Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times

Advertisements

No eggs in my potato salad. I save those for egg salad.

I use ONLY Classen dill pickles and throw in a dabble of horseradish. Other than that, not much. Potatoes, Hellman's mayo, onions. That's about it! It's the horseradish that seals the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Try adding olives. So good. If you can find the ones stuffed with Jalepenos, even better.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No eggs in my potato salad. I save those for egg salad.

I use ONLY Classen dill pickles and throw in a dabble of horseradish. Other than that, not much. Potatoes, Hellman's mayo, onions. That's about it! It's the horseradish that seals the deal.
Oh, and I forgot. Little chunks/slivers of celery if I have it. If not, Celery Seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Try adding olives. So good. If you can find the ones stuffed with Jalepenos, even better.
Black olives sounds like a nice addition. I wouldn't do green or pimentos since I'm not fond of either. I'll definitely try black next time, though, and it will add a flash of color.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
I'm seeing some great new add-ins that I'd never have thought of (dill pickles, next batch will have diced dill pickles, for sure!). Here's one thing that I do that I haven't seen on this thread: mash the yolks of the boiled eggs, and add it to the mayonnaise/mustard mixture. I also add equal amounts of sugar and vinegar (start with 1 tsp. of each to see if you like it). It just adds a bit of extra zip to the dressing. I also mix the dressing completely with all of the spices/add-ins before mixing it into the potato/egg/onion mixture. Oh, something else that was a BIG hit with the kids: instead of onion, I sometimes make a small batch with diced apples. Still gives a nice crunch, slightly sweet and more kid friendly

Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Instead of pimentos, I'll add roasted red peppers. I like the splash of color. And I add the mayo to the potatoes when they are still hot. This way it soaks in. Lots of crushed black pepper!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I'm seeing some great new add-ins that I'd never have thought of (dill pickles, next batch will have diced dill pickles, for sure!). Here's one thing that I do that I haven't seen on this thread: mash the yolks of the boiled eggs, and add it to the mayonnaise/mustard mixture. I also add equal amounts of sugar and vinegar (start with 1 tsp. of each to see if you like it). It just adds a bit of extra zip to the dressing. I also mix the dressing completely with all of the spices/add-ins before mixing it into the potato/egg/onion mixture. Oh, something else that was a BIG hit with the kids: instead of onion, I sometimes make a small batch with diced apples. Still gives a nice crunch, slightly sweet and more kid friendly
That is how I make my potato salad. But I mash the whole boiled egg and prepare that mixture with Duke's mayo/mustard/vinegar/sugar along with sweet pickle relish, pimentos and Vidalia onion. I drain the cooked potatoes and add the mixture immediately to the hot potatoes.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
I use Ina Garten's recipe, with alterations depending on what I have on hand. Mayo, Dijon & whole grain mustards, thinned with a little buttermilk (I make this dressing ahead of time so it can meld). I usually use fingerling potatoes (the skins slip off easily after boiling) and put them in the dressing while still hot so they drink it up . Sometimes I use green onions instead of red onions, or shallots if I have some I need to use. Lots of fresh dill & fresh parsley, celery. I sometimes throw in some chopped black olives.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Funny that you're from Australia because that's where my favorite recipe came from. My friends mother made it while we were visiting. She put carrots, peas, onion, and eggs. I use miracle whip, a little Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt. I should make some to remind myself of summer. It's below zero today.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I always use Kraft Mayonnaise and rice vinegar (a splash), but you probably can't Kraft Mayonnaise? There is something about this combination that really works. Also, finely chopped onion, chopped eggs, celery, salt and pepper, and celery salt or Beau Monde. I usually throw in a few fresh herbs from the garden, like chives or dill or parsley. Or course, I never met a potato salad I didn't like, and I sometime change it up, but this basic one is our favorite.

What would be a typical potato salad recipe in Australia?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,333 times
My toe salad is pretty simple. Skin the toes and boil em...chill em and add chopped red onions, celery, S/P and some vinegar..

We sometimes substitute the vinegar for mayo, and like only a tablespoon of mayo..

I prefer the Vinegar Toe salad myself..not a big fan of Mayo..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes