174139

Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My pastor's wife is both gluten intolerant AND vegetarian. She occasionally eats fish.

Usually, at such events, she is restricted to eating whatever she herself brought.
She's a very sweet tiny woman, perhaps 10lbs underweight. I always feel sorry for her at such events because while everyone else is sampling everyone's food, she is restricted to her own. Or sometimes green salad or fruit.

I'd like to see her enjoy herself a bit more. She is already skipping the women's club Christmas dinner because the selected restaurant does not have much she can eat.

I'm thinking of something made in a slow cooker, perhaps Thai or Indian, with coconut milk.

Apparently, not all cheeses are G-free,which is news to me, so I am a little nervous about using cheese.

Thanks ahead of time!
I'd keep it as plain as possible so as not to put her off, cant go wrong with a big pot of vegetable soup.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Lacto-ovo vegetarian? Does that mean you eat dairy and eggs or that you don't? Why would being allergic to wheat cause you stop being a lacto-ovo vegetarian? I mean I can see that it means giving up bread, baked goods, crackers, anything that contains wheat.
It just got to be such a minefield trying to avoid gluten (things like taco seasoning actually contain wheat, so do most ranch dressings) that there was little I could eat. I just could not juggle both.

Lacto-ovo means I eat eggs and dairy but nothing with a face.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:28 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Wow, I wish I was underweight, I should be with how many restrictions I have in my diet. But the thing is, I can choose to be ‘picky’ about my food, or I can lose my colon and wear a bag for the rest of my life. I’ll stick with my ‘eating disorder’ thanks!
No ones saying you don’t have medical concerns. No one is saying you have an eating disorder. I’ll even take OP’s word that her friend doesn’t have an eating disorder. It was perhaps mean of us to jump to conclusions. But when you combine one dietary choice (vegetarian) with another restriction that’s become very much in vogue, a feature of recent fad diets and often self-diagnosed (and I certainly do acknowledge the burden it must be to deal with celiac disease), combined with being underweight...if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That is because beer does contain gluten. Beer is made from barley, which contains gluten. Wheat beer is made with wheat which contains gluten.

Of course she can eat tacos. Tacos are made with corn tortillas which do not contain gluten...as long as she checks that the meat in the taco wasn't thickened with flour, which it most often isnt. The rest of the taco, lettuce, tomato salsa is gluten free.
Flour tortillas...she also refused a baked potato since it had gluten, but will eat breaded fried chicken...her easy target is anything leavened...like it’s Seder for her, except she’s Southern Baptist. My point is that an easy 20% of so-called “gluten intolerants” don’t even know what gluten is.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiP View Post
............. The current fad needs to die down so those that actually are suffering aren't met with such suspicion.
Actually, the gluten free fad is great! When I was first diagnosed, there was nothing gluten free to buy. Everything had to be made from scratch. There was a gluten free forum with people sitting around wondering what they could eat. I had to develop a flour recipe because there was no gluten free flour sold commercially.

The first commercially made gluten free foods were ghastly awful.

Now I can buy all sorts od food labeled gluten free. Some of it is still pretty awful, but some of it is quite tasty. Now, restaurants have gluten free items on the menu. Several grocery store chains have a gluten free section.

Don't stop. I don't want to go back to the dark ages of gluten free cuisine, when there was nothing to buy and I couldn't go to a restaurant.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It just got to be such a minefield trying to avoid gluten (things like taco seasoning actually contain wheat, so do most ranch dressings) that there was little I could eat. I just could not juggle both.

Lacto-ovo means I eat eggs and dairy but nothing with a face.
Taco seasoning and ranch dressing contain wheat? Who ever would have imagined?! That seems so crazy.

Many years ago I worked at a restaurant and a woman called asking what we served that we gluten free. I had no idea what gluten was in. No one in the kitchen knew what she was even talking about. I ended up telling her that we couldn't give away the recipe and the kitchen wasn't sure what would be gluten free. She was really angry, but I didn't want to tell her something was gluten free and then it not be after she got there. She got a little crazy and started telling me that she could die if she ate gluten so I said she should call back when the owner was there and maybe he could give her better answers. She didn't like that either.

I can definitely see now saying we don't know what's gluten free was the best thing I could do! If taco seasoning and soy sauce contain wheat, who the heck knows what else has it. Seems like it's in everything!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Flour tortillas...she also refused a baked potato since it had gluten, but will eat breaded fried chicken...her easy target is anything leavened...like it’s Seder for her, except she’s Southern Baptist. My point is that an easy 20% of so-called “gluten intolerants” don’t even know what gluten is.
Baked potato contains gluten? I guess it could if you pile crap on it! but fried chicken doesn't contain gluten? What is she smoking? Gluten?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes