Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "food plan", but it certain cases, I would be damned insulted if I invited someone over to my home for dinner and they brought their own food. (Note: I ALWAYS ask first time guests about any food allergies or restrictions. If they are invited again, I ask again if I don't remember. If I'm thinking of serving something that many people dislike, like lamb, salmon, duck, I query them before taking it out of my freezer.)

"Food plan" people that would **** me off if they brought their own food: low carb, weight watchers, vegetarian (I ask, they tell me, we discuss, I adjust), Jenny Craig, nutrisystem. Exceptions exist - we have several good friend who is mostly vegetarian and when we have a group of people over for burgers or steak, she brings her own black bean burgers so that I don't have to purchase an entire box of those things. Sometimes I make something special just for them because I want to.

Others can pick and choose what they eat. The low carb or other dieter can skip desert, bread and the potatoes. They can eat small portions. Nearly always, I put the sauce or gravy on the side. Any of that is just fine by me, and we often do the same. Gluten "intolerant" I try to adjust as best I can, but I'm not getting obsessed by it.

TRUE celiac disease or vegan? We're going out to dinner. I don't want the responsibility or bother. And they don't become close friends.
Many people aren't like this though. Many aren't accommodating. Many people also really have no idea what's in what....like gluten in salad dressing! Crazy!

I am a VERY picky eater and always bring a dish with me when I attend events....it's a dish to share, but it's so I know that there will be something for me to eat! Before I started making a dish to bring, I'd been to many gatherings where there was nothing I would or could eat.

I don't EVER eat anything with mayo in it at any kind of gathering. I've had food poisoning more times than I care to remember. Many people don't realize that mayo has to be kept refrigerator cold not sitting out for an hour....YIKES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Probably just wheat flour. It's been used for centuries to thicken almost anything -- soup, gravy, etc. Why not salad dressing as well?
Just seems weird! Very unexpected.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:53 AM

22,175 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wow! I would have never guessed that. We're all eating gluten like there's no tomorrow and don't even know it. I wonder what other things we're eating and don't even know it.

Do you know what the ingredients are that they use for thickening agents that contain gluten?
yup. that's why often people prefer to bring or prepare their own food.
hidden dairy in lots of stuff, for instance, instant ramen.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Really? Dairy in Ramen? I thought that was just salt, tiny bit of spice and flavoring, along with horrible noodles. I don't eat them. Now I'll have to look at the ingredients when I go grocery shopping next time. I'm curious what the dairy is!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:02 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Actually, the gluten free fad is great! When I was first diagnosed, there was nothing gluten free to buy. Everything had to be made from scratch. There was a gluten free forum with people sitting around wondering what they could eat. I had to develop a flour recipe because there was no gluten free flour sold commercially.

The first commercially made gluten free foods were ghastly awful.

Now I can buy all sorts od food labeled gluten free. Some of it is still pretty awful, but some of it is quite tasty. Now, restaurants have gluten free items on the menu. Several grocery store chains have a gluten free section.

Don't stop. I don't want to go back to the dark ages of gluten free cuisine, when there was nothing to buy and I couldn't go to a restaurant.
EXACTLY!!! When my husband was diagnosed in 2007, there was nothing out there! Luckily I had done Adkins before, so I could cook without carbs anyway. It was actually more lenient that Adkins, he can eat potatoes and rice. But now some of the pastas and breads are pretty good.
And the number of restaurants that can accommodate is great!

Old 12-07-2017, 05:42 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
I am a VERY picky eater and always bring a dish with me when I attend events....it's a dish to share, but it's so I know that there will be something for me to eat! Before I started making a dish to bring, I'd been to many gatherings where there was nothing I would or could eat.
I had a job that hosted a lot of gatherings for VIPS. They got more and more extravagant as time went on and the food got weirder and weirder. Once I walked around picking out cubes of cheese that looked plain and that's about all I could find to eat that I liked. Oh wait, there were grapes too. But not many. It was one of those things where 3 grapes would be a serving. In the past there had been full buffet dinners where I could always find stuff I liked, so the new formats were quite the disappointment. Needless to say I'd get home at 8pm exhausted and starving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Don't forget there is sugar in just about everything too!

Old 12-07-2017, 05:52 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
My husband has Celiac disease. He was diagnosed 10 years ago. Our daughter is vegetarian now, but was vegan in the past. My mother (bless her soul) was diabetic. How would you like to cook holiday meals for MY family???? I'm glad we have a son in law now, so there's at least ONE normal eater other than me!!!
Kidding all. No persecuting necessary, we joke a lot in our family. My husband likes to tell what we're having to eat, and then say our daughter will just be nawing on the wicker furniture.
It's not that difficult. Our traditional meatballs recipe? Made with gluten free corn chex instead of corn flakes. Our daughter, who always loved them, will try a taste and hope it doesn't upset her stomach.
Sweet and spicy nuts? Made with margarine instead of butter. Rum cake? Start with gluten free yellow cake mix. It's not impossible. It's not even that hard. Our daughter makes a fabulous scalloped sweet potato casserole with no gluten that is vegetarian. She didn't tell anyone at the family Christmas it was vegan, and was very amused at her uncle, who is a dairy and hog farmer, coming back for seconds.
A lot of people were recommending Asian food. Be aware that soy sauce is not usually gluten free, read the label.
Exactly! We do what we need to do for for the people we love.

That scalloped sweet potato casserole sounds really good! Do you have a recipe or a link to one?

Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why not ask her what she would like & even a copy of her recipe?
Look up thread. She will tell me not to go any trouble. But,it isn't any trouble. I was just asking for ides.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I had a job that hosted a lot of gatherings for VIPS. They got more and more extravagant as time went on and the food got weirder and weirder. Once I walked around picking out cubes of cheese that looked plain and that's about all I could find to eat that I liked. Oh wait, there were grapes too. But not many. It was one of those things where 3 grapes would be a serving. In the past there had been full buffet dinners where I could always find stuff I liked, so the new formats were quite the disappointment. Needless to say I'd get home at 8pm exhausted and starving.

Don't forget there is sugar in just about everything too!
I remember going to the company Christmas dinner at my husband's employer years ago and dreading it. It was the same food every. single. year. The only thing I would/could eat were the chicken tender appetizers. My husband used to grab a plate of them for me! They didn't even serve salad on the buffet!

TONS of seafood - no thanks! Stuffed mushrooms by the tray full.....stuffed with seafood! The company owner thought they were they greatest thing ever. He used to walk around with a waiter and try to get everyone to eat them. I started saying I was allergic to seafood because he wouldn't let it go. I just don't like seafood at all.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
I remember going to the company Christmas dinner at my husband's employer years ago and dreading it. It was the same food every. single. year. The only thing I would/could eat were the chicken tender appetizers. My husband used to grab a plate of them for me! They didn't even serve salad on the buffet!

TONS of seafood - no thanks! Stuffed mushrooms by the tray full.....stuffed with seafood! The company owner thought they were they greatest thing ever. He used to walk around with a waiter and try to get everyone to eat them. I started saying I was allergic to seafood because he wouldn't let it go. I just don't like seafood at all.
I love shrimp and would have filled up on that! It's a rare treat for me. But no thanks on the mushrooms lol. Yeah, I hate when people insist you try something, sheesh when I say thanks, I'm all set, I mean it. I may hate it, I may be full, I may need to keep it out of my diet for that time, it doesn't matter. Thanks, I'm all set.

I couldn't even tell you what some of the food was at the last event I went to - I couldn't figure most of it out. I call it froufrou food - all fluff and no substance. I'm really a meat and potatoes kind of gal. Hard for me to figure out what to do with the fancy stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes