Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 05:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I have posted on this topic because there are so many replies, too many to weed through but I do know the dressing I got is from a dear friend who is no longer with us; Whenever I make potato salad I think of her. We were neighbors and then good friends for over 50 years. She used an equal amount of sour cream and mayo. I do add a bit of mustard just to keep spoiled brat happy.

In the salad along with potatoes are hard cooked eggs, celery, green onions and dill pickles. Also a bit of seasoning salt and pepper. We like to let it sit for a few hours for the flavor to mix well. I want the potatoes soft enough for the dressing to stick but not soft like almost mashed like some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Well bless your heart.

We all have our own favorite potato salad recipes; that's just the way it is.

BTW - for me, green peppers in a potato salad is "weird stuff," and pickles just naturally belong in a potato salad.
totally agree with you; there are as many ways to make potato salad as there are potatoes. Same with cold slaw. We always have pickles in ours:mom and mom in law used sweet, we always use dill and I have never thought of bell peppers but to each his/her own. Oh, I have to take that back: the other night I did use bell peppers: long story, after 3 trips to the store I still forgot the celery so I decided to use bell peppers; probably not again. Also for us it has to be mayo, but growing up both mom and mom in law used M.Whip.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:42 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
along with your preferred ingredients, try chopped dill pickles and some chopped carrots (lightly cooked to firm, not mushy)

Old 05-14-2017, 03:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
She used an equal amount of sour cream and mayo.
If I make potato salad with mayo, I also use an equal amount of sour cream. Plus S&P and chopped fresh herbs, including dill, basil, parsley, tarragon, and scallions. I only make this when I can make a large enough batch to use up all the herbs. A small batch only gets dill. A large batch gets everything. I use red potatoes, unpeeled, and cook them in heavily salted water.

I usually make potato salad with a vinaigrette that includes Dijon, garlic, vinegar, EVOO, thyme, and S&P. You can mash up an anchovy in the dressing if you like. No one will know, and it adds a little bit of saltiness. Red or gold potatoes, unpeeled.

I always dress the potatoes as soon as they are done cooking. I usually cut them before cooking, so I don't have to cut hot potatoes.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If I make potato salad with mayo, I also use an equal amount of sour cream. Plus S&P and chopped fresh herbs, including dill, basil, parsley, tarragon, and scallions. I only make this when I can make a large enough batch to use up all the herbs. A small batch only gets dill. A large batch gets everything. I use red potatoes, unpeeled, and cook them in heavily salted water.

I usually make potato salad with a vinaigrette that includes Dijon, garlic, vinegar, EVOO, thyme, and S&P. You can mash up an anchovy in the dressing if you like. No one will know, and it adds a little bit of saltiness. Red or gold potatoes, unpeeled.

I always dress the potatoes as soon as they are done cooking. I usually cut them before cooking, so I don't have to cut hot potatoes.
I too cut them before cooking or maybe as soon as they start to cool. My mom always let them cool completely or if cut hot, I could hear her a mile away saying words I will leave to your imagination: ones a lady didn't say 60 plus years ago.

as for mayo versus EVOO, and vinegar, I do it that way once in awhile like I do my cold slaw that way for a change and to save calories and fat.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:20 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,908,253 times
Classic Potato Salad

Choice of, and amount of each ingredient is dependent one's personal preference:

Russet potatoes, boiled in their skins. Boil eggs. Cool both in refrigerator overnight.

Peel potatoes, dice into small pieces, put into large bowl.

Dice white or yellow onion, celery, sweet pickles; put into bowl with potatoes.

In another bowl, mix mayonnaise, prepared mustard, pickle juice from jar, garlic powder, salt and white pepper.

Peel eggs, discard shells, mince eggs with knife; add to mayonnaise bowl. Add minced parsley leaves.

Mix all ingredients into one bowl. Adjust seasoning. Put salad in refrigerator for at least four hours.

Serve cold.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
...discard shells...
Ahhhhh... there's the real secret.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Ha ha!! You start dissin' someone's Potato salad, Deviled eggs, or BBQ sauce, and the fur will start to fly. The plain truth is we all have our preferences, and to try to force them on someone else is fruitless. I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy with potato salad prepared by anyone in the Food forum.

Now, what brand of mayo is best for potato salad?
For myself it just better be reduced fat. Not a choice anymore. I might just choose a Smart Balance reduced fat mayo. None that will make me seasick are a good choice for me and those like me. We didn't ask for this state but it is a fact of life.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:47 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
When I was a child my aunt was making potato salad from a recipe that supposedly came from a noted country club. Besides emphasizing FRESHNESS, it called for large amounts of both celery and celery seed.To this day, thats how I make it.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:43 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Default Potato Salad recipe

I need to bring something to a group meal this evening. I boiled up 3lbs of potatoes and now its time to create the potato salad.

I have relish, pickles, apples, cashews, mustard, mayo, many kinds of vinegars, onions, dried cranberries, carrots, and eggs in the house.

Which ingrediants would you use? If necessary, I can run to the grocery store; just hoping to avoid doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes