Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times

Advertisements

This is the big potato salad thread. Be sure to use dill pickle and no sugar...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
My mom's potato salad
3 lbs potatoes- ukon gold or red skinned
1 cup sour cream
1 cup hellman's mayo
1 tsp salt- can add more if needed
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp onion powder- can add more if needed

Wash and peel potatoes, cut into bute sized chunks- not too small, not too big- about the size of a ping pong ball.

place potatoes in cold salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Drain and place in a very big bowl. Add the next 5 ingredients and mix well. can be served right away or left in the fridge for an hour and served cold. I prefer it cold. I have also added a little fresh dill to this as well.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM

682 posts, read 2,423,850 times
This is how my mom makes potato salad (to rave reviews). I joke that coming from Idaho, they don't let you out of the state without learning to make a decent potato salad.

4-5 medium russet potatoes -- peel, cut into ~6 pieces, boil until just done, then cube when cooled
One bunch of radishes, halved & sliced (5-6 radishes)
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped/sliced
2-3 hard boiled eggs, halved & sliced
1/4 - 1/3 cup chopped dill pickles

Sauce: (sorry for the loosey-goosie measurements)
2 parts mayo and 1 part Miracle Whip, thinned with a few tablespoons of milk -- whatever you need to cover and coat the above ingredients, or to desired consistency. She also adds a little bit of sugar to take the edge off of the Miracle Whip.
Then add a few tablespoons of dill-pickle juice, to give it "zing" along with
2-3 tablespoons mustard (like Gulden's)
2-3 teaspoons of horseradish, and 1 teaspoon of Frank's hot sauce
*The horseradish, hot sauce, and pickle juice give zip without making it hot

Mix all of your vegetables and eggs together in a large bowl, and slowly add the mayonnaise mixture, and add season salt as you go. It may work best if you do it in layers -- vegetables, mayo, salt, etc. Mix together well, season as needed and refrigerate.

Feel free to play around with the ratios until you get the taste you like. My grandmother doesn't use as much pickle juice or horseradish (which tastes bland too me), but many people like that flavor too.

Last edited by figmalt; 06-26-2012 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: forgot ingredient

Old 07-07-2012, 01:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I like lots of pickle relish in my potato salad and lots of celery and some Vidalia onion. I always pour pickle juice over warm potatoes for lots of flavor.
Olives in potato salad would be a real off to me. Also I like to liberally sprinkle paprika on the top before serving for color and a bit of flavor.

Also read somewhere recently best potato for boiling in water which won't break apart too much but I can't remember which one.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Recently saw a Cooks Country where they talked about how potatoes absorb too much water when you boil them and they cut potatoes in quarters and steamed them in veggie steamer. I think they were talking about making good mashed potatoes.

So I steamed some potatoes the same way for potato salad and it turned out great. My steamer basket did not have long legs so I wadded up tin foil to put under each leg so the potatoes did not sit in water.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I always make mine very simple. Potaotes, hard boiled eggs, celery, salt, pepper, and a little onion, mixed with a splash of rice vinegar and Kraft mayonnaise. If I'm feeling very daring, I might put in a teas. of Dijon mustard and a pinch of dill.
There is something about the combination of rice vinegar and Kraft mayo that seems to me to be the perfect potato salad flavor.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM

wondering if olive in potato salad is more of a northern thing and pickle relish more of a southern thing? never even heard of olives in potato salad. Actually I don't recall seeing too many olives in anything my southern mother ever fixed. Nobody in my family likes olives but we are a pickle crazy bunch. And it has to be Mt. Olive pickles made right here in N.C.

funny story. After WWII my Army officer Dad and my mother were moving back to Oklahoma from North Carolina where she lived while he was off to war. She went to the store to buy a case of Mt. Olive pickles to take with her. Daddy was furious saying "Good God woman, they have pickles in Oklahoma you know". To which she replied "But they don't have Mt. Olive pickles and I won't eat just any pickle." I wasn't even born them but that story was told a million times over the years. Every holiday or special dinner has a pretty dish of Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkins and I guess my own children will keep up the tradition.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,034 times
Default Your favourite potato salad recipes?

I just wondered whether people might like to share their favourite potato salad recipes. It is summer here in Australia and I love potato salad so I thought I might ask people on here for their recipes

NB: I just realised I should have posted this in "Recipes".

Last edited by susankate; 01-27-2014 at 12:53 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 01:20 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
The ingredients in my favorite potato salad - red potatoes, Vidalia onions, dill relish, Miracle Whip, hard-boiled eggs, yellow mustard, bit of salt. Let it sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors meld.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:29 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The ingredients in my favorite potato salad - red potatoes, Vidalia onions, dill relish, Miracle Whip, hard-boiled eggs, yellow mustard, bit of salt. Let it sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors meld.
mmm - sounds nice. I had to look up Vidalia onions and it looks like we can't get them our here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes