Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times

Advertisements

3 Pkgs of pepperidge farm cubed herb seasoned stuffing mix
1 onion chopped
1 celery stalk chopped
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
2-3 small cans college inn chicken broth
1 stick of butter
1 can sliced button mushrooms chopped.
1 pkg of frozen breakfast sausage thawed (we use Jones but you can use Jimmy dean or another brand you like)

Saute celery and onions in butter until soft and tender. Put into a small bowl for later. Saute and chop up the sausage roll until browned and fully cooked. Reserve this mixture as well. Heat broth until luke warm, add to bread mixture and toss. Add celery and onion mixture and sausage to bread mixture, add poultry seasoning. Mix all together until well blended and moist. The stuffing should not be dry, if it is add a little more broth. My mom also add some additional onion powder as well about 1 Tbsp. You can stuff your turkey with it or bake it seperately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:22 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
That is a terrific stuffing recipe - it has grease, chicken broth, vegetables and herbs. You really can't ask for much more. Nearly everyone that I know starts with Pepperidge Farm.

Mom's stuffing was a pretty simple herbed bread stuffing, no mushrooms or sausage. She did add an egg to the mix. Since she started with plain bread, she did add poultry seasoning and sage.

I messed around with the stuffing recipe recipe for decades and no one ever knew what they were going to get on the big day.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,925 times
I've not heard of butter in stuffing. Thanks for sharing the recipe, though.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
I've not heard of butter in stuffing. Thanks for sharing the recipe, though.
My ex was from the south, so she had a lot of ideas about food that were quite different than my own. Her family heirloom recipe nearly caused WWIII at our first shared Thanksgiving together. The four ingredients were oatmeal, butter (LOTS of butter), onions, and broth. I had been raised on bread stuffing, ala Pepperidge farm, and I was aghast at her description of what she wanted to do, but after losing a coin toss I let her make it, and in trade I got to have my treasured mashed rutabaga on the table, which she had been opposed to.

Turns out I loved it. Many years and many miles later it has a permanent place in my T-Day ritual. Sometime back I found out it is a traditional dressing from Scotland known as Skirlie.

Here's a fairly good recipe for it...

Dress Your Turkey in Something New: Oatmeal, Wild Rice | Eat this now

Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
This is very similar to what I make for Thanksgiving except I don't use any meat. We prefer it with onion, celery, and mushrooms and lots of butter.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
My mom has been making it this way for years, she would also make plain stuffing for my Uncle. It had the pepperidge farm bread cubes, butter, onions, broth and poultry seasoning. My uncle was a picky eater.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,903 times
Our family has been using a sort of variation of this same recipe for years.. Nix the celery.
The sausage makes it so good..

Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,678 times
The last few years we have been making dressing in the crock pot to free up oven space. This recipe would work great in there, but it does take longer.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,903 times
I cant imagine crock pot dressing.. I'd try it though, at least once..
Post the recipe if you can..

Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
My recipe looks like the OP except I don't use mushrooms or sausage. Instead I add walnuts and raisins at the least and quite often small bits of apple or even mandarin orages to that. I like mine with a fruity taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes