Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think most of us will agree it is normal. Breaking up is always hard to do, but that doesn't mean other good things in your life will also end. Time is a great healer, time changes everything. You are not going to beleive it, and probably don't even want to hear it, but someone will come along and make everything better for you. Close friends don't take the place of a person who has moved out of your life, but they are a start, and they are always there for you. Take advantage of the friendship they offer, it will help you move on. Many of us have been where you are right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 05:36 PM

389 posts, read 777,044 times
I have never felt like that after a relationship, but then again, I've never been in one for that long. I was engaged once a few years back for only about 1 month to a month & a half. We broke it off because he was a dirty dog who deserved to rot & burn. uh, haha

Anyway, I think I was kinda down & out for a while. I kept tellin' myself that all men were no good & that I'd never find anyone decent. But that obviously wasn't true.

I'll say no. It ain't exactly "normal" to feel like killing yourself after any relationship goes bad. Still, a relationship that goes on for that long & just breaks off clean & painfully is heart renching. I think in your case it is normal.

Jessie

Old 07-05-2010, 07:08 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times
Maybe we shouldn't ask questions about what's normal behavior in a breakup. You wouldn't tell someone how he/she should feel after the death of a loved one, right? With death, I've always heard and believed that everyone grieves differently. A breakup is less severe than a death, but you're still going through the grieving process.

So, I think that everyone reacts to breakups differently and that no breakup is the same as another. As long as you don't hurt yourself or someone else, who cares what goes through your head? Do whatever it takes to distract yourself until you feel like you're ready to deal with it. Sooner or later, you'll probably realize that it's not such a big deal and you'll be able to move on.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
It boggles my mind that most of you think this is normal. How sad. I cannot imagine thinking about ending my life because a relationship ended. Thinking about suicide is NEVER "normal." I sincerely hope that those of you who have experienced that thought have sought and received psychological help because there will always be another breakup...and who's to say that those thoughts won't turn to action next time.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
but god has a plan for all of us!
It doesn't say anywhere it's a good plan, does it?

Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM

380 posts, read 691,827 times
The feeling itself is normal, however, it should be a passing thought. The hurt and pain feeling post-breakup is surreal and most often feels unbearable, but it's not healthy to have the longing feeling of being so depressed where you actually intend or plan to take your life. If you honestly feel that way-and only you and God know what's in the inside of you-you should talk to God, and seek spiritual counseling.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 11,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
The feeling itself is normal, however, it should be a passing thought. The hurt and pain feeling post-breakup is surreal and most often feels unbearable, but it's not healthy to have the longing feeling of being so depressed where you actually intend or plan to take your life. If you honestly feel that way-and only you and God know what's in the inside of you-you should talk to God, and seek spiritual counseling.
What if you know someone who has always been depressed and have always talked to you about thoughts of suicide? I just had a friend of mine text me something today about it. It's been an ongoing thing with her and I truly do not know how to handle it or what to say or do anymore. I do not want to just push it to the side and say "oh she says this all the time" cause when I say that is when she will probably do it and then I will be feeling so guilty for the rest of my life. It's a hard situation to be in knowing someone like that, but it is even harder to let that person go because honestly it is bringing me down too. I care about her but it is obvious that she does not care about herself and I have done all that I can and do not know what else to do. Now I get this text message today and am VERY worried but can't really do anything about it. OH and she knows that I am a HUGE WORRY WART....

Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
What your feeling may be the pain in your heart of loving someone and having to forcefully move on. Often, relationships last longer then they really should because people know they just aren't working out, yet, they aren't ready to let go for one reason or another ... Often fear of being a lone, or what if they don't find someone else, or maybe, they're hoping the other person will change. People don't change. Not unless they themselves want to change for them. You can't change for someone else, you will only grow to resent that person at a later time-

You should feel as though your life is worth significant deep, meaningful, driven, passionate purpose and if you don't know what that purpose is, or if you don't feel passionate about "life" then something is not right. Breakups take a lot out of someone, but you should still feeling as though you are worthy of someone who will love, respect, honor and "want" to be with you and hold this in high regard. If none of this is even close, then you should seek therapy for a while. There is absolutely nothing wrong with therapy, I think everyone in this world could benefit from sessions time to time, really. I want to add, you should look in the mirror and love yourself, you create your own happiness. Letting someone else bring you down is just not healthy ...The best thing you can do to get back at an ex is go on with life and be happy !!!!

Choose life and focus on the path ahead. Now is the time to create new goals, dreams, visions and chase them on your own !! You can't be with someone else if you can't even stand on your own.

In my honest opinion, if someone was seriously posting a thread about suicide, it would be their way of asking for help. In that, it's their first step in the right direction. They shouldn't be afraid to to seek an outside source in refocusing on life's journey.
Spot on!

In my most-recent relationship, I wanted my then-boyfriend to be someone different than he actually was; I wanted him to stand up to me when I got out of line (which happened a lot), but he NEVER did until he said one day that our relationship was finally over. I'm sure he wanted me to change my (another term for a female-doggy)-like ways, but I didn't until AFTER the breakup. I then realized that I had to change for my OWN well-being if I ever wanted to be happy and have a successful romantic relationship in the future. The breakup was (and still is at times) tough to deal with...but I'll eventually get over it. I don't like the feeling of being "alone" though, especially when I am surrounded by couples. It's all a learning-experience.

As for the issue surrounding the feelings and thoughts of suicide, it's definitely a cry for help during times of intense stress and imbalance in one's life! I have personally had fleeting suicidal thoughts since attending college, but not so much anymore since I've gotten used to the stress.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
It's never normal for men to think that way after a divorce or a break up. After a break up, it's heavily recommended that they seek a therapist immediately.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
We have all been through relationship breakups. They can be very difficult to handle, causing anger, depression, and causing self doubt and loss of confidence.

Those of us who claim that we are strong souls and would not allow a breakup to cause self doubt and sadness are either 1. very strong Herculean souls
2. not telling the truth

It is natural to hurt after a breakup---it is a morose part of life and can cause great emotional stress. The first couple of weeks are very difficult----try to talk to your friends and family members as much as possible to cope with reinforcement. Life does go on and after the passage of some time, you tend to collect yourself and join the battle again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships